Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

calling miles thompson

Pages: 1 30 replies

HI All,

I recently went to Miles Thompson's website (www.koo-che-koo.com) and it is no longer existent. Does anyone have news on what's going on? Is he updating it?

The Monitors

[ Edited by: The Monitors 2012-07-13 00:40 ]

I think Miles is into such a different phase with his art at this point, he might have felt that the site was misrepresenting his current artistic style.
To me, it was my favorite Thompson period, and with his genius sound loops, my favorite website. :D

TS

I really wanted something simliar to the Tiki-Ti print he did for Mike...His site and blog have been gone for a while...I know, I've checked often, actually hoping he was just lagging!(haha). Sadness for me, but best wishes to him and his endeavors. He is an incredibly talented artist.

A

I think his website was www.kooch-e-koo.com/, but anyway that's not available either. And I miss it too!

I heard he had some turmoil a year or two ago - hope things are going ok for him these days.

-Randy

That is the one we are talking about and mourning. It was always such shot in the arm to view it.

Miles is alive and kicking and doing great, otherwise!

H

To echo Sven's update -- Miles' existence is chock full o' awesome, per usual. He has a solo show coming up at La Luz in Los Angeles in July. He was always changing his site up every few months or so anyway; I've no doubt he'll pop up again full force in one form or another.

Swim on, Miles, you lil' slippery fish!

When all else fails, Google. I typed in Miles Thompson, and the second search result was this.

http://koochekoo.blogspot.com/

S

Miles, is alive and kicking as evidenced by an e-mail from him 3 hours ago. Though his website is down now, He has two active blogs.

As usual he is busy with numerous endeavors, and as Humu mentioned above, he has an upcoming art show at LaLuzdeJesus this summer. If possible I suggest you attend, because wether it contains a tiki or not his art is incredible, and as many have stated in the above posts, he is a great guy.

-S

On 2009-03-06 09:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think Miles is into such a different phase with his art at this point, he might have felt that the site was misrepresenting his current artistic style.
To me, it was my favorite Thompson period, and with his genius sound loops, my favorite website. :D

I agree with you Sven, his site was definitely fun to get lost in. I do notice that his art is going to a different direction --judging from his last show at La Luz. There seems to be a more serious and darker side to it. I'm not complaining, just noticing, and I'm still a big fan.

I'm really exited to see what he comes up with next on his Summer show at La Luz.

K

hey - i am alive - kicking and rekicking ... while i am flattered that this post is up and excited that i have a show coming soon (and several late commissions) - i have to lovingly report that i will have lots of small paintings to share. styles aside i am happy to be in a creative waveform pattern again. painting daily is real bliss, i am alive!

i'm freelancing in animation
i am writing a movie based on oceanic culture and some of the art for that would no doubt spike your interest if pagan gods are your deal like they're mine
i'm exploring themes for graphic novels and am researching period locations which is influencing my paintings a lot
i'm developing children's programming for TV and multimedia
i'm developing cross over programming for adult animation
i'm writing a children's book(or two)
i'm helping my X wife and best friend through breast cancer - chemo is done and now it's the double double chop suey on her chest and egg factories ... followed by radiation ... then she can be alive and start kicking again too

i'm using gouache oil pencil and multimedia to follow my creative bloodlines to their roots for the california follow up show... it was to be for some time a show about muses... a mystic love song to one woman that i photographed profusely who i dreamed would wear a stunning 20s beaded flapper gown depicting a butterfly or dragonfly to my opening. but then ... then i found the mask of tragedy in the muse history and that seemed to me to be tiki's relative and it overshadowed my potential muse's cosmic visage...death or darkness or rain or the devil or whatever you want to call it... NOIR! the show must truck on for us all in turn in life. we are all invariably arrested by in a moment of least expectation - definitively finalizing the characteristic of a time. these themes are so so so common in the history of the entitled - HOLLYWOOD CA!

chances are i'm not going to repost k-e-k for some time...if at all. i'm on facebook, fuck myspace...glad you all liked my site and my stuff and i promise more is on the way that you'll find fun

see you again on july 7th i hope
aloha amigos
Miles

P

so...so...no more... sniff... fez monkeys?

K

oh i don't know about that...maaaaaaaybe?

Hi Miles,

So glad to hear from you and a allowing us a "mental" peep into your next show. Judging from your description of "Muses" it seems that each painting tells a story about a common character or set of characters. Something similar to your M Modern show, "Tell Tale Tiki" maybe?

I know there's plenty of things going on in your personal life right now, but is there any chance you might release a book of your paintings and prints?

Your fan,

K

the book question has been posed previously and it has been a dream of mine to publish something for a great many years. i only recently realized that to really make it worth the while there has to be a really significant reason to go to print, that being a great story - CHARACTER. Tell Tale Tiki will never see the light of day though i do think that there was a great story there - it's about living with lost love as a haunting monster curse... the end... Pasadena Rosa is however a story i am still very interested in making into a book and am maintaining research on. it's a narrative about CA's history i wanted to weave into a series of multimedia images for graphic novel. as for an ART OF book ... i imagine later in life you'll have something on your coffee table if we aren't all swept away by the tide's rising or burned to a crisp by the godlike sun we share. i don't want to publish a flimsy catalog or pamphlet - ever

this show probably isn't going to be called Muses - that theme i imagine being more about musicians - lots of biographic portraits... another show i was going to do up in SF and may when i get time. i am a huge music nut and there is plenty of inspirado there. the inspiration for THIS show however has become local flavor of the week

shirley temple
the little rascals
chaplin
keaton
fatty
virginia wrappe

what'd i say?

some repeat offender portraits interest me too

another :

henry miller
walt disney
john muir
marilyn

the change of style or subject matter is the excuse to do the research and that is the motivation to paint - the escape route to my personal salvation! isn't that what Kon Tiki set to sea to find? peace in paradise? haven't we all been looking to eek out our own personal slice of that since slime crawled from mother ocean?

thanks everyone for your thoughts and continued interest - i'll post an image soon

K

P

Oh yeahhhhhh, that's the stuff.

I owe you a chi-chi now.

S

M-

that monkey is looking how I am feeling, working like a dog, on a 36 hr shift now, Once I get home and mix a mai tai, I will be in the same pose, without the red hairless ass...

Hang in there man, and we will be at La Luz as usual

-S

K

S
been batching mai tai's here too.
lime
mint
some wow
add miles
some other things and DUUUDE WOW!

those hours qualify you as man's best friend. helping others to live well is a noble and solemnly virtuous endeavor that has you racked stretcher style mister but i don't think you'd have it any other way... MUCH??? sounds like you need more than sleep man - you need ... well i know what you need and i know that YOU know what you need too... island time.... i'm sorry. thanks for trying to pull some wood out of a hand that wasn't there in your house at 10PM.

i'll see you sooner than july i hope man but not for injury or advice! Steph comes home from the hospital today! EUREKA

aloha
M

K

K

H

LOVE the muted red-pink-gray-blue color palette on these. Even when someone takes away almost all of your crayons, you've got a kick-ass sense of color!

K

red is the word of god - a second pass... it's a print press miracle that made us all taste the blood of god...red and black are biblical but also media specific to the media globally ... betty boop and so on - limited palette is born of necessity ...but i humbly thank you and hope that your evening is a spicy one ... THANK YOU!!!

On 2009-04-17 12:05, kooche wrote:

Such lively liveliness going on in your work. Great to stare at...I feel sorry for the chihuahua though. Poor fella is going to lose his chapeau.

P

OK... dos chi-chi's.

Love them monkeys.
It's like the cocktail lounge at the zoo in nirvana.

K

Oh this is my favorite so far. You have a beautiful tattooed girl with a tiki necklace, erupting volcano, 3 messages in a bottle ad a drowning man.

Who wrote the message in the bottle? Was it the man? Is she drowning him or rescuing him? Another interpretation is she somewhat briefly immersing him under the water, hence the 3...2...1...(kindda like baptism)?

So many questions, with all different interpretations. That's why I love it.

S

M-

love the last one, but I am sure you already knew that as you posted it.

Just rocked the baby to sleep for a nap, while staring at 6 of your island images prints hanging in his nursery. His older brother is still waiting for his OG....

Spend some time with S and A, and than paint some more.

s

K

M
mp posted on Mon, Apr 20, 2009 1:30 AM

Miles, Im new here to TC and I just wanted to say I really enjoy your art.
I saw your pieces at Tiki Ti and have checked out everything on your website and I must say
I am blown away. Its obvious that you are a great artist but I really enjoy the
well balanced design and composition in you pieces. I hope that makes sense. You rock! MP

you can't go wrong with Clowns, Miles!
Great new goodies here lately!
Always a joy seeing your artwork!

K

thanks for all of the kind words and support my friends - i appreciate hearing these things!
-Miles

Pages: 1 30 replies