Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

HAND MADE tiki bar + extras for sale. (SEE PICS!) *edit*

Pages: 1 16 replies

100% swank HAND MADE tiki bar. This is not some cheesy Christmas Tree Shops faux bamboo and plastic bar that will fall apart in a couple of years, this is a SOLID PIECE OF FURNITURE that will last a lifetime if properly cared for. All wood, MDF and real bamboo construction (designed and built by me about 4 years ago). Features bottle opener, wooden lazy susan and built-in wooden rack to hang margarita/martini glasses from on interior of bar (glasses, liquor and other bar accessories not included). Bamboo & wood roof attaches easily to wall with hooks & eyes (included) and is quite sturdy. Or...if the roof is a little too much for you, the bar can also be used without it. Front is upholstered with leopard-print fur. Must be seen to be fully appreciated!

Bar (sans roof) measures 44"H x 48"W x 23"D. Top of roof is approx. 7'5" when attached to wall.

Comes complete with two wood & bamboo stools, giant 3 1/2' tiki mask wall-hanging, 5' bamboo bench, bamboo side table and two big rolls of natural bamboo fencing (one 6', and one 3') . This whole setup would be amazing in any extra room or enclosed porch (outdoor use not recommended).

Bar is located in Lawrence, MA and the first $500 takes the whole lot. If I'm feeling particularly saucy, I may throw in a few cool extras (in addition to the stuff shown here). I don't see how shipping this thing would be an inexpensive option, so buyer must make arrangements to move or pick up.

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE!

Thanks and aloha!

:drink:

[email protected]

[ Edited by: Scrodzilla 2009-04-16 15:28 ]

[ Edited by: Scrodzilla 2009-04-16 16:17 ]

T

wait for it...

Hehehehe

...and to think you can get this for only $200, 30 miles from this guys bar.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fuo/1120134461.html

the chair in that craigslist add is a haywood wakefield ashcraft worth the 200 bucks all by itself

Wow...I forgot for a second that the tiki community is so full of snobs. My most sincere apologies to all I have offended by trying to sell something I built that I no longer have use for.

[ Edited by: Scrodzilla 2009-04-16 04:43 ]

",,a tiki bar i no longer have use for"......i just find it hard to identify with that statement.....i can never see the day when i would actually utter those words.....

how does one not have use for a tiki bar in ones life??...i think more people need to realize that a tiki bar is precisiely what they need in their wretched lives.....

..unless of course you realize you have a problem and have joined a 12 step program.....in which case getting rid of your tiki bar is probably step number one of the program....

good luck in your sale none the less...

Thanks, Tipsy.

The only reason I no longer need this particular bar is because I built a bigger one. It seats six, is complete with a sink and top-loading fridge and will permanently reside in the newly finished basement of my home. It's not "vintage", though...so I guess it's pretty much junk.

:P

I, for one, applaud the fact that you built this yourself. At least it is your own vision of a tiki bar made by your own mitts and not someone else's idea of what constitutes a tiki bar. Keep to making things in your own style while the less talented individuals (myself included) try to integrate/reconcile bought items with our own personal tastes. I don't mean to be insulting with my previous sentence but as much as I would love to find an Eero Aarnio bubble chair, I'd be ecstatic if I had the ability and imagination to make my own designs a reality.

Those that can, build. Those that can't, buy.

-The J half of the J/Maggie combo that is miss monk-ii

[ Edited by: Miss Monk-ii 2009-04-16 09:10 ]

I, for one, think you did a good job on that bar. If I was to attempt to build a tiki bar, I would probably do something similar. But, in my opinion, $800 is a very high price. And the fact that you warn people not to "haggle" makes it seem like you are pretty much stuck on that price. The reason for my posting the craigslist link, was to show you that maybe you might want to rethink the pricing on your bar. Hey, maybe you get $800, if you do, more power to ya. But I posted that link, showing that you can get nice vintage pieces (wether you like vintage or not, is one thing, but the vintage pieces will have a higher resale value if you ever need to sell), for a fraction of the price you are asking.

My posting was not an attempt to be a snob. It's just that, in my opinion, your posting kind of came off being a bit snobby yourself...

"SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY! If you're planning on contacting me with an attempt to haggle, convince me to deliver, or generally waste my time, please do not bother. "

I wanted to post the craigslist link to show you, and perhaps non-experienced buyers, what else can be bought for only a fraction of the price.

But like I said, if you can get that price for your bar, more power to ya. Maybe your stuff will be the hot vintage pieces people want 50 years from now.

Market value aside, the tiki bar looks well built, and certainly is better built than my current tiki bar, which is a door sitting on top of boxes, with raffia stapled to it!

Sturdily built for sure, and for all that labor it should demand a good price --but all the hard edges and straight lines make it look kinda uncomfortable, almost uninviting to me, personally.

As a person who makes stuff too (me)... its hard to separate yourself from the labor and cost involved in a project when you try to price it for sale. In the end you need to know your competition WELL and know what is in demand. Have your finger on the pulse of coolness.

Sometimes that is hard to do. Some of us will NEVER have the level of pure craftsmanship and artistic ability that some others here have. Thus our work will be priced lower.

No matter how much I practice and how hard I try, I will never carve as well as Crazy Al and thus my carvings will most likely never sell for the prices that his work commands.

With that in mind.. it doesnt matter how much you spent to make it or how long it took you to make. If its not on par with other $800 tiki bars.... then it wont sell for $800.

It is possible that there is such limited availability in your area of product like this that someone could be dying for a bar just like yours. Or perhaps they know so little of tiki stuff that this might be the coolest thing they have seen. For $800 it seems unlikely.

I only offer this perspective as someone who also fabricates his own work and thus has dealt with the pricing issues you currently face. I think its great you are making your own stuff and hope you keep sharing here on Tiki Central.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2009-04-16 13:42 ]

I do appreciate these responses, and apologize if I seemed out of line in any way. I did, however, feel as though I was being attacked (albeit slightly) and went into "retaliation mode". I've been an avid collector of all things tiki for nearly 15 years now. My vintage is mixed with my new/repro and have a pretty swank tiki room in my home. A couple of you have complimented my bar and judging from you comments, I may be asking a bit too much. As Monkeyman stated, it is hard to separate yourself from the labor and cost involved in a project when you try to price it for sale. This being said, I will lower the cost by 300 bucks.

Is $500 too much to ask for my bar and the things I'm including? For someone who may not already have a tiki room set up in their house and looking to make the first step, I feel it's a good deal.

I didn't mean to sound "snobby". I just hate trying to sell something online and get swamped with e-mails from people who try to chisel the price down to nearly nothing.

and when the chislers have no intention of buying it .....lol
That makes it even worse!
selling anything is a drag,I like it when folks just offer that cuts out the whole akward judgment and feelings bit.
good luck and post photos of your NEW bar!

L

I like the bar...but not the roof part. I personally was built something similiar by an ex-boyfriend and I immediately asked him to remove the thatched roof. Being in an apartment it just felt like the bar took up too much space.

If you don't have much luck with selling it you may want to take off the top piece and just leave the bar itself. Perhaps someone in an apt would be more inclined to purchase the item (like if you tried selling it on CL) if it was built more with that in mind.

Regardless I can't build anything to save my life. I give props to anyone with the skill to do so :)

And I too would be interested in seeing your new bar that you have built.
Welcome to TC.

Thanks, leleliz. My new bar is 99% complete but the room containing it is still a work in progress. I took some pics but they didn't do the bar justice...so I'll be sure to take more once my tiki room is finished.

I agree...the roof would take up a lot of space if used in a small room. I had it located in a rather large space, so it wasn't a problem. The roof does come off, though, for those who would rather roll in a convertible.

:)

Pages: 1 16 replies