Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Indonesian Region/City-Titled Exotica songs

Pages: 1 28 replies

Aloha, all you TC Exotica afficianados out there!
I need your assistance. I'm looking for Indonesian region/city-titled Exotica songs from the late 1950s and 1960s, performed by the Kings of Exotica (Baxter, Denny, Lyman, etc.) or their copycats. Actually, as long as it is entertaining in the same musical vein, even slightly pop-oriented, I'd still like the suggestion. I haven't looked all the way through my disorganised and fairly large collection of Exotica tunes (and it would take far too much time!), and thought maybe a few songs would come my way on TC via suggestions from certain members.

The one song that did instantly come to mind is Cal Tjader's 'Borneo', which I have.

Mahalo!

Spice Islands Sea Birds

Sunrise Over Sumatra - Les Baxter.

"Monkey Dance of Bali" - Les Baxter

Mahalo, OnyaBirri, for the song suggestions! Which Baxter albums do the songs you listed come off of? Isn't 'Sunrise Over Sumatra' by Enoch Light off the album 'Far Away Places', rather than Les Baxter?

Ah, yes, 'Fruit of Dreams' is one of the albums; 'Ports Of Paradise' is the other. Still scratching my head over the other song ('Sunrise Over Sumatra'), though. Enoch Light comes to mind, not Les Baxter. I'll have to hunt it down. The first two songs are gorgeous but too orchestral for my purposes. The search continues.

I found 'Javanese Valley' by Warren Barker. It fits fairly well. Perhaps a bit heavy on the Oriental/Chinese side, but then again Exotica wasn't supposed to be folk-worthy authentic, but more escapist and exotic-sounding, for Western ears and perception, that is.

And please don't anybody suggest 'Java' by Al Hirt! :0)

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2009-05-21 23:58 ]

Sorry, I was mixing the title up with "Sunrise at Kowloon" which is from "Soul of the Drums." Yes, "Sumatra" is an Enoch Light tune.

The other two I mentioned are both from "Ports of Pleasure," although "Sea Birds" is not on the stereo copies I've seen. It is also on the "Exotic Moods" album.

The mono version of "Sea Birds" has overdubs that are not the stereo, and it's much better IMHO.

Duplicate post.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2009-05-22 04:11 ]

Stanley Wilson's "Pagan Love" features two Bali-inspired tracks - "The Proposal" and "Abduction of the Bride". The Bali connection isn't reflected in the titles, only in the LP sleeve notes.

Maybe you could also use one of the many versions of "Bali Hai" or "Surabaya Johnny"?

Another suggestion -- it was recorded well out of your timeframe of the 50s/60s, but isn't the Martini Kings' "Dance of the Virgins" also inspired by Bali? Again, it's not reflected in the title, but maybe it's worth a try. Cool song, anyway ...

Going contemporary, Waitiki has a song called Manila on their Charred Mammal Flesh CD.

On 2009-05-25 03:31, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:
Maybe you could also use one of the many versions of "Bali Hai" or "Surabaya Johnny"?

A great song and I have many versions, but 'Bali Hai' does not refer to Bali island in Indonesia, but is rather a song about a fictional island in the South Pacific (based on the real island Ambae), and featured in the musical 'South Pacific' by Rodgers and Hammerstein. 'Surabaya Johnny' is not very exotic, is it? Especially when sung in German. I've never heard an instrumental Exotica recording of it. Still, I appreciate the suggestion.

It's interesting that there are very few songs in the short-lived Exotica musical genre of the late 1950s/early 1960s that have Indonesian place names in the song titles. Les Baxter probably had the most, but so much of his music is a bit too cinematically-orchestral for my purposes (not that that is a bad thing; but just not what I'm looking for).

Anyway, thanks Quiet Village Idiot for the suggestions, as well as everyone else.

The search continues.

I'm wondering about any of the surf bands in the early 1960s, too, if there may be some songs relating to Indonesia. I can't see why there would be. But then again, one never knows. Perhaps bigtikidude may know of one or two?

MH

True, but hardly a WAITIKI original if you do a little homework :wink:

On 2009-05-25 04:03, TikiMango wrote:
Going contemporary, Waitiki has a song called Manila on their Charred Mammal Flesh CD.

Might I suggest Johnny Ukulele's "Jungle Song"...? Very nice vintage exotica, seldom heard.

A

Since some of the exotica is too orchestral for your needs, have you considered actual Indonesian music?

On 2009-05-28 10:16, arriano wrote:
Since some of the exotica is too orchestral for your needs, have you considered actual Indonesian music?

Yes. That was the first musical route I considered. It doesn't quite work for what I have in mind. What I'm looking for is vintage Exotica not authentic folk/World music, and preferably slighty jazzy and/or with a light Latin rhythm, if possible. Doesn't have to sound Indonesian, but rather have Indonesian place names/cities in the song titles.

However, if anybody can off hand think of some vintage Exotica music that fits the above description, AND features some quintessential Indonesian instruments/sounds, but does not have an Indonesian city/place name in the song title, I would be very interested in hearing those suggestions, too. Only please -- before making such suggestions (and I do appreciate them!) -- please know what Indonesian instrumentation and Indonesian folk music sounds like. I definitely know I've heard some, and no doubt are by Martin Denny (as Denny was the one -- above any other in the genre -- who used the most exotic and unusual instruments in his music); but cannot recall the titles, melodies, etc.

Looks like I may have to spend hours sifting through and listening to all my Exotica music. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

Looks like I may have to spend hours sifting through and listening to all my Exotica music. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

Oh, the pain...

:wink:

DJTG, Have you reviewed Warren Barker's "Far Away Places"?

I might suggest these tracks:

1 ) Malayan Nightbird

5 ) Lotus Land

7 ) Carnivalito (has a bit of Esquivelle-esque "Doo-Doo-Doo-Doo"-ing, not to my taste, but...?)

8 ) Javanese Valley

10 ) Moonflowers (instrumental here, originally sung by Dorothy Lamour in Hope & Crosby's Road to Bali.)

11 ) Petite

12 ) Mountain High, Valley Low

Hard to know exactly what you're seeking -- (was the Johnny Ukulele's "Jungle Song" suggestion close?) -- to me, "Indonesian folk music" is Gamelan, and I've got a good deal of that, but "Jazzy lite-Latin-flavored Exotica" it ain't.

Say, just what are you up to, anyway...?

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

(edited to get the Number 8 un-emoticoned...)

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-05-28 23:55 ]

On 2009-05-28 23:54, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
DJTG, Have you reviewed Warren Barker's "Far Away Places"?

I might suggest these tracks:

1 ) Malayan Nightbird

5 ) Lotus Land

7 ) Carnivalito (has a bit of Esquivelle-esque "Doo-Doo-Doo-Doo"-ing, not to my taste, but...?)

8 ) Javanese Valley

10 ) Moonflowers (instrumental here, originally sung by Dorothy Lamour in Hope & Crosby's Road to Bali.)

11 ) Petite

12 ) Mountain High, Valley Low

Hard to know exactly what you're seeking -- (was the Johnny Ukulele's "Jungle Song" suggestion close?) -- to me, "Indonesian folk music" is Gamelan, and I've got a good deal of that, but "Jazzy lite-Latin-flavored Exotica" it ain't.

Say, just what are you up to, anyway...?

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

(edited to get the Number 8 un-emoticoned...)

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-05-28 23:55 ]

Warren Barker's 'Far Away Places': I have it, I love it. I already mentioned 'Javanese Valley', which I'm going to use.

What am I up to? Well, my hope is to bring down the whole of Western Civilisation and plunge the ham-faced, vain and arrogant, self-serving, wasteful, overcrowded and useless, loud, uncouth and boorish, oil-guzzling masses of the over-spending spoiled West (especially Southern California) into a vast wasteland of frenzied, governmentally-unsupported anarchy...through the employment of non-authentic Indonesian music.

I'm wondering about any of the surf bands in the early 1960s, too, if there may be some songs relating to Indonesia. I can't see why there would be. But then again, one never knows. Perhaps bigtikidude may know of one or two?

Might be another long shot, but have you investigated the so-called 'Indo-Rock' scene? This was the first wave of rock & roll in the Netherlands in the early 60s and, for some reason, there were a lot of young Indonesian kids involved, hence the name. The music was often Shadows-influenced twangy guitar instrumentals.

Here's a typical example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eth_weFMBFw&feature=related

K

I don't imagine you are familiar with this, but 1960s Dutch steel guitarist (recording out of England) Wout Steenhuis recorded one LP called "Pacific Paradise" that featured a collection of songs, both authentic & written by himself & Indonesian band members) that use Indonesian gamelon based harmonies on steel guitar and small combo numbers....it's really interesting & beautiful. I've never come across another LP quit like it.

On 2009-05-29 14:44, Kaiwaza wrote:
I don't imagine you are familiar with this, but 1960s Dutch steel guitarist (recording out of England) Wout Steenhuis recorded one LP called "Pacific Paradise" that featured a collection of songs, both authentic & written by himself & Indonesian band members) that use Indonesian gamelon based harmonies on steel guitar and small combo numbers....it's really interesting & beautiful. I've never come across another LP quit like it.

Actually, no, I haven't heard Wout Steenhuis' music; but have heard of him. Is there a place where I can? I've had no luck so far (online that is, without downloading an album sharity -- which in my case, having dial-up, will take nigh 8 hours!). Might not fit 'the bill' but still sounds really intriguing.

As far as Quiet Village Idiot's suggestion (that username always cracks me up!) is there a place where one can sample some audio files of Indo-Rock from the 1960s (other than youtube)? 'Course, if the music simply sounds like The Shadows -- whom I love -- and has not Indonesian relevance otherwise (place names, sounds, etc.), there isn't much point in my persuing the genre, other than for mere curiosity and musical knowledge.

I have and listened to Martin Denny's 'American In Bali', and it definitely fits the bill with it's (later) jazziness and Indonesian clanging instrument sounds. Howevever, the song is ultimately very dull. And, though completely relevant to the song title, the Yankee Doodle refrain (which is really a British song and mockery towards the Yanks) is a bit annoying. Funny how a song mocking Americans was later used with pride by Americans -- particularly in Connecticut. 'Doodle' means fool. And 'Dandy' a peacock -- a vain person. History sure is strange, isn't it? Especially when it isn't recongnised for what it is. But I digress.

On 2009-05-29 03:20, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:

Might be another long shot, but have you investigated the so-called 'Indo-Rock' scene? This was the first wave of rock & roll in the Netherlands in the early 60s and, for some reason, there were a lot of young Indonesian kids involved, hence the name. The music was often Shadows-influenced twangy guitar instrumentals.

Here's a typical example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eth_weFMBFw&feature=related

Beautiful! I like it. Boy Jensen & his Rollin' Kids and some of the other Indo-Rock groups of the 1960s don't seem to be available anywhere but on youtube, though, which doesn't help me. One would think there would be a compilation on CD of these songs. Obviously, from the posts, there seems to be quite an interest for the music, if only even nostalgically.

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Jun 1, 2009 9:58 AM

If you're interested in the Indo-rock, check out the Tielman Brothers - both on youtube and on some great Bear Family cds. Not exotica, but maybe inline with the last couple comments in terms of instros. Also the Quests from Singapore - they have some nice instrumentals, including some of Indo (Malaysian?) standards.

-Randy

A

Oh yeah, and in the exotica-pop vein, you might dig around for Sondi Sodsai. Thai beauty queen with an LP produced by Martin Denny.

-Randy

What am I up to? Well, my hope is to bring down the whole of Western Civilisation and plunge the ham-faced, vain and arrogant, self-serving, wasteful, overcrowded and useless, loud, uncouth and boorish, oil-guzzling masses of the over-spending spoiled West (especially Southern California) into a vast wasteland of frenzied, governmentally-unsupported anarchy...through the employment of non-authentic Indonesian music.

Yeah, well, good luck with that.

(And apologies for the oversight whilst trying to help you out.)

(Oh yeah. And Greetings from Sunny Southern California!)

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-06-01 16:33 ]

On 2009-06-01 10:05, aquarj wrote:
Oh yeah, and in the exotica-pop vein, you might dig around for Sondi Sodsai. Thai beauty queen with an LP produced by Martin Denny.

-Randy

Mahalo, Randy. I have the Denny-produced album. Thanks for the other suggestions, too. May not work for what I have in mind but still worth the pursuit and eventual listening. I've often found one gem on an entire album of non-gems that made the journey worth taking.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2009-06-03 10:36 ]

Beautiful! I like it. Boy Jensen & his Rollin' Kids and some of the other Indo-Rock groups of the 1960s don't seem to be available anywhere but on youtube, though, which doesn't help me. One would think there would be a compilation on CD of these songs. Obviously, from the posts, there seems to be quite an interest for the music, if only even nostalgically.

There are definitely CD reissues available in Holland. Although I realise that's not much help to you ....

Pages: 1 28 replies