Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

March 1st Exotiki, The Hula Girls, The ? Trio and Sidewynders at The Redwood Bar & Grill

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

Hillbilly DJ Jeff W presents brunch Americana at The Redwoood Bar & Grill
Starts at noon and goes till 6PM
All ages too! With a full bar & excellent food

Exotiki is the headliner (Please come and support my great friend Dartin Menny) http://www.myspace.com/exotikimusic

The Hula Girls (also members of TC and a fun band to see) http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

The Sidewynders http://www.myspace.com/thesidewynders

The ? Trio (sorry no hints on this one, but believe me you'll want to be there, if you miss it you'll cry!)

The Redwood Bar & Grill
316 West 2nd street
Los Angeles, Ca 90026

myspace.com/samsbrunchfoodmusic

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2009-02-25 16:59 ]

Tell all your friends about this show and be sure to mark your calendars for this one.

Who's the ? Trio ???

:wink:

This is going to be a GREAT gig!

It's one of those things like, whats behind curtain number one? You just know it's going to be great!

I have an Idea,
but I've been sworn to secrecy.
if its who I think it is,
I will be kinda bummed.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:
I have an Idea,
I will be kinda bummed.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

haha

I know... it's gonna be horrible.

....... or is it?

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-02-13 01:17 ]

On 2009-02-13 01:17, Dartin Menny wrote:

bigtikidude wrote:
I have an Idea,
I will be kinda bummed.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

haha

I know... it's gonna be horrible.

....... or is it?

It's a treat, an award winner, the toy in the cracker Jack box, the excitement of a shiny new bicyle, the fun you have on a roller coaster ride, it's something old and something new but nothing blue, but it's a surprise that you'll have to wait for!

Just added to this show The Hula Girls!

TM

You don't want to miss this one! The special guest stars in the ??? trio will blow your socks off!

Very happy the Hula Girls on board for this show!

Speaking for all of the 'Girls, we're very happy to be on the show! Can't wait to hear you guys live...

This show is a week from tomorrow, Exotiki along with The Hula Girls this is a tiki Central members dream. Not to mention the ??? Trio is a very special treat. I hope you all can make it.

is it ? Mark and the Mysterions?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm in !

On 2009-02-21 13:05, bigtikidude wrote:
is it ? Mark and the Mysterions?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

You'll just have to go to find out who the ??? Trio is.

On 2009-02-21 16:15, Hiphipahula wrote:
I'm in !

Yippy, the more the merrier.

T

What's the itinerary? When do the bands perform? We'd like to make it, but I wanna make sure we catch the performances!

Mahalo!

The doors open at noon, the order of the bands are (times my vary slightly if bands run behind or over their set time)

1:00 The Hula Girls
1:50 The Sidewynders
3:00 ??? Trio
4:00 Exotiki

Try to get there berfore one, if you can.... We are debuting our new line-up, as well as a couple of new songs... You guys are gonna love 'Curse of the Tiki'.

plus they have a killer brunch there.
mmmmmmmm

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I was in the ??? Trio but I quit because they kept forgetting my name. HEYO!

• Luckydesigns wrote:*
    Try to get there berfore one, if you can.... We are debuting our new line-up, as well as a couple of new songs... You guys are gonna love 'Curse of the Tiki'.

Can't wait to see The Hula Girls!

Tiki a Fair,
I sent you a PM

Jeff(btd)

Thanks goes to suzy for her great flyer.

Wow!! Snazzy Flyer Suzy.

I'm there with Bells on.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Change in band order and times

12:30 The Sidewynders
2:00 The Hula Girls
3:00 ??? Trio
4:00ish Exotiki

You HAVE to announce the mystery band!! It's killing me not to tell anyone! Let me just say that we are super excited to be on this bill!

is it Dick Dale and his bass player and drummer?
he's in town.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-02-26 20:29, bigtikidude wrote:
is it Dick Dale and his bass player and drummer?
he's in town.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Not even close! Keep guessing.

On 2009-02-26 20:14, Luckydesigns wrote:
You HAVE to announce the mystery band!! It's killing me not to tell anyone! Let me just say that we are super excited to be on this bill!

Patience young grasshopper, soon enough. Just think of it as a Christmas gift, your dieing to tell someone what they are getting but if you do the suprise would be ruined.

On 2009-02-26 20:14, Luckydesigns wrote:

Patience young grasshopper, soon enough. Just think of it as a Christmas gift, your dieing to tell someone what they are getting but if you do the suprise would be ruined.

what style music are they?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-02-26 20:46, bigtikidude wrote:
what style music are they?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sorry no hints, but it is a show that gets Hillbilly Jeff's seal of approval, so you know it just has to be good.

Bumpity Bump....

2 more days....

One more day!

this is gonna be good,
I can't wait.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Drum roll please, The ??? Trio is none other then

Robert of Big Sandy

Kevin of Exotiki & Big Sandy

And

Al of The Midnight Cruisers!

There you have it folks, your mystery is over and you should be excited!

Your wait is over, it's here, it's today, a great day of bands, food, friends & cocktails. cheers!

wow cool. I'm leavin soon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

Hillbilly Jeff and tiki a ffair always put on awesome shows, this one no exception! The Sidewinders, Big Sandy and Exotiki, who you have to see to believe! It was so good!

TM

Big Sandy and Kevin (Dartin Menny) Big Sandy (despite his success) is a real nice guy, and pretty funny on stage, full of self-depreciating jokes. And man, he can SING! At times, it really seems as though he is channeling early Elvis...but he has his own style. The guitarist is Al Martinez? (did I get that name right?) who excelled in a tex-mex style that sounded really cool! Kevin (Dartin Menny) was pulling off many intricate slap-style things (Like triple slaps) but instead of making it "acrobatic" (as too many slap players seem to do), he made it all sound really "musical". The tone of his bass filled the room, even though he was not using an amp.
All in all, this is the typical caliber of the players coming into the Redwood. These are bands you are going to be paying 40 bucks for tickets, when they appear at the Hootenanny, and other events.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-03-02 09:55 ]

TM

Exo-Tiki.
Just prior to their set, Big Tiki Dude tells me "Prepare to be blown away"....well, he certainly wasn't kidding! This is a band that perfectly melds Exotica with Hawaiian music....damn excellent! It's a weird looking band, though...some obvious jazzers and a couple of guys that look like they were on "the Sopranos"....(check out the Paulie Walnuts-looking percussionist on the far right). The guitarist on the far left was just amazing, somehow able to bring in a Django Rheinhart style to an exotica band, and it worked! The leader, on steel guitar, had a very lush and beautiful sound. And of course there is Kevin (Dartin Menny)...you would figure that a guy that good would have an attitude...but he doesn't. He was smiling the whole time, and worked his ass off playing with Big Sandy just before he did another set with Exo-Tiki!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-03-02 09:48 ]

Glad you enjoyed everything Lucas! It was good to meet you (again :wink: ) and Spike. Both of you are great guys and we need to have some more beers together next time...

It was great to hear the Hula Girls finally as well! Great band! Cool, original sound... not like everything else you hear these days... which is very refreshing!!! :)

Your new steel player was great as well. And all of the new songs you guys played you played very well! We will be playing with you guys again soon, I'm sure.

Too bad there weren't more 'tiki' music folks there supporting and helpin' keep it alive!

Big Tiki Dude... it was good to see you there too! I will get you some music soon....honest.

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:18 ]

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:19 ]

TM

On 2009-03-02 10:15, Dartin Menny wrote:

Too bad there weren't more 'tiki' music folks there supporting and helpin' keep it alive!

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:18 ]

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:19 ]

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah...I mean, your band "Exo-tiki" is (Like Tikiyaki Orchestra) the very epitome of all things Tiki. The Redwood was packed, but not by many Tiki central people. There should have been a huge turn out of mug collectors and what not.
Exo-Tiki is of the highest musical caliber. Not just another surf band of garage musicians who "dabble" in exotica, (but don't quite have the chops). These guys are heavy hitters. It was something that people who are home listening to martin Denny and Arthur Lyman on a regular basis would have LOVED.
The good news is that this band will be playing at the boo-bens shindig in May. You will see and hear what I am talking about.

Tiki-a-fair, thanks again for hosting this thing. We are always honered to play! I anxiously await more pictures!

Amazing show yesterday,
I too was bummed that there wasn't more TC people there.
but there was Suzy(Atomic kitty, and Adam) and Maid Marion also.

all top notch musicians.
love the redwood shows,
especially when there is a mix of tiki also.
but even the all roots rock/country ones are good too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

Though I talked about them at lenght the last time I saw them, I don't want to leave out the Sidewinders. These guys are the "goods" as far as I am concerned! Excellent no-fuss rockabilly band. You have to see them!

C

I'm bummed I missed it. After attending the Kona show Saturday night and having a bunch of things to do Sunday I never was able to get away up north.

What kind of stuff did Big Sandy do? His usually rab/hillbilly/doo-wop/etc (at which he's great), or something unexpected with the Hawaiiana theme? I love the masks!

That Django styled guitarist in Exotiki is Jeff Ross. I remember him and John Jorgenson blowing my mind in the mid-80's when they played with Levi Dexter at Club Lingerie and were both just going to town with dueling jazzy western swing guitar excursions (years before the arrival of bands like Big Sandy, Lucky Stars, etc who now do it so well). He also used to play in the later Rank & File, and has played with many other people. He's one of those amazing guys who can play anything, but I think the Gypsy jazz/Hawaiian style must be his true enjoyment.

Brent

[ Edited by: congawa 2009-03-02 16:57 ]

Brent,
I really Like Big Sandy's music, but I'm not real familiar with it.
I don't own any of his cds( I know, a crime)but I have seen him probably 15 to 20 times in the last 15 years.

I believe he did a mix of some of his older songs he doesn't play anymore,
and really cool cover songs of old stuff, and other local bands he really likes.

sorry you couldn't make it.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 2 58 replies