Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Yangtze Restaurant--Ontario CA, Inland Empire

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hi,

While I know this isn't pure Tiki, and is in fact, more Orientalia, I thought this place, a local family favorite since 1961 deserved a topic. (Please pardon the photo quality; they're camera phone pics--I plan on going back with my digital and getting decent ones)

Here it is originally:

And after two renovations:

(1964)

(1972)

Here are interior shots:

(note the booths with olive and charcoal naugahyde):

(wall paper detail)

(in many of the above you can also see the lovely mid-century dark wood walls, etc.)

Art on the walls is exquisitely carved and layered from shells, etc.:

The interior has been kept vintage ranging from decor to the cash register:

Here is a shot of the bar. It is dark but it is one of the highlights that I plan on getting better shots of:

And here is the owner, Ms. Edna Gin, and her son Gary Gin, who have owned it this whole time:

Now, as I have said, I know this isn't strictly tiki, but being so mid-century perfect, being kept in a nearly orignal state, and being that in the IE there aren't a lot of places such as this (as well as anyplace anywhere that serves a $4.50 Mai Tai, or their specialty, the $3.50 Yangtze Moon), I thought it was too good not to share--as well as garner support for these fine people and their establishment--and what better place could I think of to start with than Tikicentral?

You see, the building next door is a former pawn shop, since closed; the building is due to be demolished. The problem is that they share a common wall--so demolishing the pawn shop means ripping an entire wall off of a nearly fifty year old establishment in nearly original state--an utter travesty and something that will devastate the restaurant's business. Right now they are in dealing with the city to preserve their establishment, but when dealing with the city's vultur---er shark---er lawyers, they are having to watch their back at every step.

This is sort of a thread in progress, but I'd love for people to share their thoughts, etc.

Thank you for your time.

Do you have an address or phone number?

126 N Euclid Ave.
Ontario CA, 91762

(909)986-8941

:)

TM

Damn cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little sparse, perhaps.

Aloha all

“A little sparse, perhaps”

Hey Sven you may not have heard but mid century design was sort of distinguished by its “sleek lines” and “sparse” décor, modern they used to call it. You can read a great book about a similar subject, “Tiki Modern” although it doesn’t cover Chinese restaurants too much I highly recommend it. Sorry Sven I just had to make the joke. You would love the place, after all these years the Yangtze is still in fairly good shape Charles Phoenix told Truus and I about it as he is the expert on (many) things I.E. Aside from some stuff like the Chinese tourist art, blue exterior awnings and the like which they have added over the years it is amazingly intact. It really is a wonderful example of where modern (commercial) style was heading in the early 60’s until America got derailed and Taco Bell box style became our country’s idea of good design. From the moment you see the exterior with Asian style font on the split faced white rock wall treatment and the beautiful modern lamps you know it’s going to be cool inside. The whole room is broken up with a series of wooden slats or screens, they are effectively used thru out the whole place, some you can see outside light thru. The booths are a great avocado green (perhaps redone in the 70’s?) the bar is dark, with black seating, wood paneling, simple and cool and slightly different than the rest of the place, the first time we went in they had a cigarette machine in the back, what more could you want? Sorry for the poor photos I know we have more here somewhere but this is all I could find.
There was a recent thread here about urban archeology, this place is a great example of just that, it is not Tiki but it is beautiful I have seen hundreds of similar establishments disappear and then like the last of an endangered species they are gone forever. It is a time capsule in every sense, this is how people lived, this is what they ate, it is like walking into an art installation, take advantage of it.
While you are in the area drive around there is some great mid century architecture a couple of blocks over in a few directions, but be careful I have been told Upland is/was the bank robbery capital of the country.

My very best Alohas,

Bosko

On 2009-04-28 14:43, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
Aloha all

. . .

It really is a wonderful example of where modern (commercial) style was heading in the early 60’s until America got derailed and Taco Bell box style became our country’s idea of good design.

Alas, what could have been.

this is a lil late ! but thanks for posting i havent been there since i was a kid!! Ans yes the city is vultuering for it!!!! last i knew of!!

this is a lil late ! but thanks for posting i havent been there since i was a kid!! Ans yes the city is vultuering for it!!!! last i knew of!!

W

I hope they stay, I love places like that and hate to see them torn down.

TS

Problem with preservation is that most cities are only looking to preserve Victorian-esque, The Edwardian Period(1901-1910) or era,(pre WWI) places of interest.

Small businesses, Homes and the likes, built in the 40's-60's are unfortunately NOT on protective agendas like they should be. My personal advice is there should be an advertisement taken out in the local paper to address the issue, maybe local TV news can get the owner's side, since it will be their livelyhood taken away from them, and some strong door-to-door rallying petitions are pretty much the three main things that can save community treasures like this one. Cities HATE media when it interferes with their plans, but it is highly effective. I was one of many, who helped save Florentine Gardens, Hollywood from a County movement to try to enforce eminent domain, to make way for a new Fire Department. Fortunately, Florentine Gardens still stands there today, with all of its historical glory. Media does help to create awareness, and it also generates supporters who sometimes can be super influencial. Goodluck to the current owners. This would be the worst timing to lose an already established business, and that card should be played with the media.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-12-13 08:28 ]

I love it! I hope they can fight off the damn chain stores!

Pages: 1 11 replies