Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Conga Lounge Oakland Mai Tai Campaign in Full Swing!

Pages: 1 25 replies

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING POST WAS ORIGINALLY STARTED UNDER "TIKI DRINKS"
I don't want to ruffle anyone's garnish by double posting the same topic, but this story is developing into something a bit more significant than simple cocktail chit-chat...

ORIGINAL POST:

As we all know the Mai Tai was invented by Vic Bergeron at the original Trader Vic's on San Pablo Ave in Oakland
http://www.tradervics.com/mai-tai-1.html

WE know that, but too many citizens of Oakland do not know that. This is why MANO THANOS co-founder of THE CONGA LOUNGE in Oakland http://www.congalounge.com/ has been pestering Oakland officials to officially declare the Mai Tai the official cocktail of Oakland. Face it - Oaktown is a thriving community of colorful and creative people, but its image is marred by the constantly reported violence, which is actually limited to a few rough patches in the city. The press makes too big a deal of this aspect at the expense of all the great things this town has to offer. For too long Oakland has suffered in the shadows of its more glitzy and glamorous sister across the Bay. I'm from Jersey so I'm used to being on the wrong side of a body of water. I also know how to defend my turf (though I live in Alameda, "Oakland's Own Hawaii" and home of Forbidden Island http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com/fi/ )

My slogan for years has been OAKLAND: HOME OF THE MAI TAI, NOT JUST THE DRIVE-BY!

The Mai Tai conjures up images of exotic luxury befitting Oakland's neglected positive traits as a town of pleasant climate and diverse demographics. It's a multi-cultural cocktail of a society, and it deserves its recognition as Birthplace of the Mai Tai.

As official PR dude for both FI and Conga, I recently stepped into the official fight and have scheduled a meeting next Wednesday, May 20, with Andre Jones, chief of staff for councilmember Rebecca Kaplan. Mano and his brother Molokai Mike will also be there (at my bayside condo - they'll be mixing the Mai Tais.) This is the first time the city has granted us a face to face to formally discuss this matter.

I will keep you posted on its progress. Aloha and here's to OAKLAND and the CONGA LOUNGE, home of the Oakland Mai Tai Campaign.
Aloha, Will the Thrill

UPDATE!!!! May 21, 2009:

The meeting with Andre yesterday went swimmingly. We all sat out on my deck drinking Molokai Mike's perfectly mixed versions of both the original Mai Tai recipe and the popular Conga Lounge variant. Andre himself is a very cool, laid-back dude who totally "got it." Better yet, his boss, Rebecca Kaplan, who represents Oakland as a whole, also "gets it." He characterized this proposal as a relatively easy sale and didn't anticipate any roadblocks (not like we're declaring Meth the official drug of Oakland, or the Uzi the official weapon....) He completely agrees that the dreamy, relaxing images conjured up by the Mai Tai will promote Oakland's deserved image as a diverse, multi-cultural nexus of All Things Cool. It would also counter all the negative press obsessed only with violence, which is an issue in most urban areas. Mano brought up the Sazerac being declared the official cocktail of another cosmopolitan but maligned exotic US city, New Orleans
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91912549
and we all concurred Oakland is in need of a similar, national PR boost. I also hoped out loud that Rachel Maddow, a former Bay Area resident and noted cocktail aficionado, may even mention this on her TV and radio programs (maybe in the Cocktail Moment segment.) I also indicated that having the first US President from Hawaii now in office can't hurt this cause, either.
Jen (DangerGirl) has already submitted an officially written proposal to Andre, so the high ball is definitely rolling. Once a date is set for the declaration, we'll bring out the big media guns. So to speak. Stay tuned...

Mano, Molokai Mike and Andre

Mano, Andre and Will the Thrill

[ Edited by: AquaZombie 2009-05-21 13:11 ]

i

Wonderful update on the progress of this proposal. How exciting...the Mai Tai hits primetime in the big city. Great work everyone!!!

O
Otto posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 10:59 PM

Go Mano and Will!!!
Get the Mai Tai original recipe published so bars (I won't mention any names like Kona!?!?) can serve a real Mai Tai!!

UPDATE
June 9, 2009

Excerpts from email from chief of staff Andre Jones in response to query re update on status of campaign:

"Councilmember Kaplan is on board with moving this forward but we need to hold off until the city's budget is resolved at the end of the month....As soon as that is done this will move to the top of my to do list folllowing the 4th of July."

Stay tuned, this WILL happen! aloha, Will the Thrill

This is pretty cool, look forward to seeing this happen!

PS- What's the Conga Lounge version of a Mai Tai?

On 2009-06-10 10:15, Wayfarer wrote:

Conga builds on the original by adding Trader Vics Amber Rum, cherry brandy, splash of Pineapple and a dark rum float.

Can you contact the food service providers at the stadium and the arena to get them on board, too?

Members of the Raidernation and Warriorfans need MaiTais at the games considering how poorly their teams perform!

H

On 2009-06-10 16:13, Molokai Mike wrote:

On 2009-06-10 10:15, Wayfarer wrote:

Conga builds on the original by adding Trader Vics Amber Rum, cherry brandy, splash of Pineapple and a dark rum float.

So if I go to the Conga Lounge and ask for a Mai Tai, would I get a Mai Tai? or the drink described above?

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.