Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Kon 2009 : Tiki Speakeasy : Aug 7 - 9 : Tickets now on sale!!

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

M

That's a big yes to wifi at tony's!

I shouldn't read this thread. It makes me sad I won't be there. Can I buy a raffle ticket even though I won't be there? Or must I be present to win?

T

Oh, you'll be having so much fun at Oasis you won't miss us at all! Are you leaving on Friday?

I think we can make an exception for our "must be present to win" rule for you!

We leave Wednesday night. Just got to get through 3 more days of work! I know once I am on my trip I will be having a ton of fun and may forget what I am missing back home. :wink: I'm down for getting a raffle ticket! How much are they?

D

On 2009-07-31 06:39, Rum Balls wrote:
Looks like I will be solo on Saturday night at Tony Starlight's. Any one have an extra seat at their table? I'll buy the first round!

join us! we have space at our 8 top.

M

I'll be sending out email to everyone who has tickets, but I thought I'd put the info here too:

If you'd like to join in the attire-theming fun:

FRI: Please wear your finest "Safari" themed or "Jungle Adventure" Wear = pith helmets are a +!

SAT: For the Speakeasy Saturday Night, while vintage aloha wear is always a boon, 30's formal dress is specifically smiled apon. There will be prizes for the best dressed that night so dress to impress!

Thanks to MunkTiki, Smuggler's Cove, Rum Demon, Tiki Hana, Ocea Otica, and Mount Gay Rum for their generous donations.

RB

Thanks for the heads up on attire. All this time, I thought the theme was "STREAK-easy"... :o

On 2009-08-04 11:13, Rum Balls wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on attire. All this time, I thought the theme was "STREAK-easy"... :o

You would! :wink:

T

If I see any rum balls on Rum Balls, I'm having you thrown out. This is a CLASSY EVENT dammit.

Same goes for Tevas.

RB

Even patent leather Tevas? :lol:

[ Edited by: Rum Balls 2009-08-04 12:05 ]

K
KeithH posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 1:02 PM

Any chance we could get a list of vendors? I'd like to plan my cash.

I've already got my eye on a certain mug. :)

P

Extra table space for 2 at Shawn's and my table!

As for vintage attire - keep in mind the prohibition was about 1920 to 1933 so think Art Deco and Flappers! :)

I will be trying to put together some Flapper/Deco inspired hair clips for this event and vending my crazy tiki flower clips for anyone interested.

See you Saturday!

T

If anyone is feeling inspired, you can download "One Hour Flapper Dress" here! Keep in mind that you'll look like a sack a potatoes, because everyone does in those dresses.

Those flowers look great!

P
phynix posted on Wed, Aug 5, 2009 3:17 PM

I think Lippman Co at 50 SE Yamhill and Hollywood Vintage at 2800 NE Sandy both have flapper and gangster costumes.

"Sack o potatoes" heehee and this is different from a muumuu how?? :) Muumuu with fringe!!! Aw man! Why didn't I think about that a week ago!

P

we're in portland a day early for the tikiKon, and we have all of tomorrow till about 4 to knock around. we're from washington state, so the liquor nazis have prevented us from getting the best exotic ingredients for our bar. Any suggestions of good liquor stores to go to? ( we're staying in Lake oswego, but we'll drive a bit ).

Also, any good vintage stores that might have guys and gals hawaiiana style clothing, shoes, and accessories?

we're both on the large side and its especially hard for Lopaka to find any jackets or other things.

Appreciate any suggestions you might have and see you tomorrow!
Mahaloz!

T

Best liquor store in Pdx is Pearl Specialty @ 900 NW Lovejoy http://www.pearlspecialty.com/

Vintage my favs:
AlexSandra's, 6726 N Interstate Avenue
Hawthorne Vintage, 4722 SE Hawthorne Blvd
Avalon Vintage, 410 SW Oak St

RB

The OLCC store @ SE 11th & Hawthorne also has a good selection of rum: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=PORTLAND&state=OR&address=1040+SE+Hawthorne+Blvd.&country=us&zoom=8

Some other places that carry vintage:
Smut (more stuff than clothes, stands for So Many Unique Treasures)
Ray's Ragtime
Hollywood
Rock-n-Rose / Hattie's / Bombshell (all on the same block of E Burnside)

Here are some other places to visit if inclined:
For cocktails:
The Doug Fir
Dot's
Departure
The Florida Room
Portland City Grill
The Space Room
Rontom's
Gold Dust Meridian
Saucebox

Other
Voodoo Doughnuts
Velveterium

-Drew
http://www.facebook.com/drewgroove

[ Edited by: drewgroove 2009-08-07 07:37 ]

P

Thanks for all your suggestions as to where to go in Portland. we'll be doing the tour later today.

A question to all the wahines out there:
in my travels through Duvall washington, looking for clothes for the event, I found this little eye popper of a dress. Its too small for me, but I have to believe someone out there would like to have it. Id be happy to trade it for a drink - it wasn't very expensive. I don't know the actual size, but I suspect its somewhere between an 8 and a 10. Great like-new condition, and it looks like something "laugh-in era, goldie hawn would wear to a luau". Made by tahiti imports, international market place, waikiki. Pioneer Inn, lahaina maui.
Let me know if you want it or look at it, and I'll bring it.

RD

Er uh... don't mean to play the sap, but where do we meet tonight at 7?

not "in the know"
-Joe

K
KeithH posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 1:49 PM

Will there be real food or just bar food at tonight's secret location? Just trying to plan out dinner.

P

Well, Pearl Specialty is quite possibly the best liquor store in the northwest. Not having been to all of them , however, I can't be 100% sure, but tis sure better than anything near us in Kenmore.

P

Just a quick note to thank Craig, Heather, and all the other amaizingly wonderful folks that created and participated in the Portland tikikon!
I enjoyed the company of everyone there, and they made it easy for me to drop my "Drama Queen" colored glasses and have a really great time...
I'm happily exausted,a bit hung over, and still smiling!
Heartfelt Mahaloz to you all!

Hip, Hip Hooray for Heather and Craig! I had a great time as usual, although I am a bit disappointed I missed out on the naked women viewing.

M

Thanks to everyone who helped and attended NW Tiki Kon 2009: Tiki Speakeasy. You're the reason we keep having fabulous and successful events year after year.

Here's to Next Year!

Also: Expect news coming down the pike about TK 2009 swag available for order and shipping including some nifty surprises!

cmh

D

Craig, Heather & Noel ~ fantastic Tiki Kon Weekend!! Blair & Sara, Mark & Maggie ~ thanks for having us over to your amazing homes! Alibi Brunch was delicious gluttony!

all my pix at

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t85/etamburine/09%20tiki%20kon/

because im too lazy to upload here.

RB

Sorry it's taken me a week to surface after Tiki Kon...after Sunday's home bar tour, I spent all last week scraping/sanding/repairing/etc. my house for painting.

Thanks to everyone who put TK on - it was a blast! Safari bowling Friday, Thatch & Tony Starlite's on Saturday, brunch at Alibi and home bars on Sunday. "Aloha" and "Mahalo" to all the Tiki Kon-sorts I met and shared drinks & good times with! :drink:

T

Any news on the TK09 mug? maybe some teaser pics?

Pages: 1 2 75 replies