Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Fender Guitar carve - finished 10-24-10

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies

Aloha to all!!! It's been a bit busy around here with the honey do list,Surfin,workin,Surfin and dodgin rain every day, but I have been lucky to get a few days of carvin in (Slow as I am at carvin "probably the SLOWEST carver in the world"that would Be me)I'm amazed at how you Aweasome Carvers out there in Tiki Central Land are and as Fast at carving you all are!!!Thanks for lettin me hang out here with you all!
Laojia, Mahalo for the nice words, I know the Surf scene is a bit crazy and it's drivin me crazy(in a Good way)because it's demanding of me to get the depth of it the way I think it should look!
Seeks,Thanks my friend,Hope your gettin some Surf!!It's bee fun all week here(todaychest high and glass Except I'm at work today)
TheBigT, Thank you for the kind words my friend.Just havin some Fun with these last carves and not pressed for time (oh and I'm Amazingly SLOW at carvin)Have some fun and slay some wood!!!
Aloha Station, Hey Tom Mahalo for the drive by and oh to kind words.this weekend Surf 3-4ft!Surfed over a 5ft SHARK yesterday pretty Cool to watch him swim!!!
Benzart,Mahalo my friend and thanks for the time and insight!!!! Those Tusks R Bitchin!!! You never cease to amaze me with what you come up with next!!!
Well here's the up date on the Mask!Been workin it deeper and deeper to get it where I want it and that it looks closer to real lookin and I'm almost there!! Hope ya like!!!
This Tiki is a Surfin tiki and he love to Surf and thinks about it all the time(It's sort of in his Head"Headress")

Side shot gettin more depth!

I was trying to get the whole Mouth to look like a Big spitting Barreling Wave!!!

Well I hope ya like em have a Great weekend to all,Aloha your friend, Mooney

Super styling, Mooney!

We're traveling the same wave, my friend... check out my thread!

I just finished a surf inspired tiki this morning!

Love this guy you've got going, and jealous of all the choice palm you get down there!

B

WOW excellent stuff my friend. The "wavy" mouth looks perfect.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

The mouth looks just like a wave....Sweeeeeet!

Lake glad you like it I'm always inspired with the surf influence ever since I started carving , I started him about 3weeks ago and carved the mouth a few weeks ago to look like a wave! as I stated I'm a little slow at carving, glad you liked it!
benella,Mahalo for the nic words,nice carve you gt started over there keep it up!
Tikilizard,Thanks for the comp my friend! Was hopin it looked like a wave!

This pic is of me just startin the detail on the waves and trees and holdin the log with my fred flintstone feet!ha ha take care all, Aloha, Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2009-09-12 04:17 ]

N

I love the palm trees on the forehead

Aloha to all!!1
nomolos, thanks for the nice words.

I got the finished shots of our kitchen bar and top.3weeks to wood burn it and 7 coats of clear. Mahalo for lookin,Aloha, Mooney

1st shot of entire bar. the top is 4ft by 7ft long.

this shot is starting on the right of bar top. palm trees,the edge of the wave and an Island in the backround.

next shot right middle,more of the wave and backround with palm trees.

this shot is the middle of the bar,with the trees,wave breaking and backround.

left side of bar top.

and finally the overview of the bar top.(hard to see that's why I broke it up with previous shots.

I hope ya liked it.We have already had a couple parties on it!Aloha to all and Mahalo for stoppin by, Mooney

B

No, I Hate it, Wasn't invited to the parties. :(
Just kidding, Love that Bar/Island Haven't seen that yet, Nice job. And the Surfer tiki looks Excellent too.
C'mon Over!

S

The surf head is outstanding! Love your flow! The wave mouth and beach hair crazy
cool mix my friend.

Wow your flat 2-d work takes my breath away. That table is to die for!

Been a killer summer surf time. Must have lost 15lbs thus far. Winter it all comes back.

L

Love the way the trunks on those plams came out. Great work!

Aloha to all!
Benzart,well have you and sherry over for the November Luau at our little beach shack! Thanks for the kind words on my hack of a carv, just tryin to make something fun for the house.
Seeks-Mahalo seeks and glad you've got some surf! You don't have to die for a table just come on down to the warm water here and we'll go get a surf!I've got a few boards!!
leleliz- Mahalo for the very nice words. I'm just tryin to have some fun and make a few things for the house,Thanks for stoppin in.
To all that did a drive by Mahalo for lookin and hope all is well in you neck of the woods where ever it may be!!!

Well I fainlly cut the back off last night and I carved through the headress and under the nose area!I still have to hollow it all out some more Hopefully this weekend!
1st shot front you can see through the headress and what I'm gonna do is put a RED led behind that area to make it look like a sunset and the eyes will be opened as well as the Nose nostrils with the Red light. The Tounge will be opened a little and a BLUE Led light placed in that area to give it a Blue Wave tone.I hope I can make it work out.It should be Fun tryin!Anyhow front shot

side shot

other side of tiki

closeup of left side beach scene you can see the open space inside the wave.

Have a great weekend, Aloha, Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2009-09-16 12:07 ]

T

Man, another awesome carve. I love the smooth flow on this design. Your palm trees are killer, the depth that you get. Awesome!

killer stuff Mooney,luv the mask and the bar top!
Cheers Watango

Awesome!!! Now let's get back to the guitar!!! ha

S

Very cool! Great carve, great execution and surf story line 2 boot.

K
Kino posted on Wed, Sep 16, 2009 11:30 PM

Very nice detail on the new tiki ,and those teeth, you should be a dentist.
Your bar top is....., WOW !

T

I'm impressed by the level of details you are able to carve in palm... amazing work.

B

YA, Jimmy, This tiki is looking Badder and Badder as the days go by. Can't wait to see him again!

C

cool bar top, nice job!

Beautiful stuff goin' on here, Jimmy! Aloha, fB

Big T- I'm just lucky it all seemed to flow together!Mahalo for the kind words!
Watango Productions--Thanks my friend!
Surfintiki-- Guitar completion soon been keepin it on the low. Hope your gettin some surf up there or SUP-ing gettin lots of SUP-ing here and ordered a 10'6" Quad (Ricky Carroll Custom)SUP and got to watch it being shaped last week.
Seeks--Mahalo for the kind words and hope your getting some Surf as well!
Kino--Ah the Teeth,I'm NO dentist but I have to take the chisels and Break a few more teeth! (Tiki Story line )This tiki Surf a NASTY REEF and has left much Enamel on the Reef ans has the scars to show it!Mahalo for the kind words my friend
Tahitiki--Congrats on the Baby!!! Well the detail on palm works when the wood is still wet. To dry the wood Blows apart with the chisels,but I get lucky from time to time.Thanks for the very kind words
Ben--Mahalo for everything.
Clarita--Mahalo for the nice words and thanks for takin the time to stop by.
FreddieB--- Thanks freddie, Hope summer hands in for a bit more for you.

Mahalo to all your all to very kind and I am very humbled by so many Talented Artists who stop by,

Tryin to post a video of my son (4yr old )carvin and will post as soon as I figure it out, so here's a quick custom for a friend that I has some Pyro fun with!

don't hav a picture after I stained the tiki and my son wanted to see it burn so I lit the mouth again and the Stain went up pretty good!My son thought it was pretty funny ,but I had to grab the hose pretty quick! another funny moment here darn near needed my Firefighting equipment to douse this tiki!:lol:

Ha! Classic! That photo would of looked KILLER if ya took it at night. Man, that looks good.
I actually blew off surfing today, to get some carving stuff going.
I used to know Ricky back in the day. He played drums for the Haoles in the 80's.
Aloha mr Mooney!

B

HOT Stuff there Mooney, were you planning on adding THAT Much color??
:o :lol: :D

What a great pic! Should try that again at night. That would be hot...hot....hot!

Flame-engulfed tiki, good stuff. Carving with your son, great stuff!

Aloha to all that stopped by or did a Drive by!

Surfintiki,Your right a Night time shot would hav been sweet!!!

Ben,ya know that I love alot of color and that flames are hard to paint so I went with the real thing! Lol

Tikilizard, I'll try it at night next time! That way the neibors will see the fire and call my friends at the fire dept!!! lol

TikiMango, Mahalo, still tryin to get the video of my son down loaded!

Mahalo to all for the very kind words! You are all way to kind and you all are so talented artists and I am truly fortunate to be hangin out with you all!!!!

Here are a few shots of the color going on the headress of the surf Tiki. I'll post the finish shots in a couple days!

Close up of the color going on the wave area.

Mahalo to all for stoppin by!!!

T

Neat. That painting looks like fun!

Aloha to all!!!

TheBigT, mahalo for stoppin in my friend.
Thanks to all for stoppin by your all very kind.

Well the mask is all finished just have to put the back on it, so here are some pics. Some in low light to show you the lighting I've put inside the tiki so it POPs at Night and show a little more depth to the carving and the other pics with full flash to show how pretty the coconut grain is with the color added. Hope ya like,
Left side flash of surf scene.

Right side flash of surf scene.

NO Flash of right sied full. hope you can see the glow in the headress,nose nostrils and the tounge areas

left side NO flash glow in same areas.

close up left side No flash. I think the light makes the Wave Barrell sort of come alive.

Mahalo to all that stopped by I had FUN carvin this guy and thanks again for so many nice words in the past, Aloha, Mooney

Oh My God!! That's CRAZY! You wired little LED'S?? They look like little magical jungle scenes, you wanna climb right in there (and get barreled!). WTF...Too cool.
What type of paint didja use?
Cool Cool Cool.

C

Another paint splasher....and a great job at that!
Nice colors and carve on the headdress Mooney. Unique concept and
expertly executed. Mooney rocks!

That looks awesome bra!

This piece is great, TM. The paint is spectacular and really sets this piece apart.. Beautiful. I sent a pm to get more info on this guy. Take care, freddie.

B

The lights are perfect on this beauty.

Well done Mooney, what's next ? :wink:

benjamin.

B

I have seen this piece with my own eyes and the photo does not Begin to show the true beauty of this guy. Really well done Jimmmy.

T

This is really a neat carve buddy, love the palms and the wave!!!

S

Outstanding! you keep hitting my soft spot surf, palm, beach etc.
Way to go love it.

Mahalo to all for the Nice words! Much appreciated.
I've got a few comm going so a bit busy now, but here is a mask with lights as well (3 lights). He was pretty stoked expecially when we turned out the lights and I lit it up! I hollowed thur the 2 waves on the headress,the nostrils and a big opening in the mouth, and each area has it's own light lighting it up. I always get a bigger kick out of a carving when I see someone else so stoked and happy!To me thats what it's all about making someone elses day.
Here are a few pics.

Mahalo to all for stopping by. Have a Great day, Aloha, Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2009-11-13 13:13 ]

Another great and creative tiki. Did you use different colored light on this one too?

awesome work keep it up

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 21, 2009 1:19 PM

Dang Mooney....Does Benno have you using mind bending drugz? Where did that H-doo come from? Forget it, I'm scared to know the truth. I'll go bacK to my Kave now.

Sorry it's been a bit since I posted but the holidays kicked my butt a bit on the time end.
GMAN, Come out of your Kave my friend and no mind bending junk here just a Bent Mind on my part! LOL!!!

Tiki Mango, Thanks for the kind words much appreciated, and I did use 2 lights on this one,red and blue and it looks really cool in my friends tiki bar.
Marcus, Mahalo for the nice words and thanks for stoppn by.

Well to all my friends out there HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you all and may you all be safe and happy!! Here is our christmas card to you all!!!! Aloha, Mooney

T

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you buddy.

T

Great card. Look a the kids hanging off the surfboard. :lol: Merry Christmas!

B

HEy MOONEY, Merry Christmas to you and your Family too, Love the photo and your little carver, Ryan's feet dangling are cool.
Don't forget you gotta bring Ryan over to the shop for his present.

Thanx Moon! Enjoy that warm surf would ya?!!

Mele Malikimaka to you and the family, Jimmy!

Surf looks so inviting, you may just find me on your doorstep some morning! :)

S

HAPPY HOLIDAYS back @ you.

Man i would be all over that 10'er

I thought I'd share some art on our Ricky Carroll Standup Board seein hows it's a bit of TIKI in it! Hope ya like. Mahalo for stoppin by will post art work that I hav finished and new Tiki umbrella hut I'm building one of these days and the Fender Guitar as well.

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies