Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Crawl 9 is San Francisco! July 9 - 12 Free! UPDATE: last chance for mugs! and Mahalos! Page 10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

Aloha everyone!

Tiki Crawl 9, the only official Tiki Central event, is gettin' ready to roll out July 9th - 12th in the San Francisco Bay Area. Save those dates!

As always the Crawl will be a tour of the best Tiki Bars in the Bay Area, both new and old, with a few surprises thrown in. We'll be launching a website soon but for now here's a bit of Q/A:

UPDATE:
http://www.tikicentral.com/misc/index.php

Bus tickets are going on sale Monday at 7pm on the Tiki Crawl website. Check there for details:
http://www.tikicentral.com/misc/bustickets.php

FAQ

Q: What is the Tiki Crawl?
A: It's the original annual Tiki event where we go from Tiki bar to Tiki bar all around the Bay area. Previous years have featured up to 14 tiki locations!

Q: When is it?
A: July 9th - 12th, 2009. Each day we go to 2 to 4 Tiki locations in the bay area.

Q: How much is it?
A: The crawl is FREE! We do provide bus transportation at roughly $40 a ticket (details to be announced soon); but admission to each bar is free and you're welcome to tag along us using car, cab, bike, or surfboard (okay, well, perhaps not surfboard).

Q: Is transportation provided?
A: For South Bay and East Bay legs of the crawl, we're planning bus transportation. San Francisco is special as it is actually cheaper to use cabs; but we're looking into solutions.

Q: Is there an official website?
One is coming soon with more details on schedule, where to stay, and other aspects of the celebration.

Mahalo,

Hanford & Mai Tai,

Organizers of Tiki Central's Tiki Crawl 2009

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2009-08-01 23:10 ]

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Mar 21, 2009 3:44 PM

I am sooooo on the bus...

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Mar 21, 2009 3:47 PM

On 2009-03-21 15:40, hanford_lemoore wrote:
you're welcome to tag along us using car, cab, bike, or surfboard (okay, well, perhaps not surfboard).

oh yeah, can I bring my board on board...?!?

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Mar 21, 2009 3:49 PM

On 2009-03-21 15:47, KuKu wrote:

On 2009-03-21 15:40, hanford_lemoore wrote:
you're welcome to tag along us using car, cab, bike, or surfboard (okay, well, perhaps not surfboard).

oh yeah, can I bring my board on board...?!?

or hey, a new sport, tow in tiki bar crawling... 8)

S

hmmm, those dates might be do-able.
oooh, I hope I hope I hope.
it was so wrong of me to miss last year.
so very wrong...
Pea

L

I am so not missing the crawl this time around...and I am so glad its not that far away.

Looking forward to it!

M

oh no :( I've got plans out of town that weekend. BUMMER! :(

Will try and make the first night tho.

TG

BUMMER that it's early this year :( :( spent 6 months trying to pick a camping weekend that was amenable to all and this is it!

Sounds fun! I will be there for the TONGA ROOM portion at the very least...

Guess we won't be able to make it this year. It's just to close to Tiki Kon and Tiki Oasis. Both of which we already have on the calendar. Too much money to do three full tiki events in 4 weeks.

WooHooo!! SoccerTiki and I can't wait :)

We are planning on this. Our first S.F. crawl! This is better time of year for Mrs.Fury to travel.

Shit! About time you two made one. :)

OK this year Milly and I are on the bus. Definately

C'mon.......how about an update. We need time to make arrangements.

Any word on the Bus tickets yet?

MT

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been under the weather. Hanford has been working hard on The Crawl website, with schedule, bus, and hotel information. It should be up in a few days, so keep your eyes peeled!

Does anyone know the name of the band that played at Trader Vic's last year at The Crawl? They had a Theremin.

J

On 2009-04-25 08:38, GoldenTiki wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the band that played at Trader Vic's last year at The Crawl? They had a Theremin.

The band is Project: Pimento

Aloha,

Sorry for the delay in all the Tiki Crawl info. We've got a sneak peak at the new website for TCers:

PLEASE: Be accurate on the Bus Tickets. This is our biggest expense and if we don't get the ticket numbers right, we can't pay for the bus and it comes out of our pockets. :(

HOTEL: While the hotel page is not up yet, we're 99% sure we're going to go with the Hawthorne Suites in Alameda on Lincoln; This puts people closer to Forbidden Island, which we've heard again and again people want more of.

Mahalo,

Hanford & Mai Tai

MT

So... we have looked at the number of tickets requested so far for the bus, and the ticket count is significantly lower than previous years. We are wondering if it might be a sign of the economy, or if people just haven't put in their request for tickets yet. Remember, you can take a peak at The Tiki Crawl website here:

And you can put in your request for bus tickets here:

As of right now tickets are not on sale, so you don't need to pay any money. But we do need you to request tickets on that form, so that we can determine how many people are interested, what size bus we will need for the various days, or if we won't even have a bus this year. I cannot stress enough that your feedback is important to us, and so is filling out the bus ticket survey form. Thanks, and see ya on The Crawl!

Still getting work schedule forecast.

Seriously guys; if we don't more signups, we're not going to have the bus.

can the bus come down to pick me up in So. Cal.?
if so how much would that be?
wish I could make this.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

If not a big bus how bout a small one?

aka a short bus.
:wink:
do all the riders have to wear helmets too?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

No biggy. I mean like a smaller, like commuter type bus.

L

On 2009-05-14 18:19, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Seriously guys; if we don't more signups, we're not going to have the bus.

Hanford how many people are needed for a full bus?
When do you have to reserve one?
How many people have expressed an interest?

This was something I was looking forward to because I missed last years crawl and I would really like to be able to do the bus this year.

Also besides the fact that this summer seems to have a great amount of tiki events all pretty close together and the economy is most likely affecting people a bit is there any other reasons why interest isnt as high?

As a frequent crawler, I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between riding in a TC bus, or driving. I know folks are thinking that due to the economy, they won't splurge on the bus. Seriously guys, as we all know, Tiki drinks are STRONG, from Trader Sams to FI to Vics - don't take chances like that because frankly, what none of us can really afford is a DUI!

Hi guys,

Mai Tai and I have reviewed the numbers, and it is looking goof a bus on Saturday. We're trying to swing one for Friday too. We'll keep you posted!

~Hanford

N
NOTCH posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 9:20 AM

Bump!

MT

Speaking of Nacho saying bump...

Oh, wait... did he say "bump"? I think he totally meant to say mug...

(that's a test glaze sneak peak, btw - you'll have to wait until I get back from Forbidden Island tonight to see more. stay tuned...)

C
CP posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 10:29 PM

looking good billy ray

Sweet. Can't wait.

R

Bummer. So far everyone we went with last year can't make it on the crawl this year because there are just too many people on vacation in July. :o(

Poop.

M

I beg pardon. The Lovely Miss Milly and I were both there last year. We are all ready to set sail again.:)

I was hoping for a bus Friday night.

L

Vic you can sit in the back of my car and I will chauffeur you around like Driving Miss Daisy :wink:

Good. We'll put up a glass barrier and I can slam a few monkeypods.

MT

On 2009-06-01 20:27, Jungle Trader wrote:
I was hoping for a bus Friday night.

Well, there is a good chance that there will be a bus on Friday - like Hanford mentioned in his last post, we are still trying to swing that. How large that Friday bus may be (or if it happens at all) is still being determined by the amount of people that are expressing interest in bus tickets. So please sign up and express your interest in bus tickets here:

Here's a couple of updates on info for The Tiki Crawl. We had a minor glitch in the bus ticket sign up form, which gave us an abnormally low number count for bus tickets requested. It looks like the bugs have been ironed out. So if Hanford contacted you about re-signing up for bus tickets on the ticket request form, please do so, because the bug was resetting certain peoples ticket requests to zero for all days.

We've been working hard on tying up loose ends, confirming venue dates and certain special events that are still in the works, as well as coordinating the production of the mug by Nacho (all made by hand by him, production slip molds and all, with a smidge of help thrown in by me). Has anyone paid any attention to all of the other artists on TC that keep saying that making a mug is long and tedious work? Well, they ain't lyin'!!! There is a lot of work in coordinating an event that has grown into the size that this event has, especially when there's basically just two people trying to wrangle it all together, plus another certain Hot Rod shop owner workin' like a maniac - on top of his real job - tryin' to get your mugs done in time! There has been much fretting and wringing of hands this year, but it's all about our love of tiki, and tiki bars, whether new or vintage, and you guys, so it's worth it. We think you will be pleased with the results.

That being said, we should have the schedule posted soon, hopefully by the end of this week. Also, stay tuned for more info about bus tickets, including which days we will have a bus, and the on sale date of the tickets.

Feel free to post any further questions you may have. And remember to support your local tiki bar! Cheers,
-Mai Tai and Hanford

MT

Here are some more pics of the mug. This is a test glaze, but it's pretty much going to look like this, with a creamy white inside - yum!!!

Price: TBD
Quantity: hopefully 100, if the Tiki Gods are smiling on us, un-numbered edition

Gettin' jiggy with some test glazes

An army of mugs is gathering in this cabinet!

P.S. If you saw some of the other things that Notch has in this cabinet, it would melt your dome! Seriously!!!

That is so cool. Better sign me up for a couple of those too. Looks like this is going to be a family affir this year. Now my son wants to come as well.....Don't worry he's of age. Can't wait for the crawl.

Update!

--Bus Tickets on sale Monday--
The Tiki Bus comes back for two nights: Friday and Saturday. It's the best way to experience the crawl. Tickets go on sale Monday at 7pm, and will sell out quick, so be prompt and have your PayPal password handy.

--Schedule Announced--
The schedule is announced and we have new stops! Tiki Tom's and a Crawl first: the first home-bar ever (well, auto-body-shop-bar). Check out the schedule here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/misc/schedule.php

Looking forward to it!

I'm so sad I am going to miss the crawl. I was really hoping for this to be my first this year. The mug looks great! Hope you all have a really fun time and hopefully I will be joining all of you next year!

Huh...I popped in to check out TC and find this...my brother is visiting me, and we're taking a roadtrip to SF this very weekend. Saturday we're going to see Slayer, but we might be able to swing by some of the other events.
Ran

L

I am all about getting on the bus for Saturday this year .

I love the mug as well...great job with the scuplting!

For those about to ROCK!

MT

On 2009-06-12 02:33, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Update!

--Bus Tickets on sale Monday--
The Tiki Bus comes back for two nights: Friday and Saturday. It's the best way to experience the crawl. Tickets go on sale Monday at 7pm, and will sell out quick, so be prompt and have your PayPal password handy.

Tickets go on sale tonight, at 7:00pm, peeps! As Martiki has warned in the past, act now lest you be haunted forever by terrible regret!
Looking forward to hangin' with everyone at this year's Crawl! :drink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies