Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smokin' Menehunes Sunday May 17 @ 4PM at Buster's Beach House in Long Beach, CA

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hot off the cocnut-bong wire: The Smokin' Menehunes will be playing their classic style of Hapa Haole Hawaiian music Sunday May 17, 2009 at 4PM. The Food is good and the parking is free!

Buster's Beach House
168 Marina Drive
Long Beach, CA 90803
Telephone:
(562) 598-9431
http://www.bustersbeachhouse.com

I'm there, might be a tad late.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

See ya Sunday Lucas..

TM

F-ing A!
San Jose!

Kamusta, my friend??? It will be cool to have a fellow bass man in da house!

(For anyone who does not know, "Slapbass" was the original bass player for the Tikiyaki Orchestra, and the man that re-introduced me to drinking fine Scotch from a hip flask!!)

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2009-05-13 14:51 ]

TM

Man, we had a blast!

It was so cool that members of two of my favorite exotica bands showed up (and stayed the whole time!)....Tikiyaki Orchestra (Jim, Brian, Jonpaul) and Exotiki (Dartin Menny) were in the house! Also, Spermy, Big Tiki Dude and Slap bass (from the 454's).

The only bummer was the earthquake at the end of the evening! I have always been told that if you are near the ocean and feel a strong quake, head for high ground...so I took off like a rocket trying avoid the Tsunami I thought was surely coming. But Slapbass was sitting at the bar calmly finishing his drink..

Marie, thanks again for being the ultimate hostess and band supporter!!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-05-18 10:21 ]

T

Great time last night, but, where the hell was everybody ?

The Menehunes at Buster's is a great way to laze away a Sunday late afternoon.

The view of the ocean is stellar, the music is Marina - For those who don't know, Buster's is right on the Marina, and is basically a wall of glass looking out over it.....BEAUTIFUL...., the drinks...HELLO? Marie makes da kine' TIKI drinks right out of the Beachbum Berry recipes.....completely dialed in, letter perfect and delicious.
The Food is Amazing....overall a great vibe.

And for you folks that need to turn in early for Monday Morning workweek....it ends early.

So, what do we have to do to get more people out to these shindigs ?

On 2009-05-18 08:39, tikiyaki wrote:
Great time last night, but, where the hell was everybody ?

So, what do we have to do to get more people out to these shindigs ?

Fire my boss! :wink:

I agree, great show, killer place with amazing drinks and Food.
I was very Sad to see such a low turnout.
that was just lame.
I wonder if people knew it was free, and early?

also did the band send out e-mails and Myspace messages about it?
I'm not on Myspace or their e-mail list and I knew about it.

I wonder if them playing on Fri also, had anything to do with the poor turnout.
hmmmmm

anyways, thanks for the Semi private show guys.
superb as always.

TM

On 2009-05-18 09:00, bigtikidude wrote:
I agree, great show, killer place with amazing drinks and Food.
I was very Sad to see such a low turnout.
that was just lame.
I wonder if people knew it was free, and early?

also did the band send out e-mails and Myspace messages about it?
I'm not on Myspace or their e-mail list and I knew about it.

I wonder if them playing on Fri also, had anything to do with the poor turnout.
hmmmmm

anyways, thanks for the Semi private show guys.
superb as always.

We are investigating the possibility of "twittering", but as far as e-mails and what not, we do and have sent them out. I have PMd many people on this forum, to no avail. After a while, I just kind of gave up when I realized Hapa Haole music was not as popular around these parts as I thought it would be. Either that or we just plain suck and no one wants to hear us!

I recorded the whole gig with a new device, and it came out fantastic. Sound like and old live recording of a vintage Don ho performance, somewhat....I am going to try and get a CD out of it.
Perhaps if people had something to listen to in the privacy of their homes, mai tais in hand, just relaxing, they would get the concept. There are not many bands playing this kind of music anymore. Jawaiian, slack key, pop hawaiian...lots of that. But very few old-school hapa haole bands still alive and kicking. Except us and maybe the sweet Hollywaiians. (Though I know that bands like the Freak Tikis and Mai Kai gents incorporate Hapa Haole in their sets.)

BTD, once I get a CD going I will get you a copy. Get us on the podcasts and webcasts and whatnot and maybe we will see some action!

Busters was great! +1 to everything said about the place...

The view was enough. Then to have the Menehunes playing made it that much better!

Glad I dragged my half dead carcass down there...

Lucas, as always, you guys sounded great!

Thanks Dartin! Totally made my night to see you there and get to hang out with you at the bar, (until the earthquake, of course!).

I also really appreciate the fact that you were "Half Dead" and still managed to make it out!

(Folks, this man was so tired because he literally just stepped off a massive tour with Big Sandy and the Fly-rite boys)

I always learn a lot about bass just by talking to you!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-05-18 10:20 ]

Jim, thanks for the text reminding me the Menehunes were at Busters! I totally would have gone except wifeys Aunt from Kentucky was visiting and we met up and went out to dinner in Oceanside with her. Otherwise Busters is a real hidden gem that when Marie is bartending has a "I feel like im on vacation" vibe. Busters is spitting distance from Don the Beachcomber too. Sometimes the small intimate crowds can be fun, but the Menehunes deserve a full house!

TM

That was a nice thing to say!

Regarding Marie: She is just the coolest chick in the world, hands down. She does everything good. I enjoy working with her and for her a lot.

S

Sunday was a blast..Lucas you guys were awsome as usual..I wouldnt worry too much about people comming out to your shows..
You know the people that do are the one's that are diggin it..
I love the sound of the menehunes (well its in my blood..what are ya gonna do) and theres no better way to spend a Sunday afternoon ..Easy music ..flowing drinks and good friends..The bartender was way cool..I lurk here more than post so it was nice to see some people that I have seen in pics..

I tried to bring out more people but was glad I got at least 4 of my friends off the couch..

Great hanging out with you guys..The bass bass playing was awsome..I still cant get over the instrumental in the song after White Sandy Beach..
The 3 of you were in such perfect rythm, i just looked at Dartin and we both were blown away!!!
About me calmly drinking my cocktail at the bar all by myself I may add. I'm just way to old and lazy to move that quick..
And besides there's a sign by the door that says you cant breing drinks outside!!1

We'll definitely catch you guys again for sure!!!

[ Edited by: slapbass 2009-05-19 07:12 ]

TM

Hearing those comments from an awesome bass player like you means a lot, man!

Pages: 1 14 replies