Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Disneyland Collectibles and Collections other than Tiki

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

I searched a few different ways to see if any similar topic existed, but Didn't see anything. Who collects other Disney Collectibles besides Enchanted Tiki Room merchandise? Aside from my ETR collection, I have quite a few Pirates of the Caribbean pieces, most of which came from the POTC Anniversary event back in 2000
(All pre-Depp/pre-Movies).

Above:
Issues of;
Backstage Disneyland- Spring '66 issue
The E-Ticket- issues 32/fall 1999 and 45/Summer 2007
Theme Park Adventure- POTC special edition over 170 pages

Above:
LE 1967 Pirates Of the Caribbean Pin in chest shaped box
Sheet music of the Yo-Ho song
Special Event map in frame
LE Pin with Pirates Pledge
Attendee Gift Book shaped box with Sam McKim artwork holding event key
LE CD with music tracks, sound effects and booklet signed by Sam McKim
Event Postcard
Attendee Gift Virtual Ride through of the Attraction

Above:
Close up of Limited Edition Pin and Sam McKim art on box with key.

Above:
Close up of Attendee gift: Skeleton Key in Book shaped box+ admission ticket.

Above:
Sheet Music opened

Not from the event, but still non-tiki room collectibles:

Above:
2 souveneir pictorial books one from late 50's and other from mid 60's

Above:
LE of 500 Watch box with Marc Davis artwork and signature

View of the watch and signature of the late and great, Marc Davis

I have much more stuff to post, and am currently getting around to photograph my stuff...Until then, who else has Disneyland collectibles other than Tiki Room?

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-01-09 01:52 ]

Tom,
my mom has those 2 books.
she moved to So. Cal. in 1959 from Minnesota.
went there at age 9 and got the 1st book.
went there for Grad nite etc.....

man I would have loved to have gone to D land in the heyday.
well I was there in the early 70's but I was only 2 or 3.
and don't remember much.

we do have a cool night photo of the Skull rock all lit up.
pretty dad ass looking.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TS

On 2009-03-10 13:09, bigtikidude wrote:
Tom,
my mom has those 2 books.
she moved to So. Cal. in 1959 from Minnesota.
went there at age 9 and got the 1st book.
went there for Grad nite etc.....

man I would have loved to have gone to D land in the heyday.
well I was there in the early 70's but I was only 2 or 3.
and don't remember much.

we do have a cool night photo of the Skull rock all lit up.
pretty dad ass looking.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Cool deal on the picture books!...Brotha, you aren't the only one wishing to return to the "heyday" of Disneyland! Seeing Louis Jordan play at the Plaza Pavillion or Louis Armstrong playing in New Orleans Square would have been an incredible experience, as well as seeing the Tahitian Terrace show!
Skull Rock was an amazing "ambient" piece of eye candy! The starkist tuna boats and sandwiches were not bad, either! Just had to carry gum on hand! If you get a chance, scan in the photo, and up it! I'd like to see it!
I'll be uploading more of my collection in the next couple of weeks. I have other "vintage/classic" items waiting for pics, as well as some not-so-current limited and/or rare stuff...

Tom, also some of the surf bands also played at the Tomorrowland Terrace back in the early 60's
I would S**T myself to get video of that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 2:05 AM

On 2009-03-10 19:02, bigtikidude wrote:
Tom, also some of the surf bands also played at the Tomorrowland Terrace back in the early 60's

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey Jeff, I used to see the Ventures play Friday nights in the summer at the Carnation Cafe stage in the early eighties. We would get hammered on martinis at the Dizzyland hotel bar and take the monorail over and dance the nite away...

TM
TM

On 2009-03-11 02:05, KuKu wrote:

On 2009-03-10 19:02, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey Jeff, I used to see the Ventures play Friday nights in the summer at the Carnation Cafe stage in the early eighties. We would get hammered on martinis at the Dizzyland hotel bar and take the monorail over and dance the nite away...

Wow!! that would have been great,
I was probably there a few times too, as I had many Year passes in Jr. High and High school, but I would have never noticed, as I was going on all the rides.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TS

Here is another POTC item I own...It is a replica of the Pirates Attraction poster that you see passing through the Tunnel entry at the front of the park. This was also picked up during the POTC event back in 2000. The thing is so big, I haven't been able to save enough cash to get it framed, let alone figure out where to hang it!

I'm also going to put myself on blast...hahaha...I have 2 collectible "Action Figures"...:::dolls:::...lmao, yea yea, so what!?...It's not like I play or played with them...See them tomorrow... the best "Action Figures" ever....
haha, and that should close my pirate-themed collectibles.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-03-11 20:54 ]

The Euro D-Land version's very nice too --

Mine had a Disneyland price tag on the bottom.
I assume it came from the Pirates ride or possible sold in Captain Hook's restaurant.
Just speculating though, I'm not 100% sure where in the park it was sold.

That is a cool looking mug, John!...Another possible sales location, was the original "Pieces O' Eight" souveneir shop at the exit of the POTC ride. It used to have a mini arcade with a couple pirate shooting games, fortune red fortune teller, and the personalized pirate coin machine, that you could put up to 16 or so characters/numbers on a piece of eight. The coins were very similar to the coins that used to be glued to the rocks, inside the ride at the treasure area.

Here as promised, my "action Figs"...hah

The Hook Doll is a Limited Edition Masters of Malice, with deluxe clothing, and is extremely detailed. The "Captain of the Wicked Wench" doll is my all time favorite character from the ride, who has since been replaced by Barbossa in the POTC attraction. To me, the original Captain, aka Blackbeard, had much more character, and his one liners were badazz! I do miss that part of the ride immensely, and wish there was better photos, posters, or any other collectible of Blackbeard aboard the Wicked Wench for collectors. They do have a WDDC figurine, but it just doesn't capture his look...

Now onto my other Disney items. I'll start with a vintage cardboard cut-out record set (78's) called "Your Trip To Disneyland", manufactured by Mattel in 1954-1955ish...Considered a Musical Map, as the records take you through each of the lands. When unfolded, it spans 41 inches long, and over 14 inches in height. The five records are "Intro to Disneyland","Tomorrowland","Fantasyland","Frontierland", and "Adventureland"...It also has cut out characters similar to paper dolls. each record plays a few minutes long(i have mp3s of it).

I'll have a few more things soon...

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-03-12 22:46 ]

Oh, I love that record set, it's beautiful! I really drool over all that old-skool Disneyland stuff. I remember the old Pieces of Eight store with the wooden shooting games...great stuff.

Man...If you remember Pieces O' eight, do you remember the Country Bear arcade with the Haunted Mansion shooting game??? It was all black lit, and fluorescent paint, with the wooden rifle...All mechanical too! I used to play the hell outta those games! Even had the mechanical bear who climed the tree, and you had to shoot him off before he reached the top! haha I wish I had pictures of those!

L

In Disneyworld they have that same shooting game. It was my favorite way to waste my parent's money :)

Just found these...Not trying to derail the thread, but this is good stuff! Just wish I could find pics of the Teddy Barra's Swingin Arcade, and some interior shots!

(the pic below was in the Bear Country Arcade)

See the pirates arcade info @
http://sorcerersworkshop.org/piratesarcade.shtml

C

I have been collecting Cheshire Cat stuff for about 25 years. This is a small part of my collection which I displayed at the San Diego County Fair last summer. The big stuff had to stay at home.

I got a second place ribbon :)

Tom,
I believe those games are taken from the swingin beara arcade.
if not,
where else in the park would they be?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TS

On 2009-03-14 20:38, bigtikidude wrote:
Tom,
I believe those games are taken from the swingin beara arcade.
if not,
where else in the park would they be?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff, the two pirate shooter games were located in the pirates arcade, which was a section inside the Pieces of eight store, if I'm not mistaken...Check out this link...
http://sorcerersworkshop.org/piratesarcade.shtml
It has some good information on the arcade that once resided in New Orleans Square....

catmomma....Nice collection there!,Congrats on the 2nd place winning...I'll bet you wouldn't mind getting your hands on "the mirror" inside Disneyland park! Located inside the "Mad Hatter" shop, there is a mirror behind the cash registers that every 30 seconds-1min or so, show the Cheshire cat, and then disapears again...

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-03-14 22:06 ]

Tom,
I'm not saying your wrong,
but I have been going to Disneyland since I was 3 years old,
and I don't remember there being and games in the Pieces of 8 store.
I do remember the Pirate with the paper though.
fortune teller?
wonder if the pics could be from the Florida D-land?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TS

Nope, it was definately inside Disneyland...Here is another link confirming the existence...
http://www.yesterland.com/piratesarcade.html

I finally got around to taking more pictures of my Disneyana...
Here are some more of my books, mainly coffee table books with lots of pictures.
Reading books are fine, but like the old adage says..."A picture is worth a thousand words"!

From Left to Right:
Walt Disney's Disneyland ca. 1965
Walt Disney World ca. 1979
A Pictorial Souvenier of Walt Disney's Disneyland ca. Mid-1980's
Disneyland: The first 30 years ca. 1985
Disneyland: The First Quarter Century ca. 1980
The Magic of Disneyland and Walt Disney World ca. 1979

The Walt Disney World book on top row as well as the pictorial souvenier next to it(right) were mine from childhood. The white book from 1965, and both The First 30 years, and First Quarter Century books were obtained on ebay. And finally, a BIG Thank You goes to TC'er leleliz, who found and sent me "The Magic of Disneyland and Walt Disney World" by Valerie Childs. Totally cool, and Mahalos for the thought! She also included a kick ass postcard of Skull Rock, Disneyland.

A few more things coming soon from my collection including a "Good Luck from Disneyland Horseshoe", and a few more items.

I remember the Pirate Shoot well.
So did my dimes I spent on it that I wanted to save for the candy stand, as you walk just outside.

I just found a copy of "A Pictorial Souvenier of Walt Disney's Disneyland ca. Mid-1980's" in my wifes parent's cellar. A day fondly remember by my wife as the day she met Minnie Mouse and by her Communist parents as the day they were dragged into the very heart of American Cultural Imperialism.

TS

Might as well add it here, too!

T

Indeed there was once a Pirates Arcade - with amazing Pirate themed, retrofitted arcade games designed by Sam McKim, and partially assembled by the WED model shop. Sam's son Matt, very nicely let me come over and take some pictures of a few of the machines his dad saved from the trash heap after they shut down the arcade, and turned it into the Pieces Of Eight retail location. Fortune Red was the only machine that survived the transition...

Here are some pics:

You should see some of the wacky concepts for other games he came up with as well! Shooting rats deserting a sinking ship, a Mermaid prize grab, attacking crabs, hanging your own Pirate from the rafters - amazing stuff! He's one of my favorite artists, and a big influence on the Pirate's Lair map I did a few years back...

• Chris M
TS

Chris, those are incredible shots! I remember playing the Capn Black game. Most of these games were Black light backlit, and everything inside that you shot was painted in dayglow or flourescent paints. Do most of those games still have the backglass, or did someone snatch them off of the games before Sam could rescue them? I am very glad to know they did not wind up getting trashed, but I would have guessed they were burried somewhere backstage, or relocated to Burbank in some archival storage. I wonder who would have obsoleted the games into trash in the first place!?

Also, I've always wondered about the mechanics of these games. Do you know how exactly the shooting games worked? Were they light controlled hits, or by physical hits from steel bearings that shot from inside the case?(the gun mainly used for visual effect, but also steered and aimed the hidden steel bearing shooter below, and sunk just out of the eyes view)? I cant remember either way....lol

Just to name a few...McKim, Davis, Crump, Atencio, Mueller, and Coats, are my favorite Disneyland Imagineers, and have my full fledged respect(s).

Thanks for sharing your images, as they brought back some mighty strong memories, and I can almost imagine a smell of nostalgia in that garage, where the games are now retired! Kinda like the unique smell of POTC itself! :D
I also hope that one day, the games will all be restored to their former glory....I think the games deserve it, as they kept hundreds of thousands of kids occupied and entertained! Now I just wonder the fate of the Personalized Dubloon imprinter/stamp maker?

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-06-15 21:26 ]

T

The games came with about 1/2 the backglass... The others were long gone, unfortunately...

I have a little Quicktime movie I took of the animation - but can't figure out how to upload it here!

TS

ahh...If maybe you have a youtube account, upload it there and post link here...I'm not sure if movies can be played here

H

Hey Tang! Yeah, love to see whatever clips you have.
You're now in Singapore?
[new topic] Whatcha doin' there? [/new topic]

You're now in Singapore?
[new topic] Whatcha doin' there? [/new topic]

After doing the Sleeping Beauty Castle job at Disneyland, I left Disney to take a position as an Art Director on the new Universal Studios Singapore park. I'll be out here for the next year or so...

TM

Tangaroa, you are one of my favorite posters here!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 8:49 AM

Chris - Greg here..

Hey! What's up? Haven't heard from you in a while. How's the POP project coming along?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 11:05 AM

Hasn't anybody heard of PM's or emails? Buncha Chatty Kathys.

Judging by the title of the thread, GROG thought this was about posting pics of Disneyland collectibles and collections other than Enchanted Tiki Room stuff.

GROG have Disney crap, but it art and animation stuff, not Disneyland crap.

TS

Bid on these on ebay, not thinking I was going to win them. Salt and Pepper shakers featuring the mark Twain and Sailing ship Columbia. Had original stoppers entact and original price tag, in box with cover. $9.99 flawless.

Picked up the parking lot sign about 8 years ago at a Disney auction and the wet paint sign from Phil the obsessed (in a good way) Disney guy.
I have a few drawers full of Disney goodies collected over the years. I was lucky enough to visit D-Land 1957 (I was 7) and we went every year till about '71. My parents liked it as much as us kids. Try to get there at least once every year. I have never been to Disney World in Florida, hope to get there one day. Original Disneyland snob.

TS

Hah...nice score, DrGoat! If you ever get the chance, show some of the other stuff you've acquired over the years! I'm not as much as a snob vs. a purist! :lol:

TomS,
I guess I used the wrong word, I try not to be a snob in anything. Purist sounds good. I have so many good memories of Disneyland Anaheim, with my parents who both passed away about 6 yrs. ago. It's that warm, genuine feeling you get with only a few things in your life. I've been accused of being too sentimental, but I suppose that's why I find this site and what it is all about, and that some people here have expressed so much better than I can, so important.
I will get into my stuff as soon as the dust settles, (we just moved across town), and post some pics.

Dug out some more stuff. The first is a large heavy, cast resin (or some material) model of the Tomorrowland Rocket, one of my favorite finds. Got it in D-Land about 2000. Haven't seen very many. If you know any more info on it, let me know.
The other is a 1962, I think, collection of Disney stamps. The package is a picture, the stamps are in a plastic thingy inside the item. Haven't opened it.
The other thing is kinda Disney, in that it's the Disney version of the Mad Hatter. It's a page of blotter acid perforated squares. Each square is about 1/8th inch. Got it back in the '90's. Being a teenager in the '60s, I had more than my share of 'items' like this, but never saw a whole sheet. My friends and I were more into going low and not high back then.
Ciao

I wonder if that would be a good trip to the moon, or a bad trip! haaha...that is pretty unique, I must say... I saw these sheets at raves in the early 90s, but the tabs were always apart and ready for sales...Better not handle that without gloves. :lol:

TS,
Yeah, I thought this was unique until I found a website 'blotter acid art' that sells these things, some at very 'high' prices, being signed like people like Tim Leary etc. There were some of these around in the '60s, but most of the stuff going around back then was still on sugar cubes.
Digging out some more stuff tonight.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jul 23, 2009 9:47 AM

My God! D-Land & blotter 'cid ..whatta topic for a new thread!

TikiG,
Tried D-Land in '71 on acid. Didn't work out too good. We went home after a couple of hours...did a Quaalude or 2 with a beer chaser to come down. Never did any more after that. It was the end of my pyschedelic days. Disneyland was much better without it. No kidding.
Sorry, got offtrack here, I'll stick to the post from now on.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-07-24 07:37 ]

Found this on utube, Building Walt's Dream, a series of 5 or so timelapse and other archival footage of building Disneyland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NooXnWm5U&feature=related

MN

And when it was O.K. to advertise the competition.

They have catered to dogs for fifty years!

D

Gotta love this.

TS

I remember the threat of removing Toads wild ride...That is my favorite Disney dark ride by far. So much so, that I make it a point to ride at least every other visit since we have Annual PPs.!

L

It was a shame when Mr. Toad was removed from DisneyWorld and replaced by...Winnie the Pooh :(

Especially sucked when you are on the Pooh ride and it breaks down..and you are stuck listening to Pooh say over and over and over again "It's going to be a blustery day"
..after about the 20th repeat I really wanted to get out of my little boat/car and kick the crap outta his voicebox

smiles innocently

Pages: 1 2 67 replies