Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Transforming an ugly fireplace? Ugly pics included!

Pages: 1 7 replies

I have a fireplace in my tiki room that is outlined with 12 x 12 tiles. How could I cover it up, make it practically disappear by giving it a black lava look???

Also, I'm looking for some tiki door knobs. I have two doors that already have levers. Here is where my problem comes in. I'm looking for tiki knobs only for one side of the door (the side thats in the tiki bar room) and want to leave the existing lever on the other side. I would prefer some type of carved tiki but remember it has to twist to open the door so anything tropical will do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below are the pics so you know what I'm dealing with here.

[ Edited by: atomicchick 2009-05-05 09:37 ]

..creative people are visual people...we need pics please.....show us the fireplace and show us the door/knob/handle you want replaced and we may be able to help...

Just brainstorming...

How about make it look like a Tiki temple with an A-frame roof over it?

Border it with Tiki poles on each side and foliage around that.

You could buy a concrete (fireproof) female figure/statue from a garden shop and lay it over the top of your firewood to simulate a sacrifice to the tiki gods when lit for a party.

Possibly even place a concrete tiki inside the hearth as well.

A picture of your fireplace will definitely help :)

W

Info about the tile would be useful as well, whether it's fire proof but merely decorative or if it's actually keeping the room from bursting into flames.

Also mention how far you're willing to go (complete tear out or just want to hide it) and what sort of budget you have in mind.

P

If you want a Quick and easy way to go, untill you can afford the time and money to do more, you can paint over the tiles, and stamp or free hand tapa designs over them. check out my "poi dog paradise" pic's.

As someone who actually does construction and finsih work, heres what I would do, pop off the tiles its just glue or mortar, they only serve a decorative purpose. At yur local hardware box store you should be able to get faux rock. comes in squares, and a variety of stone type/finishes. Trust me when you get it put up IT LOOKS LIKE REAL ROCK. Then do what ever decor treatment you choose AROUND the newly installed faux stone, IE: an A-frame, or block tapa printing.
as for a "tiki" door knob, why not go with bamboo handle. you will need to modify your existing door handle. easy peasy!

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-05-05 13:08 ]

T

Get some rough stones from a local nursery and cover the tiles up "stick and lick" style. Drive some masonry anchors into the tile grout lines to help hold the stones. Do the whole thing rough enough so that it looks like some pagan alter. That way, you can still have a fire for effect.

Or - stick and lick and whole stone tiki God face with the mouth where the opening is. Tropical plants on either side and glowing red stained glass for the eyes.

Just get creative and make it work.

I've kinda a visual person too, can you post sketches of your ideas :)

Pages: 1 7 replies