Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New flea market finds!

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

Great weekend at the Flea Market! I found this postcard of the interior of Tiki Bob's. It probably looked great with dim lighting. Note the Tiki Bob S&P shakers on the tables and the menu on the corner table.

The back of the postcard:

A postcard sized Zombie Village cocktail menu!

A postcard of the International Marketplace in Waikiki, mailed in 1970:

I bought a commemorative issue of Paradise magazine printed in 1959, just after Hawaii became a state. This is the subscription card insert:

There were some nice ads in the magazine:

I also got this postcard of the Monsanto chemistry exhibit at Disneyland:

Which flea market did you visit?

--cyn

Great postcards, did you get a deal on them?

T

On 2003-03-31 18:41, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Great postcards, did you get a deal on them?

I got the lot, minus the Hawaii magazine, plus a paperback book by Bunny Yeager on photographing women (with plenty of nice pinup shots), plus a tie bar, all for $8. I got some records including one called "Exotic Percussion". I also bought about 20 old 8mm films in metal cans (mostly stag films) that I have yet to watch.

E

Stag night at thejab's!

Nice score, envy fills my heart like a great riptide.

:), em.

Oh well, jab, great finds, but you blew a cover:
As historically interesting as the Tiki Bob's is, it is a good example of what I purposely did not put into the BOT.
Considering the cool logo Tiki and the historical signficance of Tiki Bob's, in some way this interior is a let-down. By not showing it, I left room for everyone's imagination to flower and make it into some mysterious grotto. Sometimes less is more. That mini outrigger looks seriously low budget...

I see BigBro's point, but still, it looks cozy--maybe "understated" as opposed to "low-budget"? :)

I am still glad to see this, as some of us were wondering how big Tiki Bob's could've been inside--we thought surely more than just the small corner space was used. Obviously so.

Hmm, Dean, maybe now someone can rent the space and improve on the original! HEY, all you Tiki Folk out there--IT'S STILL FOR RENT!

I am actually more fascinated, though, by the Zombie Village artifacts. I would love to see the inside of that place. My mom went there in the 50's, but she can't remember it, argh.

C

I'm still in awe of the drink prices.
Let's see I got $20 to spend Hmmmm....

D

Jab-

Those are some amazing finds!! 8 bucks?? Shee-it. Nice going. I just bought a couple of vintage Mai-Kai postcards on Ebay and paid...um....more than that. Seems like you folks out on the West coast have more access to all that cool kitschy stuff since it's probably been floating around since back in the day. That stuff isn't so accessible here in Gotham from what I can see...at least at those prices. The only really kitschy thing you can get out here pretty often is stuff from the 64-65 World's Fair since it actually was here. That kinda stuff seems to be everywhere. Thanks for sharing dude. Now I have yet to find more stuff to senslessly spend my low budget on :drink:

I am very jealous, nice find

T

On 2003-03-31 22:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
Considering the cool logo Tiki and the historical signficance of Tiki Bob's, in some way this interior is a let-down. By not showing it, I left room for everyone's imagination to flower and make it into some mysterious grotto. Sometimes less is more.

I see your point. I was a bit disappointed on seeing the postcard for the first time. But if you can imagine it very dark with the only illumination from the glass floats, fish tank, and table lamps it was probably quite nice and cozy. And better than many small tiki restaurants/bars I've been in. I think it's a good example of what JT in the Tiki Bar Review Pages calls a Type II.5, along the lines of the Alibi or Bahooka. Sure, it's no tiki palace.

T

On 2003-03-31 21:26, emspace wrote:
Stag night at thejab's!

I watched a few of the films last night. One was a hula girl tease from the 30s or 40s - very nice! Another one had a 40s fan dance number with large feather fans. Those were the tame films!

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2003 1:17 PM

dats wun cherry find! I like it all except fo da black velvet dey get on da wall at tiki bobs. Its on da right side of da post card. Looks like a spanish wahine rather then a hula wahine

Pages: 1 12 replies