Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Big Beautiful Vintage 1962 Burke Tyree nude on velvet painting for sale...

Pages: 1 19 replies

Aloha everyone,

We just joined Tiki Central about 2 minutes ago and would like to thank the orginator(s) of this unique, user friendly forum for opportunity to post a quick blurb about a very cool & RARE estate find....

A STUNNING & Beautiful painting of a partially Nude vahine on black velvet by attributed Leeteg protégé, Ralph "Burke" Tyree, entitled "Polynesian Girl with Shell".

Signed by artist, lower right.

Titled & dated (1962) on back.

Artist's inventory number D-2.

Colored pigment on black velvet, ACTUAL painting (not including frame) measures 24" x 30".

Framed, with linen liner.

This was in storage for the last 25 years so it is in VERY EXCELLENT condition.

We prefer to NOT list this on eBay, as we are hoping someone will offer us a fair price for this jewel.

Since the market is all over the place on these things, I don't want to just arbitrarily come up with a price that starts too high, but then again, I don't need to sell it on the cheap either.

I do have faith that their are at least a few serious collectors out in Tiki-land that are willing to offer a FAIR price for a Nice, Big example in GREAT condition.

Buyer to pay us via our established PayPal account, or cash when picking up in San Diego, CA. 92103.

Possible delivery available to some SoCal locations for fee.

Shipping available via professional pack & ship (might be somewhat costly).

Photos available to serious buyers only, please.

Email at [email protected] or contact us by phone: 619-269-7245.

Mahalos,

William & Michelle

TS

On 2009-02-22 12:51, OGTiki1957 wrote:

I do have faith that their are at least a few serious collectors out in Tiki-land that are willing to offer a FAIR price for a Nice, Big example in GREAT condition.

Mahalos,

William & Michelle

You can catch more bees with honey, so why not show one photo, so we all know what the velvet art looks like?
Also, what is a "fair" price in your opinion?

edited for the wording velvet art, not print

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-02-22 16:49 ]

this, is gonna get good.

On 2009-02-22 12:51, OGTiki1957 wrote:
Aloha everyone,

We just joined Tiki Central about 2 minutes ago and would like to thank the orginator(s) of this unique, user friendly forum for opportunity to post a quick blurb about a very cool & RARE estate find....

A STUNNING & Beautiful painting of a partially Nude vahine on black velvet by attributed Leeteg protégé, Ralph "Burke" Tyree, entitled "Polynesian Girl with Shell".

Signed by artist, lower right.

Titled & dated (1962) on back.

Artist's inventory number D-2.

Colored pigment on black velvet, ACTUAL painting (not including frame) measures 24" x 30".

Framed, with linen liner.

This was in storage for the last 25 years so it is in VERY EXCELLENT condition.

We prefer to NOT list this on eBay, as we are hoping someone will offer us a fair price for this jewel.

Since the market is all over the place on these things, I don't want to just arbitrarily come up with a price that starts too high, but then again, I don't need to sell it on the cheap either.

Buyer to pay us via our established PayPal account, or cash when picking up in San Diego, CA. 92103.

Possible delivery available to some SoCal locations for fee.

Shipping available via professional pack & ship (might be somewhat costly).

Mahalos,

William & Michelle

As much as I love the fact that I own a Tyree velvet and I think any Tiki Central member that truly loves the Tyree/Velvet medium should seek out and purchase an example of one of the most talented and overlooked artists in this area of collecting...I have an extremely difficult time with a newbie coming here to post the following:

"Since the market is all over the place on these things, I don't want to just arbitrarily come up with a price that starts too high, but then again, I don't need to sell it on the cheap either.

I do have faith that their are at least a few serious collectors out in Tiki-land that are willing to offer a FAIR price for a Nice, Big example in GREAT condition".

Dear OGTiki1957,

Please oh, please, post this for sale on Ebay. Since the market is all over the place on these things, we here in Tiki-land are only concerned about not only making sure you don't sell this masterpiece at a "cheap" price, because we are only here to pay you a "fair" price. That being said, I offer you, upon verification of artist, $450.00. for your Tyree. Had you posted a picture or an idea of the price you wanted for this, I may have offered more.

Did you Google "Burke Tyree" and end up here? Gotta love your first post on Tiki Central...always a learning experience.

PTD (I know I am and $450.00 is my offer)!

Aloha Tiki-land~!

Thank you for the posts and continued emails.

We do appreciate everyone's comments and advice on the Tyree painting~!

We are emailing photos to those who have recently requested them~!

Hopefully we will find a good home for the painting in the next 5 or 6 days.

If not, we don't mind hanging on to it....it's really quite nice.

Apologies if we don't answer the emails right away tonite...we're watching the Oscars....

With much Aloha,

Michelle & William

M

Tyree is one of my favorite artists. The oil of his I obtained from Minnie's is a highlight of our meager collection. We also own a couple of Tyree velvets, varmint paintings, which are technically superb. This one in question is pretty good:

[images removed at image owner's request]

I lightened the images a bit as photographing velvets properly is one ornery task. My opinion is if someone has something to sell that we TC'ers may enjoy, I'd like to see it. Fair price? Oh, I have an idea. I am really good at "Price is Right" no matter what Martin says.

And the Oscar goes to.....who the F#@&% cares! The movies have sucked ever since John Wayne died.

Lookout,
midnite

[ Edited by hanford_lemoore - images removed at image owner's request - 2009-02-22 22:55 ]

Just to clear things up a bit, I wasn't, nor meant to have "sounded" brash. My "Catching bees with honey" statement was geared towards, "show us a picture to entice serious offers". The painting(honey), and serious buyers(the bees). I guess I am just used to people who have something to sell here, usually post at least one pic of the item. Maybe you are just "toying" with the idea, or fishing for interest, only if the offer is highly favorable? In any case, I wish you the best on selling the painting with no sarcasm. It could have easily been misinterpreted, and read that way. Welcome and Mahalos, Michelle and William to Tiki Central.

They are resellers and did their research and found us.
They are asking $2250 on another site.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-02-23 07:22 ]

This is why TikiCentralites need to hit more Estate sales.

TS

I go to local estate sales frequently, and I never have been fortunate enough, to find a velvet in the wild...Even the major thrift marts are getting savvy to "collectables", and have special sections built within the stores, to showcase their "antiques/collectables". One Major thrift even has its own online auction.

Aloha, good afternoon and thank you for all the response and replies~!

I do appreciate you taking down the photos and offering an honest assessment of the TC community.

I have been buying and selling antique & vintage fine & decorative art, objects, furnishings, et al since 1980 here in San Diego.

I have been blessed with countless opportunities to buy and sell some absolutely amazing treasures in nearly 30 years in "the business". To say more than that might be construed as bragging, and we're not in that business, so I'll leave it at that.

However, the knowledge to identify the majority of these treasures comes from the privilege of being once mentored by some of the most knowledgeable, forthright, and generous experts in the country with regards to antiques, fine art, and vintage.

In addition, I have invested in hundreds of reference books, auction catalogs, and periodicals; most read at least twice, and a great portion I continue to pour over, and over, and over, and, well you get the idea.

I was principally involved in what became the first of it's kind exhibition "ALOHA SPIRIT" at the California Heritage Museum in Santa Monica back in 1997, and the accompanying book.

In the last 10 years the Internet is an amazing source of information, constantly changing...
information on art and antiques, vintage, retro, etc., literally being added to or appended to literally minute to minute, in some cases.

Thankfully, some generous Tiki aficionados took the time to put some good biographical info on Ralph Burke Tyree out there in the last several years, and for that I am grateful.....

The reason I know this is because about 8-9 years ago I found an AMAZING original fine art oil on board painting signed "Tyree" ( on the floor leaning against a wall in an Salvation Army in downtown San Diego for 10 dollars)....and there was nearly NO info on him to be found on the web, back then.

That painting is now in the hands of a major gallery in Hawaii who are asking in the high 4 figures for it.

I will spare all of you the painful details by which it ended up there.

Most of the high profile hawaiiana fine art dealers like Doug Frazer, Don Severson, Robyn Buntin, et al, and to a (much) lesser extent, the controversial Mark Blackburn and Michael Horikawa, didn't know much about Tyree other than hearing his name as an attributed "protege" of Leeteg.

While I might not be inclined to call this Tyree nude on velvet we are offering as 'fine art", it IS big, very beautiful and in EXCELLENT condition.....and very COOL.

The bottom line is if it isn't COOL then why own it, right?

It BY FAR better than pictured in the photos that were posted by a TC member in the marketplace last evening....and it's true, the velvet painting is tricky to take photos of...my digital camera is a bit old, and the light was bright yesterday, which really reflects weirdly off the velvet, but doesn't pick-up the colors of the painting very well.

I'm going to try to take more images today, if anyone is interested.

...which is a perfect segue to my next comment.

Having sold many, many old oil & watercolor paintings, etchings, woodblocks, drawings, etc. over the years, let me just say that 80% of what I buy is fresh from old estates.
It is my personal experience that most collectors I've dealt with prefer some level of privacy in what they buy, and for how much.

When a painting is "fresh" to the market, I have found it advantageous to the seller (in this case, me) to keep it somewhat that way, often times by controlling who sees it, or images of it.

Hearing about something for sale is quite different than actually seeing it, much like a rumor compares to reality.

Even though we have advertised in essentially a public forum, I prefer to still maintain some level of privacy to serious buyers.

If the new owner wants to show it to the world (and the purchase details along with it) then that's up to the new owner.

FYI, the "other" post about this painting on another website / discussion board a TC member is referring to did NOT originate from us, but was done by a "friend" of ours, who had generally good intentions (and was also looking to make a few bucks for himself, hence the "price" of $2250.00 or whatever he quoted). The price will be determined by the person we intend to sell it to, and us.

There are those who might disagree with the way by which we are offering this, and I realize by posting to web board or blog I am opening myself up to opinion, remarks, etc.

That's fine, we understand that goes with the territory. A unique thing about blogs and discussion boards is that people can fire off or react in just about anyway they please, regardless of the guidelines or moderator, without any fear of retaliation (other than verbal)
or real accountability.

We are NOT the conduct police, and essentially we ignore and dismiss the rude, snide, crass, and nasty comments as a by-product of the individual as a whole.

All we ask is for those who ARE seriously interested in this Tyree painting to respect the terms by which we are offering it. Please do not share or show the email images to anyone else without asking us first. FYI I will want to know who they are.

If anyone wishes to make an offer or discuss price, please call us. I can also email you my cell phone number as well.

If someone disagrees or doesn't like the terms. That's fine, but this painting isn't for you.

If someone doesn't like what we write or our view, that's cool also. We prefer to deal with people whom we get along with.

If anyone is in the San Diego area and would like to see the painting in person, that can be easily arranged by calling us as well.

Lastly, I purchased this painting from the estate of the father of a Navy SEAL buddy of mine, the father himself was an original Navy SEAL "plankowner", one of the original UDT Frogs to transition into the (then) newly formed SEAL Team One in late 1961.

Notice the date on the back of the painting- his father acquired it the same year he became one of the first Navy SEALs.

I promised I'd find a good home for the Tyree, in honor of his dad.

So here we are.

In the Aloha Spirit,

William and Michelle
619-269-7245

[ Edited by: OGTiki1957 2009-02-23 12:34 ]

I think I understand...

It is free to post your painting for sale here on Tiki Central. No listing fees or final selling costs to deal with. No pain of downloading pictures.

Plus, you have a captive audience here, most of whom would love to own a Tyree. You don't start out with a selling price and then come back with a figure of $2,250.00 out of the blue. Plus, you share a little more of the story behind your acquisition and then throw in comments about how you essentially ignore and dismiss the rude, snide, crass, and nasty comments on this forum, all of which apparently have amounted to one by me because of my skepticism to you having only, at the time posted once on TC and now have racked up a total of three postings, all about this mysterious Tyree you are hocking.

So, just so there are no hard feelings, I wish you all the luck in the world selling your painting. I also hope that someone here is fortunate enough to purchase it from you that you make more off of it than you paid for it and we see you around here for other contributions to our tiki community.

Regards,

PTD

On 2009-02-23 15:12, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

" Plus, you have a captive audience here, most of whom would love to own a Tyree. You don't start out with a selling price and then come back with a figure of $2,250.00 out of the blue."

Aloha Tiki-land~!

Unfortunately it looks like I need to re-state and clarify the following below again as the previous poster is mis-infornming about the post and price of our Tyree painting on another website....here is what I ACTUALLY wrote, again:

"FYI, the "other" post about this painting on another website / discussion board a TC member is referring to DID NOT ORIGINATE FROM US, but was done by a "friend" of ours, who had generally good intentions (and was also looking to make a few bucks for himself, hence the "price" of $2250.00 or whatever HE QUOTED).
The price will be determined by the person we intend to sell it to, and us."

In the Aloha Spirit~

William

I have found 35 Ralph "Burke" Tyree paintings at the closing of am estate. They are all beyond perfect, the estate was the original Ronald McDonald and this clown knew his stuff! So please make your pathetic offers and allow me to chortle over the ridiculous amount that YOU think they are worth because, and I'm not bragging but I know what they are worth, see I wrote the book in 1997 called the "The Bible of Tiki"
I will not show them here, I have found that by displaying paintings here or anywhere for that matter is not the best way of performing my special magic. I will not post the prices or even descriptions as that would be a violation of my terms and by golly I will not violate my own terms even if you are rude or silly or smell. Come to think of it YOU are breaking my terms READING this so under penalty of my law, stop now. I will know if you email anyone or if your trash is not at the curb by 7:15 am.

[images removed at image owner's request]

Ah ha! I cried to Hanford and had him remove the images, I warn you, do not violate me again, I watched the Oscars and with much Aloha I will fake you out by saying this;
If you don't buy it...that's okay, it is so good, I'll eat it myself.

What a sad previous post...see what happens from inbreeding, folks?

Brain damage at it's worst....

Hopefully none of our soldiers, sailors, or Marines has to share a foxhole with him...

L

On 2009-02-24 23:54, OGTiki1957 wrote:
What a sad previous post...see what happens from inbreeding, folks?

Brain damage at it's worst....

Hopefully none of our soldiers, sailors, or Marines has to share a foxhole with him...

Just a hint.....insulting members of a forum who have been members for much longer than you may not really be the best move there. Since it looks like your only contribution to this forum is going to be posting and reposting on this thread trying to get someone on here to buy something you have to sell why don't you take your own advice and refrain from making rude remarks?

You may have done your research about what your velvet is worth but you sure haven't done your research as to who you are dealing with on these forums.

Pretty lame approach to selling you got there and I wish you tons of luck because it sure does seem as if you are going to need it!

Ohana spirit back atcha!

OGTiki1957,

As a hardcore tiki hunter and collector, I myself spend countless hours scouring flea markets, estate sales, antique, resale shops and craigslist to seek out items for my collection. In doing so, I have had the fortunate luck in finding an amazing amount of items along the way. I have shared hundreds of pictures of my finds on Tiki Central and the stories that have accompanied them. In some instances, the amount of time spent does not equal the amount of money I have spent.

That being said, I have also shared my good fortune in the way of trades or just plain giving stuff I have found away. Karma goes along way. Look up what Aloha means, because you, my friend, haven't got a clue.

In one of my days of looking I was extremely fortunate enough to find a Tyree. Not only was it a Tyree, but a Tyree from a former Sacramento tiki establishment; The Zombie Hut. I did not pay much for it. At the time, I had little knowledge about the artist, but I thought the painting would work well into what I was trying to do with my collection and I bought it. It was only good fortune that it ended up being what it was.

I guess what chides me about your postings and attitude is your lack of dedication or understanding. Out of the blue you post your ad on this forum and expect nothing less than everyone here to play by your rules. You demand respect before you have given yourself the chance to earn it. At the very least, you should have inquired about what goes on in "Tiki-Land" before joining and making your first post within two minutes. I don't think any posting I have seen here by a newbie, and believe me, I was a newbie, has bothered me as much as yours.

For those who were wondering and did not contact the buyer...here is what the painting looks like..

[removed]

Sorry Hanford, if you feel you need to remove this, I understand, but as a Grand Member, I think anyone posting anything for sale should be required to at the very least post a picture, especially if this is their first time.

In light of the chance I am taking here, I hope I am not pushing this too far because I enjoy participating here.

OGTiki1957,

Your comments about brain damage, inbreeding and foxholes are duly noted. Again, nothing but good wishes on the outcome of your sale and may the Aloha spirit you attest to make you nothing but big $$$!

PTD

P.S.

Just so you don't feel this is one-sided, I am posting a picture of my Tyree. Hanford, you don't need to remove mine...

Regards,

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-02-25 18:04 ]
[ Edited by hanford_lemoore - images removed at image owner's request - 2009-02-25 18:05 ]

Wow, that was quick!

Sorry Hanford, if you feel you need to remove this, I understand, but as a Grand Member, I think anyone posting anything for sale should be required to at the very least post a picture, especially if this is their first time.

But that is NOT a rule. You may feel like it should be, but it's not.

So taking the guy's image and posting it here, after I've removed it once already and after the owner asked us not to post it is just not cool. You're doing it out of spite. If someone doesn't want a picture of their item, then let it go. It's only going to hurt their chances of selling it.

If this guy were selling it for 100 bucks you'd be all over it and trying to hide it from everyone else -- and I'm referring a lot of users on TC, not specifically Psycho. So I think some of the behavior here has been two-faced.

I've said this before: New users are allowed to come to Tiki Central and post items for sale. If you think it's overpriced, say so. If you think something shady is going on, say so -- this benefits everyone, especially newbies who don't know the values of things. You don't have to resort to being a dick. Especially when I have to get dragged into it.

The longer you're here, the more I expect you to follow the rules and help things run smoothly.

[ Edited by hanford_lemoore 2009-02-25 18:17 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies