Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Hibiscus Flowers

Pages: 1 10 replies

GT

I have for 4 years tried to perfect a cool hibiscus flower, Finally this summer, I grew some cool flowers, I know my friend Jeff ( gonegoannas ) Grows some very cool hibiscus! Here is a picture, Share your pictures here:

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2009-06-07 14:28 ]

I can't seen to get more than a couple flowers at a time, and the plant never looks too healthy.
It's funny, because I see hedges in strip mall parking lots that are hibicus, and they are thick green and full of blooms!

I live 100 feet from hell and the heat can be pretty intense. Plants here struggle just to grow leaves, let alone flowers. I help them out by attaching silk flowers to the real plant stems and change them out about once a year. Thank God for Michael's and 40% off coupons :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GT

Hey Mike, I bet Jeff (gonegoannas ) Can set you up with a hibiscus for indoors maybe? i think he might know, Mahalo! My friend! Gogo

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2009-06-13 20:48 ]

H

Q

Hi
That blue hibiscus flower was so cute and beautiful and this white color hibiscus grew in my garden ....
Hows this ???

[ Edited by: Quenby44 2010-04-05 19:30 ]

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - spam link removed - 2010-04-05 19:37 ]

TK

my dad grew the blue one. it was a partial shade plant. always looked stragglely when it was in the sun.

On 2009-06-13 16:55, MadDogMike wrote:
I live 100 feet from hell and the heat can be pretty intense. Plants here struggle just to grow leaves, let alone flowers. I help them out by attaching silk flowers to the real plant stems and change them out about once a year. Thank God for Michael's and 40% off coupons :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here it is in all it's glory, the Michael's Silk Hybrid.

A silk hibiscus is "grafted" onto common hibiscus rootstock. Blooms beautifully year 'round. This year they are orange :)

TK

damn. better living thru technology. the real winter we had really really REALLY hurt my red double hibiscus.

Nice.

T

Okay, I'm spoiled where I live because the things grow like weeds here. Push a cutting into the ground and it will probably strike and go on to flower. However if you live in the colder climates there are hibiscus varieties that will survive and pass. Try the ROSE MALLOW (Hibiscus moscheutos). Of course the colour choices are not as various as the tropical varieties, but the flower is very similar and unless you reside in REALLY artic conditions, it will get through the winter. It will of course lose its leaves but come back again when it warms up.

Here's one of my larger tropical ones called "Tequila Sunrise".

AAAAHIBISCUS

[ Edited by TIKIGIKI on 2022-09-11 21:17:31 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies