Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tribal finger pendant #3 done....p. 4

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

Here's my first ever attempt at carving. It's a carving of a trophy finger - a shrunken finger I guess! Only this one is actual size... I saw one something like it on a Twilight Zone episode called "The Jungle". One feather is from my Peruvian Nanday, and the other one is from a yellowhammer I believe. I did enjoy carving it... Try not to laugh, Ben! :)

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-04-26 19:15 ]

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-05-04 22:10 ]

M

Weird, in a shiver-down-my-spine-way. Great Idea, I had to save that image to my collection of remarkable carvings. Thumbs up! (though maybe not for this poor fella :lol:)

K

That's cool! I really did not think I would care for a finger carving much but you nailed it. Makes me want my own finger carving :) congrats

H

Looks good. Now you need to make a whole bunch so they can all hang from a big brass keyring.

T

That's pretty cool - all 5 (or ten) would make a cool wind chime.

C

hahaha, you are nuts! very well done and very cool!

Thanks so much for the kind words MarkusK, keigs20, Hakalugi, tikigap and Clarita. My kids gave me feathers from their collection and the beads. Now my little boy wants a finger too. Thanks again for looking and commenting!

S

Very well done and a first carving outstanding. This finger looks real
and the nail.

Nice Voudon feel.

Can you carve one with a ring on it?

B

HEY !! That looks like my finger !!! VERY NICE !!!! BUFFBAD

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 7:06 PM

Hey Sam! Good to seez you! That's a fine looking digit there. Can you carve a middle finger for me? Send it over to Benzo, C.O.D. :lol: Thanks!

Wild stuff Sam.

The finger reminds me of "The Monkey's Paw."

:o

Three Wishes Anyone?

Thanks so much, seeksurf, Greenman, Buffbad, GMan and Lake Surfer!

Hey greenman - I'm pretty sure I can carve one with a ring... Just send the ring right along! :)

Hey GMan - Ben's the inspiration! I can't do that! :)

T

the nail part is awesome.

B

Nice finger Sam, gives new meaning to "giving the finger",, but GMAN's proposal to "give" the finger and then make the recipient PAY for it is a New and devious twist which only a sane person would contrive.I'll get together a list of a dozen peeps to send the finger to, and All "cod" too! Make GMAN's old and crotchety with boogers under the fingernail.

Excellent finger btw. About time you carved something!

B

Nice finger Sam, gives new meaning to "giving the finger",, but GMAN's proposal to "give" the finger and then make the recipient PAY for it is a New and devious twist which only a sane person would contrive.I'll get together a list of a dozen peeps to send the finger to, and All "cod" too! Make GMAN's old and crotchety with boogers under the fingernail.

Excellent finger btw. About time you carved something!

T

Nice carving. The proportions look great, and I love how the stain came out. See Kirby, THIS is how you carve a finger, not literally carve your finger. I agree with other comments, a whole set would be cool, time to start on the other 9. I think a slightly curved finger at each joint would really spike the creepy factor.

WOW, I love this piece.
Maybe it's the Misfits fan in me, but i'd love to hang one of these around my neck and see how people react.
Brilliant idea and very well executed

Thanks so much, Tahitiki, Ben, Tiki Mango and Grapa! I appreciate the kind words! I had fun with carving it, and that's a good idea about the boogers, etc. Ben! Maybe a little nail fungus too?? :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 3:57 PM

"Make GMAN's old and crotchety with boogers under the fingernail."

I laughed so hard soda shot out of my nose!

What a great idea, Sam. What a great gift. A whole new way to give the finger to someone you love.....

-G

Thanks GMAN! Hey, it's a new gift idea - give a gift and tell someone where to go all at the same time!

T

Wow, haha! Great carving and so realistic! I think you're gonna start a trend of finger carvings here... :lol:

B
BigToe posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 2:39 PM

creepy as hell!

i love it!

Thanks BigT and Big Toe! Are you guys brothers? Those names are just too similar.... Thanks for the kind words, and bring on more fingers!

Very kewl Sam . im finishin up two paintins that are your kinda Jive . Keep ROCKIN DUDE.

Thanks a bunch Jymmy! I can't wait to see the 2 paintings!

What about the ears? Have to have some ears to go with the fingers.

Ears? Why ears? Don't noses go better with fingers? :wink:

B

Thats what I was thinkin! Sam,you have another carve in the works?

Ears and fingers are classic war collecting items. Noses get to mussy over time. Not enough cartilage to keep there form.....lol

Thanks Ben! My little boy wants me to do a finger for him, so I may do one that's different than this. He wants me to do one that looks like his finger... Hey tikilizard, I may try to do a cauliflower ear carving in the near future. I have to keep it edgy you know! :wink:

My little boy who's 5 wanted me to carve a finger pendant for him, so here it is. I carved it from a tree twig, and used the natural bend of the twig to represent the bend of the knuckle. It's more of a petite finger than the last one, but hopefully just as creepy. Thanks for looking!

Sam, you Nailed this one too! nice carving, did you put finger prints on the other side?

http://kiltedtiki.com

[ Edited by: KiltedTiki 2009-04-26 19:31 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2009 8:03 PM

Nice Sam. Does it need feathers to qualify as a "bird"?

-g

Thanks so much Kilted Tiki and Gman!

Hey Kilted Tiki, there are no finger prints, but just the double creases where the finger bends. Finger prints are a possibility though!

Hey GMAN - no, this one doesn't need the feathers to be a bird. Just position finger upright with nail side facing outward, and it is effectively utilized as bird. :)

Yep, creepy for sure Sam, but in a good way!

Nice work!

Thanks so much Lake Surfer! It's great to hear that from a carver such as yourself!

a severed finger
but more petite..
something a child would want to wear!
:lol:

Rockin with this mini-series!
the cauliflower ear one is a MUST-TO-DO!
only a true artist would examine the branch and find the slight bend...

Can feel the happiness in your voice when you write!
that's what it's all about!
:)

Samberginni !! Awesome.

B

Great Sam, Let me point something out to you, with your finger stuff you could get famous. 3 more and you will have a hand. Just be Careful, no knife "Slipsies", Take your time, hate to see you Need to be using one of those guys! I Love you being over here and carving wood.

L

I like your work as a painter for a long time, now I appreciate your sculpture frightening!! :o

I feel some David Lynch vibes.

Thanks so much for the comps on this, Ken, surfintiki, Ben, laojia and Robb!

Hey Ken, yes, what healthy child wouldn't want a hardened severed human finger to show his friends? :wink: I can't wait until he starts school and has show-n-tell!

Surfintiki, thanks again for the kind words!

Hey Ben- Thanks much for the kind words and advice. I do remember those pics of yours with the tiki "bites" on your finger!

Hey Iaojia- I appreciate the comp! Creepy is cool I always say!

Hey Robb, I guess a severed ear should be next right? :)

Very cool, nice details! I think it would be cool if you ever made another one to make it look like a bone where you put the cord through.

Sam are you giving us the finger again.....know what have you been told about that....:lol: Nice work. He should have cleaned the dirt out from under his nails. Looks creepy real. Now how many can you make before Halloween?

Thanks so much tikifreak1 and tikilizard! Maybe I'll do a few more before Halloween.... :)

S

Sam thats just creeepy! Nice work.

Thanks so much seeksurf! Creepy is the objective here!

Pages: 1 2 52 replies