Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Question on mixing rum for a Fantasy Island

Pages: 1 4 replies

L

(I have searched the forums for this topic but I came up with nothing so I am hoping I am not reposting)

So in the Shag Tiki Drink Deck I want to make up a batch of "Fantasy Islands"

The recipe calls for:

1 1/2 oz Jamaican Rum
1 oz dark rum
1/2 oz light rum

2 oz cream of coconut
1 oz pineapple juice

pinch of nutmeg

My question is I would like some opinions on what types/brands of rum I should use for the Jamaican, Dark & Light. I want to buy just 1 bottle of each so I was hoping the mixologists out there could give me some insight as to what they think would be the best combination. Realize I am not a big expert on rum since I usually drink Mai Tais or Zombies so if the recipe for a Fantasy Island is the same as something more commonly named I would also like to know.

I appreciate any input you all could give :)

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-03-06 23:26 ]

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-03-07 09:05 ]

Leleliz,
Welcome to the world of rum! Smell the spices, the sweet sugar cane and the breeze through the palm trees...

A most useful combination of Jamacian rums would be Appleton Estates V/X Rum and Myers's Dark Rum. I like these very much, they don't overpower the drink and the prices for them are reasonable, (which I also like).

Who's next?

UT

I too like the Appleton V/X but for the dark I go for Coruba. In my humble opinion it beats out Myers's. Have fun and enjoy.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-03-07 04:37 ]

First, congratulations on your first steps down the path to Rum Mixology. There is no turning back now, and we still haven't figured out just how deep the rabbit hole really is.

Then, your claim to stick with Mai-Tai's and Zombies means you should already have a good idea about what rums can do to a drink, especially when you get a bad pair of rums together. You probably know more about rums than you realize.

And then, to your question specifically.....

You can't go wrong with the Appleton's for your Jamaican. Get the oldest bottle you can afford, I recommend Estate V/X.

As for the dark, I would shy away from the Spiced rums like Capt Morgan, Myers, or Sailor Jerry. I say that for two reasons, the drink seems to be headed for something sweet, and second because I don't much like the commercial spiced rums. You have an idea of what you like so I will leave the Spiced Rum decision to you and your gullet.

I find that most of the Demerera rums play well with the Jamaican, so you could use Lemon Hart or El Dorado for your dark. Coruba would be good, but I think you might enjoy a Cruzan Dark a little more.

Remember, your mileage may vary. And please report back your findings on this quest.

L

Thank you for your suggestions !

I will be making a trip to purchase the rums this week (I like to plan ahead) and at least now I have some ideas as to what to look for.

I will let you all know how it comes out and of course anyone else's input is more than welcome.

It doesn't seem like there are any posts on here regarding the Shag Tiki Drink Deck. I am just wondering if anyone else has tried the beverages in it. Seems like there is a good mix of flavors throughout the drink ideas.

Perhaps I will start taste testing slowly but surely!

Pages: 1 4 replies