Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Trader Vic's Black Stripe, anyone got the recipe?

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

I know it's probably extremely simple, but I'd like the measurements and the ingredients just the same. My favorite local bar/restaurant, the amazing Bleu Bistro on Broadway in Seattle (home to countless great but non-tiki drinks) WILL do fire, as evidenced by their wonderful Spanish Coffee, as beautiful to see in production as it is delicious. Of course, with no TV's in Bellevue any more, I'd love to ask one of their helpful tenders to make me one of these.

The ones I've had at TV's tend to be quite potent, so I imagine they're heavy on the liquor-to-water ratio. I've not tried Bleu's Hot Buttered Rum yet, but at most places this is 99% hot water, little flavor and little bite. The Black Stripe has always been flavorful to the last, strong and warming, and of course flaming (the skull mug helps - I bought my BF one to take to boring office meetings).

Anyone know the recipe, and the best sort of rum to use? I think Bleu has a fair selection, but probably nothing too unusual. I assume the fire is a 151 float, and it has spices (cinnamon stick, whole cloves...more?)

I have never personally tasted one. However, have you tried the recipes from online sources to compare?

From the 1972 TV Bartender's Guide:

Black Stripe
2 maraschino cherries
1 teaspoon honey
Boiling water
2 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
1 oz. Jamaica rum
1/4 oz. 151-proof rum

Crush cherries in bottom of a Trader Vic's skull mug or a heat-proof glass. Add honey and hot water to fill; stir. Add Jamaica rum, cloves, and cinnamon. Float 151-proof rum. Flame.

T

I've seen a few recipes online, but I thought I'd ask here to get the real TV's recipe. And I got it. Thank you!! Going to pass this to the tender at Bleu.

Pages: 1 3 replies