Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Mystery Log- Painted!! No Taboo!!! pg2

Pages: 1 33 replies

CA

Ok... so i got a bit of the 'log envy' do to the likes of that HaiKia fellow cutting down the Black Forest.......

Here's another Bird Brain idea

...and,boy, are my arms tired...

i've never removed so much wood before....

say cheeeeeze!

Poly want a cracker??

so these things don't look so big on the ground

... but get them erect??

this was a white knuckle ride... not exactly the forklift needed.
but it always seems to work... knock on wood

[ Edited by: crazy al 2009-06-11 19:19 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2009-06-23 23:45 ]

your Crazy Al,
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

L

You look so tiny standing on top of that log--like a mini Al!

I know what this is gonna be!

B

WOW, can't wait to see next update !

Benjamin.

B

Awesome lookin log there C'Al, What you making with it. Looks like a Pelican sliding off the post But that Can't be right?

Yeah and yer butt's gonna be tired when you fall off the perch up that high.

The right man with the right tools... TIKI CARVER FOR HIRE!

S

Sick log Al. Keep up updated on this sucker.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 8:44 AM

you might need a bigger saw?

Can you get one of these two man V8 jobbies?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 10:12 AM

Damn Al, you are sporting some major wood there buddy!

B

I can't wait to see what your crazy self has up your sleeve!!

Is that your AirFloat Trailer in the background Al? That 20 footer is a very rare trailer....traveling at it's best right there.

CA

well... there is a long story to this log....... here it goes......
it's not all that tiki... but it started tiki.

the log is a commission for my old friend Bobby Green. Who commissioned Tiki#80 for his bar 'The Lucky Tiki'
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_80.html
Who also, being "pre-TikiNews Tiki", or pre 1995 Tiki, owned the Cacao Coffee Shop all decorated Tiki! in Santa Monica....
He knew his next step was a Bar!! but as 'Tiki' was getting so popular, and LA had the Tiki Ti... why open a Tiki Bar in LA??? He had a grand idea!!! that, like Sven's Book of Tiki, took four or so years to shop around till it happened. And boy did it... with the help of two partners... 'The Big Foot Lodge' was voted best new LA Bar it's first year out!! and has been packed ten years running!!!
http://www.bigfootlodge.com/

Ten years ago Bobby asked me to cave these into existing support posts... since I could carve...

these led to this... another success, the 'Big Foot Lodge San Francisco'...
this guy on the Right is like 11 ft and carved out of foam with a wood finish.....

i did two faux bear heads for that bar also........

that led to these guys

fixed to spew smoke...

as an air horn sounds in Bobby's sixth successful bar 'Stinkers Truck Stop!! down Sunset Blvd. from Tiki Ti
http://www.myspace.com/stinkersbar

this asinine idea led to this hairy bit of nonsense

lit right, it looks pretty bad ass

however, deemed to cute of the new "Big Foot Lodge West", coming soon!!
Hairy has been scraped for this bit o work.....

my knees locked up in that second photo... sucks getting old and knowing what death is....

The Inuit of the north woods do have a Big Foot like creature in their stories:
Dzoonokwa
Sunken, hallow eyes under a heavy brow, bony face with a strong hooked nose and hallow cheeks, lips pushed forward to focus her tremulous cry and long straggling hair - these are some of the distinguishing features of the Dzoonokwa, fearsome giant of Kwaguilth mythology. Dzoonokwa is a terrifying giant forest monster. Usually female, this hairy, dark skinned and sagging breasted ogress was said to have stolen children who strayed too far from home, and who is sometimes described as a flesh eater.

A common figure throughout the myths of the pacific coast, Dzoonokwa masks were an important symbol of status which nouveaux riche families could buy the right to carve and wear in dances: a much sought privilege, which for most other masks could only be inherited by birthright. She can also be the benefactor of immense power and wealth.

The Dzoonokwa corresponds to the legendary Bigfoot or Sasquatch of the southern coast; Known by its Salish Indian name meaning "hairy man." Allegedly sighted for centuries, descriptions vary from being a creature at least eight feet tall, long powerful arms, thick hair and a foul smell, to being a semi-clothed, tool carrying hominid supposedly of "man" height.
Another names by which Big Foot is known, depending on the North American region, are Arulataq (Alaska), Grassman (Ohio), Momo (Missouri), Oh-mah (California), Old Yellow Top (Ontario), Skunk Ape (Florida), Windigo (Quebec), Woods Devil (New Hampshire), Wookie (Louisiana), Nuk-luk, Nakani (North West Territories) or simply Bushman.

anyway.....my Bigfoot is no pendulum breasted man eater... Bobby found these guys to be Man beast'ish

they turned out to be wolves i think....

which works out...
Of all the animals, to the Inuit, Wolves have the strongest supernatural powers. They are the most proficient hunters of land animals and were greatly respected for their cleverness. Wolf is the land manifestation of the Killer Whale...
So Big Foot is a whale of a human! Ok, it's a stretch, but it makes for good carving

here is Bobby...

and his two partners...

the raven or crow comes in here... Bobby also builds race cars and hold the world's record for his 4 cilindar Belly-tanker at Bonneville, the "Old Crow"
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289292

Big Foot's best friend the Raven:

The Raven is the transformer, trickster and creator. Known in legends as the one who released the sun, moon, and stars; discovered man in a clamshell; brought the salmon and the water; and taught man how to fish and hunt.
Raven in Kwaguilth culture is known as the sky messenger of the animal kingdom. The Raven is famous for being a somewhat mischievous glutton. He was always out to please himself and have a good time, but his adventures always ended up bettering mankind.

i bit o finish and paint to go...... should i move this post out of tiki carving??

[ Edited by: crazy al 2009-06-11 19:35 ]

P

i really wish you'd wear shoes when you use the chain saw. you're teaching the kids bad techniques.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 11, 2009 7:38 PM

On 2009-06-11 19:17, crazy al wrote:
...... should i move this post out of tiki carving??

NOOOOOO! Okay, it's Pacific Northwest, but I think most carvers are into in this style anyway - I know I am. It's cool to see those critters you did too.
Aside from the insanely good sculptural chops (hurry up and finish that knot-eye!) I'm always really impressed with the way you carefully research your pieces and tie them in with your client's life and history. It makes for a great read compared to just a bunch of progress pics on their own...

L

so bad ass Al!

I personally think the skunk butts are awesome too :wink:

S

Al your off the scale! Great read and Great carve!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jun 12, 2009 4:50 PM

Al,

I am a HUGE saquatch fan....and I love the stuff you just showed us. That Yeti is too much! I would kill for something like that. The new carving is very, very neat. I imagine that will capture the attention of tens of thousands of people over the next buncha years. He is very lucky to have you as a friend. You are very lucky to be as talented as you are.

-G

I don't comment, cuz your just TOO DAMN AWESOME!

T

Although not tiki a very carve so far. I am a big fan of crazy al stuff, even if it is not tiki. I just remembered the spongebob carving from your homepage.

Tell me where to buy this cool cut protection suit? Please be careful with the chainsaw.

L

You're not called "Crazy Al" for nothing!! :lol:

Seriouly: very great pole carving! I like the Dzoonokwa expression and raven head! Can't wait to see him finished...
Can you post some close up pics of the raven's wings?

And thank you for the story telling, I like people who seek to understand what they sculpts!

J.

YAY fer Bigfoots!
and YAY fer Crazy Al!

CA

check out what the sunset can do to a piece of tin! Coop eat your heart out....

Holy Wendigo!

Awesome...pure Awesomeness!

Great paint job
Authentically Al!

With your grasp of a full spectrum
of tribal styles and knowledge
no wonder they named "AL"aska after you!

too friggin RAD!

i want one!

CJ

beautiful!

What a stunner! I love the paint design on the wings.

T

Even though it's not tiki, its still coolness.

Love the stain and paint!!! It already looks old!

Wow! You continue to amaze!!

T

oh man! There aren't enough adjectives to describe this! Really, really incredible! Glad u posted these. :)

S

Sick Al Sick! What a masterpiece. I love the face in the hands classic NW and
the eyes in the paint job on the raven.

FANTASTIC job al! That was a monster of a carve!!!!! I'm especially impressed with the raven wings - that took some forsight!

So when's it going to be installed? and when can we go visit it in it's new home?

T

Al - that's fantastic stuff! Your totem carving looks very true to form. I'm no expert in anything, but I just got back from Alaska - and they look pretty authentic to me.

The skunk butts are really neat too. Must be hilarious when those go off!

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Greg

B

Oh, Man, Al, this is just plain (put in whatever words begin to describe this guy)so now you Really have something to Crow about. Hey, Didn't you just start this guy 2 days ago? Who helped you do it? Ah that OTHER Ben, I see now.. :o :P :D
Oh yeah that's not tiki but I won't say nuthinnnnnnn'

CA

hey Ben, you got me... i had a friend help out that needed the work...... took a day or two to sand off the chain saw marks, he installed the wings for me too... glad i was absent for all the sanding

Pages: 1 33 replies