Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Antique Tiki Prints

Pages: 1 18 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 5, 2009 9:01 AM

Aloha Amigos! This is where I will show my collection of Antique Prints. I found them trough the years in old bookstores in Barcelona, Madrid, Morocco, Mexico and France... This are OLD. I guess there's not many prints like this in the U.S.A. since the country didn't even existed when the prints were created. They are extremely rare because most of them are in collections and libraries already so it's difficult to find them "in the wild" These were not cheap, but are worth every cent, they have so much detail that it's a pleasure to look at the lines, sadly, it's hard to appreciate it on a computer screen. Another great thing about antique prints is that you can scan them in high resolution and reprint them in any size and they don't loose their crispiness, don't get pixelated, blurry or anything like that. But most important, they are the first document of the clash between the two worlds, the cultural shock, "the civilized and the primitive" "the illustrated and the savage" The first impression of "the other" The birth of the modern... This are the images that started Polynesian pop and the fascination with the exotic. This is what the Avant garde artists like Gaugin, Picasso, Max Ernst etc, etc... saw that blew their minds and made them forget about representative art and start drawing from imagination... This is as Tiki as it gets. Enjoy! If you have some, please share!

Look at the Tiki (New Caledonia) smiling to the horror! Scary and beautiful!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 4:36 AM

1917 Spanish Magazine

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Mar 18, 2009 10:53 PM

The detail is amazing.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 10:32 AM

Porcupine fish

Hand colored...

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2009 12:54 AM

Those are awesome...great collection. I just love drawings like that and the detail is amazing. Do you have them framed yet?

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 9:10 AM

Mucho mahalo VampiressRN! and yes I have them framed... Also, I scanned and turned some into poster size... They look pretty tikirrific!

Zeta!
These are WONderful!!! I want to see them all up close!

Thanks for sharing - give us more!
F

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 4:13 PM

Mahalo Formikahini, I bet you could find and share some old prints yourself, just look in old books... Or in new books for reproductions.

I scanned a number of old prints a while back and put them up in a gallery of Vintage Oceania on my weblog.

This Easter Island lithograph from an old issue of Harper's Weekly is my favorite:

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 10:09 AM

Gracias Mr. BaliHai! That one is awesome! I bet Bigbrotiki knows who did that piece of art.

What does tabu means? ...
Old print...

On 2009-02-05 09:01, Zeta wrote:

Looks like Crazy Al at the last Tiki Oasis!!! :D

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

That piece of art is a Moai Kava Kava from Easter Island, although I have never seen one with a skirt before. Artistic license, perhaps, to appease publishers in prudish times.

Great scans people, wonderful stuff, keep it coming!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 12:09 PM

Hola James, I bet you have some great scans too!

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 6:38 PM

Found in Barcelona. Give away gift that came with cigars.
Shirley Temple

Who signed that surf board? when? We need an expert...

Here's a little bit of an article from a book, says it was back in 1935, not sure of the signature, probably
Duke Kahanamoku and others..
http://books.google.com/books?id=6J3UWvHckPUC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=shirley+temple+surfing&source=bl&ots=1BpFoPvu5e&sig=_PBdVM5ltABUtgy_AGuufQY-wXs&hl=en&ei=mxVZS-3NDpCCsgOyydzGBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CCwQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=shirley%20temple%20surfing&f=false

http://www.beachbumz.com

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-01-21 19:21 ]

Her board was presented to her and signed by the Waikiki Beach Patrol: John Makua, Sam Colgate, Dave Baptiste, Ted Waters, Chick Daniels, Curly Cornwall, Pua 'Ox' Kealoha, Sally Hale, Joe Minor.

These guys were Beachboys. Serving as lifeguards, surf instructors, giving outrigger rides, etc.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 2:52 PM

Mucho mahalo Beachbumz and Tiki Royale!

Hawaiian feather mask

biutiful!

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 25, 2010 5:45 AM

Burn Tiki Burn!

Pages: 1 18 replies