Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sand Paper Grit for Rattan

Pages: 1 8 replies

Ww have been picking up several rattan pieces and wanted to get them into a uniform color along with protecting them. I was going to use a ice shade if Minwax, but didn't know what grit sand paper to use to strip off the old vannish. Didn't want to damage it....Any suggstions?

L

These are the directions I have used when I have restored my vintage rattan pieces. I am sure if you use google and search the web you could find out additional information as needed!

1. Clean all pieces with compressed air to remove the loose dust
  2. Scrub the pieces with soapy water (dishwashing detergent is fine)
  3. Use a 100 grit sanding sponge to remove any flakes
  4. Rine, dry and use a tack cloth to remove dust
  5. To refinish use an oil based tinted polyurethane such as Minwax Polyshade. Cut the coating four to one with laquer thinner
  6. Paint with a foam brush to get even coverage and no streaks
  7. Wipe down with lemon oil occasionally to maintain finish

I have used this method and the 100 grit paper really does a great job evening out the rattan.

Hope this helps!

Leleliz, thanks so much for posting those step-by-step directions, it's exactly what I was hoping to find, and it's a big help!

L

You are welcome lady :)

You must be sprucing up those rattan pieces you just posted.

Be sure to post pics!

B

I'd suggest a fine steel wool rather than the sandpaper. It comes in a wide range of grades & conforms easily to curved shapes.
Another good choice would be the green scrubbies you use on dishes; one brand is called scotchbrite. They aren't too aggressive on the rattan, and you can rinse out the varnish, etc, when they get a little clogged as they, steel wool, and sandpaper all will do.

BodhiBoy, are we going to see any new glass soon?

Just wanted to add - after staining, a coat or two of Helmsman urethane adds a beautiful, glossy protective finish. I can't recommend it enough.

I think Liz's instructions are xlnt.The only thing I would do different is not use
a sponge brush.Why you ask ?They tend to create bubbles in the varnish and does not
flow as smooth as a fine brush.Find a good brush at the hardware store 2" wide that
is suitable for staining not painting.Both Loews and Home Depot have a decent
selection of brushes .It will say on the package what the brush is suitable for .
Use lacquer thinner to clean brush when you are done.This is my experience with
working with rattan for 14 years.

On 2009-11-24 06:11, Professor Pineapple wrote:
Just wanted to add - after staining, a coat or two of Helmsman urethane adds a beautiful, glossy protective finish. I can't recommend it enough.

Always willing to try new products though I am happy with the Zspar flagship varnish .
Where do find Helsman product professor, I am not too familiar with that brand.
Hopefully it's not an east coast thing.

Pages: 1 8 replies