Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Bad Tiki Gifts

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

Did not receive as gift but I bet some did get this from "outsiders" who just don't "get it".

Image courtesy of Sven Kirsten from some other social media webpage.

[ Edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2018-01-01 13:54 ]

That is truly bad...

BB

The first year after I discovered tiki and had started carving my parents thought the ideal birthday present would of course be a Party City plastic shot glass on a chain and a set of plastic tiki goblets. Out of respect, the shot glass hangs from my mug shelf, but the goblets are hidden away in a corner of the kitchen, hopefully never to be used again.

On 2018-01-01 13:38, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Did not receive as gift but I bet some did get this from "outsiders" who just don't "get it".

Image courtesy of Sven Kirsten from some other social media webpage.

[ Edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2018-01-01 13:54 ]

I got the Giants version of this which is even more depressing due to the Giants horrible record this year! But in all seriousness it was a gift from my son's girlfriend who tried so hard and is such a sweetheart that it makes me love it. And my husband, who's not that into tiki is a big sports fan so it will get displayed. Her other gift was a homerun. It's a tin tub for drinks or whatever and she got "Life is Good" in both english and the Hawaiian translation engraved on it which is on our tiki hut (in Hawaiian - ola maika'i). LOVE!

I just received a really cool generic “Tiki Bar Open” sign from my mom for Christmas. The quality is really nice, but I’m not totally sure how to fit it into my home set up. My bar is heavily influenced by Disney’s Tiki Room/Trader Sam’s as well as all of the modern Poly Pop revival bars.. so I think this could work. I’m cool with doing my own style.. but I don’t want it to be egregious if I get other tiki nerds over. Any thoughts or ideas?

The actual design:

How I was thinking of framing it:

[ Edited by: DriftwoodDrew 2018-01-10 07:52 ]

I read these posts with great interest. I myself received a "tiki fountain" a few years ago from my Mom, and will find it and post a pic soon. Nope, I can't display it, and she's long forgotten about it.

DriftwoodDrew, I like your idea, I think you can "rescue" that sign by adding some real tiki things to it. You may need to add some up- or down-lighting.

Thanks! I’m dimming it a little too so it’s not overly distracting. This thread is pretty entertaining to read.. definitely some funny stuff.

On 2018-01-10 04:21, DriftwoodDrew wrote:

[ Edited by: DriftwoodDrew 2018-01-10 07:52 ]

DD, that’s a cool sign. I have a neon Open sign that I placed at the far end of my tiki space. I turn it on when I am expecting guests or using the bar. I like the glow it gives the room, the sign serves a function and because it’s not the focal point it does not divert attention from the rest of my stuff cuz the sign is just for background and lighting. Again. you got yourself a very nice sign.
Cheers

Pages: 1 2 56 replies