Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

SOLD OUT! 2009 Seattle Area Home Bar Tour, August 21st & 22nd

Pages: 1 44 replies

Aloha, Folks! This year's Seattle Area Home Bar Tour will be taking place on the weekend of August 21st & 22nd, a Friday and Saturday. Lots of ideas and possibilities are swirling round, being discussed and considered, but I have no details to yet release. However, for those of you who have attended any of the previous year's festivities, the scheduling and general outline of the event will be basically the same: Day One -- Luau & backyard BBQ with live & DJed entertainment, exotic cocktails, and giveaways; Day Two: a 6 hour Tour, starting out with cocktails, Indonesian appetisers, and live music at Island Life's Monkey Bar, followed by stops to 2 or 3 Seattle Area Home Bars. One of the stops (homes) is so impressive (and with a heated pool) that I may extend the stop time, bringing the stops (not including Island Life) to 2.

Ticket reservations are $50/person, payable via Paypal to [email protected]. These tickets are not refundable, so please make sure you will be able to attend before making reservations.

More to come!

Okole Maluna!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2009-08-18 23:41 ]

Of course we'll be there! It's the most fun you can have on a big yellow bus!

Update: Live music this year will be provided by 'Mai Tai Conspiracy' (last year's 'The Band From Uncle'). So expect some familiar surf, Exotica, and Spy themes, up, close, and personal! Mai Tai Conspiracy will also be playing an event in Seattle sometime in July or early August.

T.B.F.U. (Mai Tai Conspiracy), performing 'Quiet Village', last year at The Monkeyskull Voodoo Lounge (sound and audio captured from a video phone, so don't expect great clarity!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SraRqTFhyU

Things are warming up, in more ways than one! More to come soon.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2009-05-14 21:45 ]

Looks like Seattle ukulele band The Ukadelics will be performing on the second day of the Seattle Area Home Bar Tour! This is really going to be a fun weekend!

If you haven't seen this Japanese TV segment on the Ukadelics (and it is quite hilarious) here it is:

http://seattletwist.com/2009/04/04/ukadelic-documentary-from-japanese-tv/

It's up to you to take the documentary as seriously as you wish. (I've noticed that people in Southern California take everything seriously except Tiki.)

Jokes aside, I will say one thing: Seattle's Ukadelics put on a very fun show, and will have you singing and smiling in the Ol' but new Aloha way.

P

Very funny syntho-Doc!
any Japanese speakers out there know what the narrator was really saying?
How many folks are signed on for the bar tour so far?

On 2009-06-02 09:15, palapala wrote:
Very funny syntho-Doc!
any Japanese speakers out there know what the narrator was really saying?
How many folks are signed on for the bar tour so far?

What makes you think the Japanese speakers aren't saying what is put in subtitles, Palapala? ;o)

Update: As far as folks on board for the SAHBT so far -- and we've still nearly two and a half months to go! -- over half the capacity has been filled, with still a whole slew of folks sitting on the bamboo fence (which can hardly be comfortable, but heck, it's their bottoms not mine).

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2009-06-11 13:48 ]

I would love to go to this, but we will have to see. We will just be returning from our 2 week tiki road trip on the 19th. May be a bit much to head right up to Seattle. Especially, since we will be in Seattle on the Sept 4th and 5th.

Screw it! I'm going to try and make this happen!

I am very pleased to announce that one of Seattle's most impressive homes and outside Tiki bars -- The Hollywood House of Tiki -- is now a stop on this year's Tour. Fabulous!

Update! As of July 10th, the capacity for the SAHBT is getting close to filled. Don't wait 'til August to make your reservations!

B

I had SOOOO much fun last year. I'm extremely bummed I can't do it this time around. Don't forget me for next year though - I hope to be financialy able then :( Sounds like it's gonna be AWESOME! Don't forget to take pics people!

I've been informed that the August issue of Seattle Magazine has a little article (page 21) mentioning the Seattle Area Home Bar Tour. Nothing really substantial or informative; more a brief, but positive blurb. (Little do they know the SAHBT is so much more!) I haven't seen the physical article myself (as all the stores I've been to only have the July issue available) but hear there's a couple images of the Hollywood House Of Tiki, which is featured on this year's Tour. Still, worth a look-see for some of you locals.

P

Yay! Just bought my ticket!

K

I had so much fun at Tiki Kon here in Portland. I am seriously considering making the drive up to Seattle.

Update: As of Sunday, August 16th, only four spots left open for the SAHBT this upcoming weekend. Interested in attending? The cost is $50/person payable to [email protected]. Please contact me first for availability. Deadline for available reservations is August 19th. No reservations (even if spots are available) will be accepted after this date.

We've had some dodgy weather here in Seattle lately: extreme heat followed by unseasonably overcast and almost chilly weather (mainly in the evening); but the weather has been returning to 'normal' and the forecast for this weekend looks very good.

As per usual, not many TC'ers are attending. But for those who are -- and who read this post -- I look forward to seeing you; and more importantly, hope you have a stellar time.

Best and Aloha.

-T.G.

As stated, the 2009 SAHBT has now reached its capacity. No more reservations will be accepted.

I just sent you a PM Terence.

P

For anyone interested, I will be vending my Voodoo Doll Hair Clips!

Liza

Got the go-ahead from Terence. I will be vending some paintings I brought back from Tiki Oasis and have my raffle tickets available. The draw for the raffle will happen ON THE BUS TOUR. YEA!!!!
OK heres a selection of what will be availabe

prices $30-60.

Raffle

each raffle ticket is a small tapa painted box containing a
tiny watercolor painting

and a tiki pendant

the PRIZE is a large framed watercolor painting. one of the set of 3 made specifcally for the Golen Gallery fine art show at Hukilau this yr.

if you would like to pre pay for a raffle ticket before the evENt PM ME

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-08-19 13:26 ]

S

Dawn, do I need to bring my box with me or remember the number?
Or did you write everyone down that got one.
Lemme know!
I wanna win!!!!!!!!
Also, Terence, did you say SWIMMING POOL???
You know I'm always up for that!!!
wheeeeeee
swimsuit and towel packed!
Pea

P

Along with doing the BBQing for friday night, I'll be bringing some of my mugs to vend, also.

Friday's Menu;

Apps:
Lill's sweet n' sour meatballs
Teriyaki Bacon explosion

Mains:
Calamansi garlic prawns
Ayam panggang Soho Lychee chicken drumsticks
Hawaii local style cabbage and ramen salad(vegan)
Pala's Indo flavour coconut rice(vegan)

Afters:
coconut butter mochi

Wear loose fitting pants 'yall!!

Pea Ive got a list of everyones raffle number, no need to bring your box.

Palapala wearing loose fitting clothes only applies to those who actually get to have some food. last yr I couldnt get any where near it. I recomend eating in adavnce so you dont get too loaded from cocktails

Hey Dawn, thanks, good thing!

Palapala, I can't wait to try bacon explosion even though it sounds
so wrong.
are your meatballs
beef or chicken, or turkey or veggie? they sound great but
I can't have the cow, so I want to be sure I don't ruin myself for Saturday. heehee
YUM, I wanna eat NOW

Dawn, I wasn't in charge of the food last year..
I have over 23 Lbs of chicken.
6 Lbs. of prawns.
the bacon explosion will be at least 3-4 Lbs.
the rice will be enough for us and then some..
We are feeding no more than 55 folks
that averages out to about 33 lb. of protein..
more than 1/2 lb. for everyone!

I'm a proud cook of jewish heritage. we ALLWAYS have more than we need!
Miss Pea,
sorry, but the cow is in the balls, but not to worry, plenty to eat other than that!

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-08-20 11:29 ]

okee, I'll stick with the prawns chicken and bacon then.
YAY. and I otter be early for food, cause I gotta bail by 9 pm I'm afraid.
Gotta git to my birthday party over at the Tractor Tavern! wheeeeeeee!

Palapala Im sure your manu is fabu and my comment was in no way about you but more about the ravenous party goers

P

90 chicken legs.
7-10 lb. bacon explosion.
Big food.
BIG.

R

Here's palapala making a bacon explosion :

mmmmm bacon. me and both dogs are drooling.

S

OH, MY GAWD BACON!!!!!!!!

P

Yup. porkadelic to be sure!
there are 3 that size for Friday.
I desided to use water chestnuts, fresh pineapple, and green onions rolled up inside the ground pork interior, instead of more bacon..now you can feel so healthy, knowing there's a little "salad" inside!

Palapala - I'm DYING just looking at that and reading the description! I'm not able to come this year but I may have dreams of that bacon explosion for the next few days! Hey! Didn't you say you were Jewish?! LOL

oy vey!
you caught me!
Nothing more yummy than forbidden fruit!

B

That's true!

mmmm explosion of bacony goodness

A few Seattle Home Bar Tour Pics

More pics of those kool Northwest home bars, please!

T

ZOWIE

Tiki TERRIFIC Thortiki

Here are some more good photos from the tour. (Some will require a facebook account.)

Darcy's Flickr
Liza's Facebook
Rebecca's Facebook
Kym's Facebook

[ Edited by: monkeyskull 2009-08-24 19:11 ]

P

A great big ginormous THANK YOU to everyone who made the Seattle Home Bar Tour a success! Peter for always hosting the most amazing parties in his incredible home and Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge! Palapala for cooking for days for everyone! Bacon Explosion made me want to turn in my vegi card! Terence for organizing and hosting us at the Shrunken Head Lounge. Lynette for throwing a wonderful shindig at Island Life. Anthony for sharing his fabulous Hollywood House of Tiki. This place was picture perfect down to the last detail! And our bus driver for tolerating us jumping out of the emergency exit because we couldn’t get to the booze fast enough and singing at the top of lungs to Heart and Journey!

I met lots of wonderful new people this year and reconnected with friends from past events which really made this event! A few of you I can’t find on facebook, (Jeffery, you need to sign up, Aaron from Portland) so please find me!

Pix here: facebook.com/VoodooDollDesigns I think I have all of them open so everyone can see them. If I were more smarter I could put this in a link like Peter did above!

P

some photos of the bacon explosion from friday night...

This was the fourth annual Seattle Area Home Bar Tour, and I must say...this year's event wins for the most craziest and most rowdiest SAHBT. And THAT is really saying something! I'm still trying to get my breath back. As the sole organiser of the event I learn something each year; and mainly that is that each year is going to be a different experience that I cannot predict. However, despite any problems and shortcomings (which largely go unnoticed), each event has been a success; and this year's event was nothing short of a success. And though I am the organiser, the success of the event should be duly attributed to the attendees and, most respectively, the home bar owners themselves, without whose support the event would not be possible.

Only a dozen TC'ers from the NW (including B.C.) attended the event (out of nearly 60 attendees), but I will still post thanks to all involved.

Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge (Pete):
Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge ranks in my Top 3 of best Seattle Area Home Bars/Lounges (and I've been scoping these out in the Seattle area since 1996), but I would rank it, in this case, No. 1 for the general scope of the interior (the basement Lounge) and backyard space, decor and atmosphere. Pete's generosity and co-operation and attentiveness to detail is also to be commended and attributed for this ranking. This bloke isn't messin' round, TC Ohana: he knows his stuff, has done his 'homework' and done his 'combat training' in preparation; has put tremendous forethought, labour, and expense into his environment; he has tremendous imagination, integrity and scope, and knows how to execute such. He's an artist. And a damn good fellow. I'm blessed to know him, as is anybody who's been to his place.

Island Life (Lynette)
Met her in 2007, and she's been a supporter of the SAHBT since. I adore this woman and her vision; her generosity, scope, and youthfulness. Her shop is the only one like it in Seattle -- and especially at the prices she offers. Sadly, Island Life may not last much longer, due to lack of patronage and the City Of Seattle's re-construction of the multi-laned street Island Life resides upon: First Avenue, a major street for many shopkeepers.

Hollywood House Of Tiki (Anthony)
A picture-perfect setting for a 1950s Hollywood Ranch House done in a Tropical flair. Anthony's a wonderful fellow. He knows Retro aesthetics and he's done his house from top to bottom in detailed, well-placed vintage decor and Neuvo-Retro designs, in a manner that would make any Vintage-Collectible-ite envious, and any Real Estate Agent inspired. But nothing in this domestically-Retro experience is cluttered: all domestic articles are functional and diplomatically-placed, as a proper home should be.

Anthony had his home and all the furniture, etc. up for sale last year. In the end, he decided against it. I, and many people, are glad he did. I hope he is too.

The Shrunken Head Lounge
Wait a minute...that's my place.

Palapala (Barbara)
Hired as the provider of the food provisions for the first day's patrons. And boy! did she deliver! The past year's first day's food has always been good, but Barbara went well and beyond the call of duty this year! Bravo, Palapala!

Mai Tai Conspiracy (Seattle 'Band')
This is a group I created specifically for last year's SAHBT, but played again for this year's SAHBT and delivered well, peforming such songs as 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.', 'Quiet Village', 'The Savage', 'A Shot In The Dark', 'Apache', 'More', 'Bali Ha'i', 'Mission: Impossible', and 'The Breeze & I'. Should the group continue, Mai Tai Conspiracy will be revamping its personnel for future performances. And hopefully for the better!

Thanks also to the Ukadelics for performing at Island Life on the second day, giving the Tourists a musical Aloha upon their entrance.

Donations: A BIG THANKS to Lynette Wylie of Island Life. Also thanks to Squid and Dawn Frasier.

The Seattle Area Home Bar Tour relies upon attendees, yes, but more importantly, home bar owners who fit the bill. And it is the home bar owners that truly make the event happen. Many past home bar owners don't wish to participate in the SAHBT again. Too much trouble, I suppose. And there seems to be a lack of interested and/or forthcoming undiscovered home bar owners, despite the event's promotion over the years.

If you live in the Seattle area and have participated in the SAHBT, and should you wish it to happen again, the future of this event relies upon Home Bar stops. I can only revisit -- and revisit I am reluctant to do, unless the home bars were absolutely staggering -- so many from past SAHBTs (once again, those who are willing, and not very many are) so I look to others to help further the cause...and the event. Know somebody with a bar and lounge in their home (doesn't have to be tropical, but rather exotic or strongly thematic, preferably reflective of the mid-20th Century) or somebody who is planning one, then please don't hesitate to contact me or have them contact me. No new home bar stops = no future SAHBTs.

That said, I regret to say the Seattle Area Home Bar Tour event may close this year; or more realistically, may go into hiatus. I did my bit for four years, and am pretty burnt out on the whole affair. I need a rest. Hopefully during this period some new home bars with interested proprietors will come my way.

One thing I absolutely DO know is that any future SAHBTs will have a capacity of no more than 35-40 people (which will make it easier on the home bar owners and myself), and that the ticket price will be raised for the first time in four years.

So until the SAHBT happens again, all the best and aloha!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2009-09-09 23:33 ]

PS - a big thanks, DJ Terence Gunn, for the swell compilation CD. Excellent selections! Eddy

I agree I have been playing it every day. its my new favorite

P

Thank you also,TG and all of the other great folk on the tour...
It was great to cook for such a bunch of good eater's!
You all belong to the "clean your plate club"!
Thanks also for not taking a bite out of my hand while I was serving up the bacon explosion!

Mahalo! every one for the compliments regarding the 2009 SAHBT compilation. I'm so pleased you enjoy it! Put the CD comp on 'shuffle' mode and you'll get an enjoyable varied selection of tunes. With every SAHBT compilation each year I've tried to delve into the thematic elements of each proprietor's home bar and setting, selecting a choice number of representative musical selections. I hope they continue to serve, to entertain.

Pages: 1 44 replies