Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

velvet paintings

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 460 replies

Hi all,
I'm delighted to have found fellow Tiki Freaks! I recently bought a pair of gorgeous velvet paintings of some Polynesian maidens by an artist named Ben Alano. Some research into velvet painting turned up lots on Edgar Leeteg (very cool), but precious little on Mr. Alano. I know that he is from the Phillipines. The seller told me that the paintings were being sold on behalf of a widow whose husband was in the service and brought the paintings back sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

deanking69, Welcome to the tribe! Not sure about velvets myself - however, I'm sure someone here can give you some info.

Nice to have you on board.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 9:05 PM

got any pics?

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 9:08 PM

oh ya, welcome to da village. I have a velvet painted by Bill Erwin. He did some wahine paintings fo da Tahitian Lanai as well as Leeteg.

On 2003-03-26 17:51, deanking69 wrote:
Hi all,
I'm delighted to have found fellow Tiki Freaks! I recently bought a pair of gorgeous velvet paintings of some Polynesian maidens by an artist named Ben Alano. Some research into velvet painting turned up lots on Edgar Leeteg (very cool), but precious little on Mr. Alano. I know that he is from the Phillipines. The seller told me that the paintings were being sold on behalf of a widow whose husband was in the service and brought the paintings back sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

Hello deanking69

Have you received the message I sent you?
Do you have some photos of Polynesian or Hawaiian
dancers which I could paint or anyone here in the
site who could also provide.
Please e-mail me so I could give my address where
to mail the photos.

Many thanks,
Leah Alano Brito

[ Edited by: marialeah59 2006-10-22 01:22 ]

[ Edited by: marialeah59 2006-10-22 01:31 ]

I picked this up yesterday at the Antique Expo for $40. It has to be from the 50s judging from the condition and original frame. Anyone ever heard of the artist?? It is signed Agulto and I would suspect from the name the artist would be from the Phillipines. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks!

One of my favorite finds. Good size 33" by 28". Colors are very bright. This pic was taken with the mood lighting down in my lounge. Hard to make out the signiture though. Looks to be similar to a painting above the bar of the Volcano posted over on the genaral tiki thread. Found in a barn at an antique store here in Michigan. You never know until you look.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 10:03 AM

Damn Uncle Trav, that's nice! Can GROG have that? GROG like.

One of these days if/when GROG has some time, GROG going to have to try GROG' hand at doing a black velvet painting.

Heres one with the lights up to show more of the colors

T

The first pic looks better and I can't believe what you are finding in MIch. I can't seem to find anything that you are finding. I guess that I will keep my eyes open for more barns. Which city was the barn in if you can tell.

Wow,

This kinda intrigued me today:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/gms/341867408.html

ESTATE SALE OF "BUS" & LYNN PENDLETON (SACRAMENTO). What caught eye in the ad was they were selling "Paintings of Native Girls on Black Velvet from the old Zombie Hut Restaurant" which, in addition to the Hereford House Restuarant, were owned by Bus Pendleton.

The sale began at 9:00 a.m. I did not make there until 12:30 and didn't expect to find much. I was surprised to find both velvet paintings still for sale. One looked Polynesian and the other had more of a European look to it so I bought the Polynesian one:

I was unable to read the signature. To further complicate matters, the cord for the light was in a hole that went from the den into the garage, where the cord was plugged into an outlet. I paid for the picture, went out to the garage, cut the cord and went back into the house and removed the picture from the wall.

Inscribed on the back was the folllowing: "Native Dancer" Orignial Oil On Silk Velvet, No Copies-No Duplicates, Burke Tyree 1964, $150.00! I didn't say anything to the estate sales people, although they did tell me the children of this estate kept all the Leeteg velvets.

I can read the signature now! I love it!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and now I have a velvet painting from the Zombie Hut and by Burks Tyree)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-06-01 16:44 ]

Very nice Psycho, very nice indeed. I don't suppose you took a picture of the 'European looking' one by any chance? Would love to see it too...

ch

cheeky half,

No, unfortunatley I did not, the painting was actually on the wall behind the "counter" of items being sold by the estate people. They told me the painting was done by a Sacramento artist and I could not read the signature on this one either. I asked them to call me if it didn't sell.

The painting itself looked to be of a topless girl of either Spanish or South American heritage. She wore a sash around her hips and a bandana or sash on her head. It was very well done and if the other one wasn't there I might have bought it, although they were asking $200.00 for it.

If they contact me I will let you know.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and days like these make it easy)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-06-01 16:54 ]

FANTASTIC FIND !!!! Congrats !

• Senorita Hollywood ( I went to sales today and all I got was a Vintage Velveeta box)

Wow! Nice piece! Considering the two Tyree velvets currently on Ebay are being sold for $1000 & $2000 respectively, I'd say you got a good deal!

Chris

On 2007-06-04 00:46, Kona Chris wrote:
Wow! Nice piece! Considering the two Tyree velvets currently on Ebay are being sold for $1000 & $2000 respectively, I'd say you got a good deal!

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Wow, I had no idea they were that expensive! Note the $150.00 was the original asking price back in 1964...I paid less than that, though how much I'd rather not say, just in case I decide to sell it someday. This is probably one of the nicest detailed velvets I have seen.

For now, she will sit alongside my other velvets until I complete my garage/bar conversion.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I am surprised at how much this might be worth)!

L

Hey psycho great find - If you decide to sell put me on the list at that looks just filipino enough to really piss off my wife.

"Polynesian Princess" by Rojas.

PTD

Greetings,

May I ask how much were you able to buy these Ben Alano paintings. I am interested to buy some pieces locally and your price reference would be very helpful.

Good day then. . .

On 2003-03-26 17:51, deanking69 wrote:
Hi all,

I have been finding quite a few velvets lately, but the quality of most of them has been poor.

I picked this one up today...

I have named this one "Last Call".

Now granted, this does not scream tiki, but I have seen places that infuse indigenous people amongst the tried and true Polynesian velvets and this one has exceptional skill applied to it. Not sure of the origin of the individual in the painting, nor am I able to read the signature of the artist. I am able to make out the date "1964" and the detail of the frame leads me to believe this wasn't an inexpensive purchase originally.

Can anyone make out the signature or do you know anything about the artist? I probably won't keep this, but I couldn't leave where it was.

Thanks,

PTD

HOK

Thanks Freddie,

I believe you are correct and it looks like I might have found a new artist to collect. Amazing what you find if you look long enough!

Wow! The ones listed are going for $1,100.00?? I am stunned!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-05 17:18 ]

How odd - the nude figure study is sold but none of the Secretaries-General of the United Nations are.

On 2008-05-05 17:22, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
How odd - the nude figure study is sold but none of the Secretaries-General of the United Nations are.

Nothing odd about that?? I would have never looked twice. Now the nude study...that's another story!

PTD

I have about twelve different velvets in my collection, of which five
are Leetegs.This one I am not sure of the artist but she is gorgeous with
great color and detail.
Thanks,
Trader Bill

I believe this its a Tyree

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-01-31 01:15 ]

On 2008-05-06 21:28, 1961surf wrote:
I have about twelve different velvets in my collection, of which five
are Leetegs.

How about some shots of the other 11. Not sure of the artist of the one you showed, any signature?

I would really like to see the Leetegs!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-07 12:56 ]

Here ya go Psycho Tiki D
The first is the most well known called Hina Rapa(aka the Chi Chi girl)
The second one is the called Tematai # 11
I will post more when I have the time.
Enjoy,
Trader Bill

Here is another Leeteg.Spear Fisherman.
There is a mate that was made for this called hukilau wahine #7
Here is a picture of her

I guess nobody has a comment about my Leeteg velvets.
Psycho Tiki D what happen to you.You wanted to see some
pics, yet no response!I am so glad I have these to grace
my wall to look at everyday.After all I bought them -because
I liked em !

Hey, I'm here, perhaps either too jealous or too overwhelmed to respond? How did you come about so many amazing scores anyway? Having them is one thing, but the story behind how you found them is another.

Do tell? And "thank you" for posting those pictures, they are truly great renditions of a velvet master!

PTD

T

Yeh 1961surf, Keep the pictures coming!! Those Leetegs are very nice!! Great to see them in people's collections who appreciate them and love their beauty!!
Stories about how you got them are good to as it makes us all dream it may happen to us one day!!
TabooDan

Here ya go-another Leeteg.
This is called Tahitian chief
Enjoy !
Trader Bill

TabooDan,
I am glad you like and appreciate vintage velvets.They really are so so COOL.
You cant have velvets in hot dry weather, and no exposure to the sun ever, or
they get ruined.Secondly ,you have to be very careful cleaning them to so you
don't damage them.I find that blue masking tape works well getting minor lint
and dust off of them.

V

Great collection.
I love velvet paintings. I have the Hina Rapa that used to stand at the Kahiki, made by Lavisse.

Even though I didn't sell my Chotai Yonaha on E-Bay, I still decided to go ahead and pick these today...

Painted by Joe Sabala? 1970.

Cant read the signature on this one. This and the first one have matching frames.

Painted by Link, Hawaii.

They need some cleaning and TLC but overall a very good score today!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I am a little crazy about velvets)!

Here is another painting from my velvet collection , found at one of my favorite flea
markets.Although not a Hawaiian or Polynesian theme ,she is beautiful nude velvet.
I must have seen a hundred people walk right past her sitting next to some
clutter, old antiques and who knows what else, yet no one stopped to look
or comment about her .I was shocked.I casually swooped on over to get a better peek.
Took one gander ,and knew I had to add her to my collection.I worked my magic, went
into negotiation mode and within minutes I was the proud new owner.Bye the way ,
don't we all have that one flea market you tend to like the best or you have had the best
luck with over others -this was one of those type of places.My pic doesn't do her justice .
Hope you like and approve of her!
Aloha-Trader Bill

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-08-06 00:45 ]

Nice scores Tiki D

On 2008-08-06 23:44, 1961surf wrote:
Nice scores Tiki D

Thank you and back at ya!

PTD

Since both these threads got bumped recently, I thought I'd point out an observation 'uncle trav' made:
Compare 'uncle trav's' velvet painting, from page 1 of this thread, with the painting in the Bora Bora Lounge of the Volcano Restaurant (circa 1968, page 7 of this very interesting thread).

On 2007-03-11 16:45, uncle trav wrote:
Looks to be similar to a painting above the bar of the Volcano posted over on the General Tiki thread...
Heres one with the lights up to show more of the colors

On 2007-03-02 18:05, Volcano Girl wrote:
"...this next one was... taken of one of the dining room waitresses on break in the Tiki Lounge."

"Similar"? Apparently a popular painting, at one time. Heck, wish I had one, too!

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-08-08 17:44 ]

Look real close.Totally different girl , different painting,probably different artist,
similar though-great colors.

T

Here is a nice piece I found at a yard sale this summer. I guess you can't call it a nude, she is wearing stockings. LOL

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-08-10 03:48 ]

There's some cool stuff here. The two velvets I have are so crummy that I cut one up to test the fabrics' fade resistance!

Here are two black velvets that hang in the Kailua Bar... plus a black burlap.
Hope you like.
KG

My back bar with the lights down low

Daytime...

A Leeteg copy from the Davis Gallery in Waikiki...

Flounderart (on black burlap, actually.)

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2008-08-13 05:48 ]

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2008-08-13 05:51 ]

I know this thread is for collecting velvets, but does anyone know where I can find the type of very short nap velvet these old artists used?

Or the super-cool Mexican frames! Is anyone still making this stuff?

Thanks for any help offered - TCers are the greatest source of knowledge I've ever seen.

Hey, Jeff! Why haven't we seen more pics of your place. It looks killer. C'mon and share!

On 2008-08-14 15:56, Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey, Jeff! Why haven't we seen more pics of your place. It looks killer. C'mon and share!

Are you talking to me?...
Are you talking to me!...

If so, check out the carving post. I just picked up on an old thread about our modest hut and posted some pics.
K-GEOFF

Found this one yesterday...

A nice velvet, but I need help with the signature?

Anyone??

Thanks,

PTD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 460 replies