Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

some tiki panels on ebay

Pages: 1 13 replies

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2003 8:43 PM

don't know if you braddahs and sistas lookin' fo dis kine decor fo da bar. these are da kinda panels we have here at La Mariana tiki restaurant. La Mariana purchased them from South Seas restaurant befo' dey wen closed. I will post pics later of the actuall tiki panels of da restaurant.

I make these because I feel dey give a vintage look to any tiki bar.

I know how much we all love tiki so go check em out and tell me wat you like o' don't like.

Shaka!

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2168293290&rd=1

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2168442761&rd=1

T

Really cool panels, Gecko!

I'm admiring the picture of the bar in one of the listings.... some pretty cool mugs there! But tell me the story behind the light bulb... is it a souvenir from Trader Vic's, or maybe the elusive custom 18w bulb from Kelbo's? :)

:tiki:

C

I can't take my eyes off that tiki.

D

oh man.. i havent seen anything on ebay that i've wanted more than those panels.. wow. nice.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2003 10:26 PM

ey howzit braddah Pup,

Ya, da bulb is a souvenir...from DAM K-MART!
forgot to take it out da dam pictcha ya. good eye!

here are da pics i'm talkin about. Now see da aloha sign I made with the vintage decor of La Mariana and you see dey wen match up pretty good.

Now I did da panels on ebay da same way as da aloha sign. I like to make my work look agedm or vintage if you like sey. It gives it a look dat you don't get from da store bought items...(pier imports). I experiment(sp?) with different tings' to get da old look.

So, even though we cannot get da hard to find items dat were once in da old Don da Beach,TV's, Kon Tiki's etc, because they were thrown out, I'm inspired to bring you da same look.......I still dont have da formula down pack but I gon get em.

in da next pics you can kinda see some panels all da way in da back against da walls. Those were from Don da Beachcombers Waikiki. Those more resemble da large ones I make. I think they are beautiful and is the exact reason why I gon reproducing em, Including some of my own designs ie da ones on ebay.

I'm always asked "wat is da object on da panel that my name is carved into?"

It's a gecko in my twisted mine. da eyes are on da front an there are da letters "M" on da middle and two letter "O's" on da top middle. that reads "Mo'o" wich means gecko in Hawaiian. Hard to explain. Don't know if you will see it. anyways, mahaloz fo da look!

shoots!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2003 10:33 PM

da first pic,

'tanks plenny fo da input! I love my culture an wat i do and it also helps to have peopo who have da passion like da peeps here in da TC village. Mahaloz!

geck

Gecko....love those panels....Mrs. Fury love the fish!! She told me not to watch it on ebay. Doesn't want me to know her secret name for gift buying. Hmmmm......

Gecko,

Those panels are absolutely GORGEOUS! Just my favorite style of 1960 modernist-tiki artwork. How did you color them?

Sabu

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2003 1:49 AM

it's 10:30 pm here on da islands. I cannot get away from da tube. CNN has me hooked like TC. Come to check wassup and I'm surprise to see that you guys like this style! I really thought that only myself and a handfull of peeps i know like it. I meet so many peopoz at La Mariana and they go straight fo da tikis, I go to da panels and jus stare. What i love about them is that there are no straight or even lines. evry'ting is uneven and not so straight and a little to much here or to little there BUT,
thats wot make em primitive and beautiful....kinda like Witco in a sense ya.

anyways, I'm happy to see da response.

Braddah Bongofury, consida' yourself lucky you have a wahine li'dat. My wahine hates ebay. so, no stoked gifts, jus get socks and drawz!

Sabu, because of da april fools joke....i no gon tell all my secret formula, jus
some of da secret formula fo da finish:

1 cup Shoyu (soysauce)
2 bay leafs
3 cloves garlic
pepper
2 lbs chicken

ho, sorry dats moms chicken adobo.

aloha Sabu, nice try braddah

try da adobo though.

shaka!

R
Reever posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2003 7:42 AM

Beautiful beautiful stuff, Gecko. When fortune comes my way and I open up the best Tiki restaurant/bar to ever hit the Texas shores, I'm hiring you to head up decor. I'm a designer and feel like I can handle a lot, but you have a true gift with wood and design...

Reever
[email protected]

[ Edited by: Reever on 2003-04-03 07:43 ]

Master Carver Gecko,
Beautiful work!! I've been enjoying all your pix. I'm of Mohawk Indian heritage and I love tribal arts, make drums, breastplates etc. Anyhoo I just wanna tell yah you inspire me. I think I'm gonna try my hand at that wood carving.

P.S. U live on Oahu? You're one lucky Kat!
Sneaky

G, what's up my fellow saw-dust covered brother? What month are you heading over here? We gotta make plans. Sabu is up to something fo-sho, I give him some carving tips and now he needs the recipe(secret). Something is cooking on the stove. Sabu .

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2003 12:08 AM

ho, it's been a long day fo me. home sweet home.

howzit braddah Reever, I gon pray tonight that you hit da lottery! I could use da work! TX is a pretty cool place to. Have met lotz a nice peeps there! I would love to see a vintage lookin' tiki bar go up in good 'ol Texas. Every time I see a new bar go up I don't see the vintage style of the past in the whole bar, jus paportions(sp?). we all like different things though.

I know If I hit da lotto, HO, I gon buy dat ol paint ball park in lake elsenore
(da Tikis) and go vintage crazy.

Aloha Sneaky, welcome to da village. Nice to see a variety of cultures enjoying da aloha spirit. Insperation is where da dreams begin. Go get some chizles and get bizzy braddah! you'll only get betta in time. You probubly already know this as you do Native American crafts. don't be discuraged of your first tiki. mine looked like da hamburgler from mikey d's!
shootz cuz!

ey what up Chiki, Funny how you say saw dust braddah....I get full body saw dust right now from some panels I wen made.

Looks like I'll be there maybe June or July? I still cannot figure out if I should go to Cali see my family & friends in June then to Florida ORRRR go afta da hukilau which would make it July? Any'ting goin on in June o' July to make my choice ez? promotions, jobs, parties?
somebody make up my mine! Time is tickin' and i get no tickets or reservations yet cuz I neva know fo wat do!?!?

I like hook up Chiki, I wanna see dis tiki mug carvin ting. Shootz braddah.

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2003 12:17 AM

stop starin' Cultjam! jus talkin funny. I enjoy you starin at em.

ey howzit sista Dogbytes, dat you dat wen bid on one of da panels? da name looks familiar. Not da tiki fish panel but da udda wun. Mahaloz for your kind words.

Pages: 1 13 replies