Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cook Islands on Huell Howser

Pages: 1 28 replies

On KCET right now, Huell visits the Cook Islands. It's an hour-long show 7:00 - 8:00 tonight.

Oh no, the Mr. Rogers of travel TV traipsing thru Polynesia!

H

He is a little sarcastic as we speak...

He was!? Wow. I find his usual, overdone and meant-to-be-infectious boisterousness a little grating -a measured dose of sarcasm would offer some respite of that.

Soooo...what have we learned from that show? It's PARADISE in the Pacific! :)

I tried to watch but it was too uncomfortable.

BY GOLLY, RIGHT HERE WHERE WE'RE STANDIN'? THAT is really somethin!! (looks at camera)
Come over here I wanna talk to you. You were here when it happened? yes I was. I was standin right here when it happen. WELL BY GOLLY. RIGHT HERE ON THIS SPOT? yes right here on this spot.

H

You mean to tell me....

Thaaaats Amaziiing

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CJ

I've been recording his show to play this some day.

http://www.losanjealous.com/2006/09/07/huell-howser-the-drinking-game/

I also have this milk bottle. Would it be okay to put it on ooga mooga?

I've heard that Huell likes to chug the white stuff.
:o

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-04-19 21:53 ]

Ouuuh, thass bad, Jeff, thass bad, very un-PG. But true.

what are you referring to Sven,
I meant milk,

I used to like milk, but I'm becoming lactose intolerant,
and can't really handle it much anymore.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey! Don't be doggin on Huell!
Watched it at the studio whilst painting...
The only really memorable stuff was the
tattoo artist
the singing in the church
and the village to village song and dance..
Was hoping for some tiki...
but most huell episodes are tolerable.

I missed the Cook Island episode. I actually like watching him, but not too much.

Huell Howser is California's best emissary.
I would love to hang with his crew and discovery California's Gold.

A blurb from his site:

Huell's Cook Island Adventure takes us to the beautiful South Pacific. Close your eyes and imagine lush green tropical islands popping up out of a turquoise blue/green sea and surrounded by seemingly endless white sandy beaches. Then add the fact they are home to people who are the nicest and kindest you have ever met and you have the Cook Islands. Huell spent an entire month in this paradise with his little handheld high definition camera and put together a one hour special which will give you an idea of what this amazing place is all about.

http://www.calgold.com/specials/Default.asp?Series=11

Don't dis Huell! You know you'd kill to have his job!!! He reminds me of another "Urban Archeologist" who brings us interesting information right from our own communities and under our noses! :P

I lived in LA for quite a while and I have to admit, since I've moved to San Diego, I really miss Huell Howser. He was able to scrape the top of pretty much every iceberg in California. If you watch his show enough, it's a good primer as to whether or not you might want to investigate a place further. And he was really able to go off to some pretty far out places. I envy his job. What a life! He helped save me a drive once or twice, that's for sure. Plus he helped me find some pretty awesome places in LA, like Galco's Market. When I moved to LA, Huell Howser and the book LA Bizarro helped guide me to some of the most awesome places around.

I think his shows are hilarious. He's a crack up.

I remember about 10 years ago, a friend of mine was at the Tiki Ti with a bunch of people. Huell Howser was there. He bought them a round of drinks! He told some awesome stories then ended up showing them a few other Hollywood/LA, off the beaten track bars and had a blast.

Bar hopping with Huell Howser! Awesome.

D

He can find something interesting about everything. Even a slug!

"Now look at that slug. Now what kind of slug is that! He's very peculiar isn't he?"

for those who don't know who Huell is....

Hey! I just realized somethin...
Huell is "Hell" plus "u"!
:o

On 2009-04-20 10:36, Tiki Shaker wrote:
I lived in LA for quite a while and I have to admit, since I've moved to San Diego, I really miss Huell Howser. He was able to scrape the top of pretty much every iceberg in California. If you watch his show enough, it's a good primer as to whether or not you might want to investigate a place further. And he was really able to go off to some pretty far out places. I envy his job. What a life! He helped save me a drive once or twice, that's for sure. Plus he helped me find some pretty awesome places in LA, like Galco's Market. When I moved to LA, Huell Howser and the book LA Bizarro helped guide me to some of the most awesome places around.

I think his shows are hilarious. He's a crack up.

I remember about 10 years ago, a friend of mine was at the Tiki Ti with a bunch of people. Huell Howser was there. He bought them a round of drinks! He told some awesome stories then ended up showing them a few other Hollywood/LA, off the beaten track bars and had a blast.

Bar hopping with Huell Howser! Awesome.

All that might have been true 10 years ago, but now his shows are kind of repetitious, more something for the Huell fan club- which is BIG. Once I was at a Palm Springs reception he attended also, and the girl behind the buffet was out of her mind about his presence, because "he's a famous film star!" :D

What was the result of the Cook Islands show?: The place is beautiful, and the people are sooo nice! Wow! Blow me down! I would have never.....Oh, and we learned that he got to stay there for a month. Good for him :) If you like to watch the show so you can see that he has the best job in the world, you will be satisfied. But something called "more in depth" about the subject at hand should not be expected. And I don't think it is, I think he fills his slot beautifully.

He needs to do a segment on the Hedley Family and The Cove aka Royal Palms/white Point.

" there was a Hooooouse made out of Driftoooood?!! With a Doooooory Booooat Doooor??"

It would be icing on the Cali. cake!

Mr. Huell?? you reading this??

LT

On 2009-04-20 15:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
He needs to do a segment on the Hedley Family and The Cove aka Royal Palms/white Point.

" there was a Hooooouse made out of Driftoooood?!! With a Doooooory Booooat Doooor??"

It would be icing on the Cali. cake!

Mr. Huell?? you reading this??

That's actually a good idea - you should forward that suggestion on to him.

for what its worth I do like to watch his show.
but you have to admit the guy is an easy target to be made fun of.

and Adam Corolla said it best.
he's safe on PBS, if he was on regular TV , if he made it to the air, he would have been canceled 1 episode in. And that there is probably nothing that hits the editing room floor in the production of his shows.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-04-20 16:07, bigtikidude wrote:
if he was on regular TV , if he made it to the air, he would have been canceled 1 episode in.

If, by regular TV, you mean the networks, Adam is probably correct. But keep in mind that anything with a hint of creativity, originality or intelligence seems to disappear fast on the big TV networks programming.

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2009-04-20 23:11 ]

I have to admit I am damaged: He recently did a show on the DRAINED Silverlake reservoir in my neighborhood. It just was an empty concrete lake with mud on the bottom. He somehow managed to spend half an hour, (or was it an hour?), talking about that. I had hoped for some old photos of my neighborhood, or stories about it, or ....ANYTHING. But it was just mud, and the DWP engineers. Pure torture. He definitely would not have gotten away with that on commercial TV.

H

He is pretty unfriendly in person. I see him quiet often at Musso and Frank. And he remains unfriendly every single time trying to pretend he doesn't recognize us. I can understand the attitude if he was rich and famous, but seriously...( and please don't tell me I need to understand because he is a celebrity etc. etc.) So now we ignore him completely when we see him. I have to agree with Sven, I watched the show on Cook Islands, I got bored and changed the channel. Maybe he needs to stay in California and not venture out. When he first started his show it was interesting and fun but not anymore.

On 2009-04-20 18:38, hiltiki wrote:
He is pretty unfriendly in person. I see him quiet often at Musso and Frank. And he remains unfriendly every single time trying to pretend he doesn't recognize us. I can understand the attitude if he was rich and famous, but seriously...( and please don't tell me I need to understand because he is a celebrity etc. etc.) So now we ignore him completely when we see him. I have to agree with Sven, I watched the show on Cook Islands, I got bored and changed the channel. Maybe he needs to stay in California and not venture out. When he first started his show it was interesting and fun but not anymore.

Our family was featured in a "Visiting... With Huell Howser" segment last year. I can attest to the fact that he is not the friendliest guy when the cameras aren't rolling. He's a sweetheart when they are rolling - although slightly intimidating, shoving that mic right in your face...
I still love Huell, though :) The tiki episode was hilarious.

Terra
[email protected]

T

I watched this episode over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I was just surfing the TV directory and found the show by accident.

It was so-much better than watching Everyone Loves Raymond, Paranormal States or the news.

The Cook Islands are on my "Things to do before I die" list. Truly Heaven on Earth.

P

Aloha, floratina - I miss you.
Glad to see you on TC albeit a drive by.

Pages: 1 28 replies