Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Glass Stoppered Bottles

Pages: 1 3 replies

I am setting up a separate (non-Tiki) bar in my dining room for drinks made with gin, scotch, bourbon, whiskey or vodka and tonic/collins/club soda, etc. I was looking for information on storing liquor in decorative glass bottles, specifically in regards to the stoppers, but couldn't find anything. I have some new bottles with matching glass stoppers, but wonder if those stoppers should only be used short term (to avoid evaporation....if it occurs)? I do have some new glass stoppers that have rubber edging for a tight fit and wonder if those would be best to use?

While I was Googling this subject, I did find this great site for some history on American glass liquor bottles (mostly related to rye, gin, brandy, whiskey)...not Tiki, but interesting American history.
http://www.sha.org/bottle/liquor.htm

If any of your decorative bottles or decanters are leaded glass crystal, don't keep wine or liquor stored in them, long term. Dangerous amounts of lead can leach out into the booze. If you have any leaded glass containers, pour them full when entertaining, then return the unused part back into the original bottle, for storage.
Regular glass decanters, of course, are fine for long term use. Evaporation shouldn't be a problem with glass-stoppered bottles, where the glass has been ground for a precise fit, or if the stopper has a rubber or plastic seal - at least at normal room temperatures. If the stopper is very loose, and not fitted, the bottle was probably cheaply made, and intended for display, or short-term use, not long-term storage.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-06-08 10:30 ]

Thanks so much, great information. Didn't think about leaded crystal, so will have to do some research on the bottles as they are not marked. Good idea then to only use for the entertaining event. :) MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

Evaporation doesn't seem to be much of a problem if you drink quickly. My suggestion would be if you're worried about evaporation it's time for a party. Lots of people drinking together is a great way to combat evaporation.

Pages: 1 3 replies