Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Sweetpea on Kauai May 13-19 2012

Pages: 1 31 replies

Gonna check all the threads for stuff to do that I haven't done before, but mostly will be hanging out here
http://www.lawaibeach.org/
and just crossing the street for snorkeling and
hanging out on the beach. need some relaxing time.
But always up for a tiki drink somewhere.
Pea

[ Edited by: sweetpea 2012-05-09 09:54 ]

H

Aloha, sweetpea! I was down in that part of Kauai (at Kiahuna Plantation) in November, and it was great. You're not far from Poipu Shopping Village, which has a place called Keoki's Paradise http://www.keokisparadise.com/ . It's kind of "nouveau tiki" - they've tried to get the vibe, and while it's worth a visit just because you're so close, don't expect great drinks. We were pretty disappointed. Maybe we just had a bad bartender and you'll have better luck. The food was quite good, though, and like I said, since you're so close, it's worth doing.

Also nearby and worth a look is CasaBlanca restaurant, just down the road a bit more from the Poipu Shopping Village, at the Kiahuna Swim and Tennis Club. It sounds all country-clubby from the name, but it was actually a very laid-back little restaurant and bar with nice food, very good drinks, and a local guy playing guitar (at least the night we were there he was). Very relaxed and a nice vibe.

Another recommendation in your neighborhood - though it's not tiki per se - is Plantation Gardens at Kiahuna Plantation. Fabulous (though pricey) restaurant set in an orchid garden. The best food we ate on the whole trip! It was our big splurge meal, and it was worth every penny! The drinks were great, too. Reservations are a must, though.

If you can do a little road trip, check out Tahiti Nui up in Hanalei (see this post for details - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30561&forum=16&13 )for wonderful old-school tiki.

Have a great time!

Thanks much for the info Hibiscus.
Last time we went to Kauai we did hit Keoki's. Took my mom there and we really liked it. so pretty and so relaxing. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
I wish I was there now!
just wanna be in the water hanging out with the fishies and turtles!

...and also the chickens! It is Kauai, after all, and poultry is everywhere! :wink:

Aloha Pea, Hey you will be right in my neighborhood! Let go see The Takeoffs play at the Sheraton on Sunday!

P

I just want to take this opportunity to express my hatred for everyone who is, will be or is even thinking about being in Kauai when I'm stuck here in Florida.

Lucky ducks.

Dang.

On 2009-02-23 20:57, pablus wrote:

I just want to take this opportunity to express my hatred for everyone who is, will be or is even thinking about being in Kauai when I'm stuck here in Florida.

Lucky ducks.

Dang.

and just how much ice and snow and below freezing temps didja have there in florida this winter? haha, I bet most for most of us going it's a well deserved vacation. :wink:

S

On 2009-02-23 12:49, Chongolio wrote:
Aloha Pea, Hey you will be right in my neighborhood! Let go see The Takeoffs play at the Sheraton on Sunday!

Sounds perfect!
I got yer number, so I'll give you a holler! YAY!
Can't wait. especially since they say it might snow here tonight. again. blech.

B

On 2009-02-24 12:20, sweetpea wrote:

On 2009-02-23 20:57, pablus wrote:

Lucky ducks.

Dang.

and just how much ice and snow and below freezing temps didja have there in florida this winter? haha, I bet most for most of us going it's a well deserved vacation. :wink:

AMEN!

And do watch out for those chickens. We witnessed a near chicken fatality while enjoying a plate lunch in Kauai one afternoon. The bird got totally whacked by a car. It flopped around in the road before working its way to the sidewalk where it gathered its wits, shook it off, and proceeded on its merry way. Bizarre.

Have fun. We'll be jealous.
-Duke and Amy

Hey Pea,

Hope you have a great time!! Just got back from Maui on Monday. Elise had the best time playing in the waves, the wife was eaten by a shark, but that stuff happens:) It's so nice to leave the Seattle cold for a week.. BTW, don't order a MaiTai at Cheeseburgers in Paradise!

S

YAY!!! I leave tomorrow, and guess what the Alaska airlines website says...

Hawaii Flights
Main Cabin - On flights to Hawaii a complimentary Mai Tai or POG shortly after takeoff. In addition to a beverage service, you can purchase one of our Northern Bites meals, some with a special taste of the islands. Northern Bites meals are not offered on overnight ("redeye") flights. A choice of Picnic Packs are offered for purchase on all Hawaii flights.

woohoooo!!! mai tai!!!! hope it doesnt suck, but, it's free! probably made with pog, but I LOVE POG!!!!

Yay, gonna check the other threads. any suggestions for saturday am breakfast near Lihue???

Thanks everyone!

Hey Sweetpea,
have a great trip.
my parents have a time share on Kauai and I have been there 2 times.
there place is in Poipu ,
But they travel all over the Island and go to lots of different places to eat.
they are suggesting a Place in Wailua 15min North of Lihue,
called Eggberts, at the Coconut Grove Market place.
where all the tall palm trees are on the right side,
just past a Golf Course.

good luck,
have fun.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I had a great time meeting SweetPea and her Ohana for pupus, good conversation and awesome surf tunes under a beautiful Hawaiian sky. Good times and good folks to da max!

One more killer eve with Sweetpea, Dee and Bob! We all know how cool Sweetpea is well when you meet her parents you can trace it back to the source. Very very chill folks. We ate ono kabobs, veggies, cajun beans and rice and Liliko pie Oh my! Lots of great conversation and plenty of aloha. I miss 'um already.

S

Hey Chongolio!
Mahalo for the great hospitality on Kauai!
Next time my dad may be ready for those paddle surfing lessons! hahahaha
Hope you are having a great time in Cali!
Pea

L

Pea I saw all your pics on Myspace. It looks like you had a wonderful time!

S

Thanks Leleliz!
It was a very nice time, and the weather was great, and the snorkeling was great! and it woas super fun seeing Chongolio!
YAY

S

Bigtikidude, didnt make it to eat at Eggberts, but went by there one day and my mom said it was good. (we had already eaten that day)
Had breakfast one morning at the Oki diner.
Good pancakes with eggs and bacon or portugese sausage.
pretty tasty, a tad expensive, even for hawaii, and skip that strawberry syrup and the coconut syrup too. gross.

they said the best place for breakfast was Ma's Kitchen real close to the airport, but sadly Ma passed away. at it closed.

I never got to go there either.
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What, no pics?!? :D

S

Pretty Pix, 'Pea! You certainly have an eye with the lens. Beautiful shots of the plumage. I really love the one of "Surfer Sweetpea" !

Welcome home! See ya SOON~

-Andy

Sweetpea, your pictures bring back fond memories of my first and only trip to the Islands.

In addition to 2 days on Oahu, I spent 6 at the exact same Lawai Beach Resort. That was back in '95, and it is wild to see that nothing there has changed.

I was lucky to get an invite from a good friend and her family who purchased time at 2 units there. It was great to trade Wisconsin January for Kauai January.

I also enjoyed just walking across the street to surf the reef out front of just put on a mask and be wowed by the ocean life.

Just a walk down the street allowed a view of the blowhole.

I also did a few trips to other parts of the island... Waimea Canyon, Hanalei Bay and a helicopter tour.

Thanks for sharing the pictures... reminds me I have to get back there someday!

Hi Sweetpea!, thanks for posting your pics of Kauai and for sharing your experiences. My wife, son and daughter and I will be in Kauai for a total of 10 days starting next Friday. Your pics are very good and are making us that much more anxious to be getting there!
Although this will be our 3rd trip to the island it's been 10 years since our last visit. Alot has changed I'm sure.
We'll be staying in Kapaa, but plan on getting all around the island, snorkeling, kayaking, and also hitting some of the places that have been recommended on various threads including Tahiti Nui, Havaiki, Dukes, and especially the new tasting room at the Koloa Rum Company!
How were The Takeoffs? and also is there any one thing that you would recommend that I might otherwise miss?

Thanks, Ed

And also, Chongolio, if your out there, would love to meet you. Maybe lunch, drinks, whatever!

On 2009-06-07 03:00, EdsGoneTiki wrote:
Hi Sweetpea!, thanks for posting your pics of Kauai and for sharing your experiences. My wife, son and daughter and I will be in Kauai for a total of 10 days starting next Friday. Your pics are very good and are making us that much more anxious to be getting there!

WoooHooo! Can you pack me in your suitcase??? I hope you have a Tiki-rrific Trip!
Take lots of pics to post :)

S

aaaaaaand I'm going back to Kaua again leaving this sunday!!!! Can't wait.
Going to Tahiti Nui for sure, going to see Chongolio again,
and found out a friend from high school lives in Hanalei, so
hoping to see her too! Mostly lounging on our little Lawai
beach, and maybe some thrifting and fabric shopping.
Might try Port Allen Sunset Bar and Grill, anyone been there?
Hoping it will be good!
Sweetpea

Sweetpea, maybe we'll run into you at the beach! Are you staying at PK's?

S

I'll be staying down at Lawai Beach. Know I'm going to meet up with Chongolio
at some point. maybe we can all meet up somewhere. Where are you on the island?

S

Have a great time, Pea! I'm headed to the Big Island in a few weeks. I can't wait!

Suzanne

On 2012-05-11 14:22, sweetpea wrote:
I'll be staying down at Lawai Beach. Know I'm going to meet up with Chongolio
at some point. maybe we can all meet up somewhere. Where are you on the island?

We live in Omao, which is kinda Koloa, and I work with that Chongolio dude.

Pages: 1 31 replies