Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Ice cream from heaven at a store near you!

Pages: 1 12 replies

P

Let's get to some food posts again!
Booze is great, but we all have to take some solid nourishment sometimes!
My first food find of the month....
Haggan Daz Reserve toasted sesame coconut brittle!
Not too sweet, Very refined crunch,lots of sesame coconut flavour, with just a hint of ginger...
try it over fresh mango or bananananana bread..or (ok,back to booze)...with a drizzle of dark rum !

A

Sounds like a pretty tasty flavor.

Speaking of ice cream -- Is there anyone here who makes their own? And if so, has anyone tried making tiki cocktail ice cream flavors? Mai Tai, Blue Hawaiian, Coco Loco etc. etc. I was thinking of experimenting this summer.

funny this should come up, as I just got the ice cream maker attachment for my kitchen aid in the mail today, and have been plotting out various pineapple, coconut and ginger ice cream flavors. Any one got any success stories they'd care to share?

P

OOOOHHH!
What about a Soho lychee-ginger sorbet?
I'm drooling!

I'm eating Candied Bacon Ice Cream right now :D

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31854&forum=13&start=15&28
(The "I Love Bacon" thread in the Bilge area)

EDIT - arriano, I am working on a Mai Tai sundae for the Hodaddy Lagoon Chop this month in San Diego. I'm not much of a drinker and I've never had a Mai Tai so I'm kinda shooting in the dark :lol: As I understand, the main flavors are orange, almond, lime, and rum. I'm thinking orange sherbet, orgeat, lime syrup, rum syrup with mint leaves & maraschino cherries for a garnish. Just put out bottles of the syrups, people can decide their own proportions What do you think?

We can live beside the ocean
Leave the fire behind
Swim out past the breakers
And watch the world die.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-06-10 20:55 ]

P

MMMM, sounds good MDM,
here's what I would add, in a perfect world..but you would need a creme brulee torch..slice up some fresh pineapple, sprinkle on some fine sugar, and caramelize it with the flames of Pele!

On 2009-06-10 20:42, MadDogMike wrote:
As I understand, the main flavors are orange, almond, lime, and rum. I'm thinking orange sherbet, orgeat, lime syrup, rum syrup with mint leaves & maraschino cherries for a garnish. Just put out bottles of the syrups, people can decide their own proportions What do you think?

Being a Mai Tai fanatic, I would not be interested in anything called "Mai Tai" that had orange in it. Also, a Mai Tai is somewhat of a challenge to make right in the first place (until it becomes second nature), so anything as haphazard as allowing people to screw around with their own flavoring probably should not have Mai Tai in its name.

The dessert you are suggesting and the mix-and-match syrups sounds good. It just should go by a name that doesn't mislead anyone into thinking its supposed to be a reflection of a Mai Tai.

Why don't you call it a 'îlio hehena? (dog raving mad) *

*used my Hawaiian dictionary for that one, so it might not really make sense.

NOTE: the TC system keeps changing the "i" with the macron (straight line) over it into an "i" with a circumflex (inverted v) over it.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2009-06-11 08:33 ]

*...so anything as haphazard as allowing people to screw around with their own flavoring...

That's the fun part, the challenge - each person uses the raw ingredients and make a dessert that somehow taste like a Mai Tai. Besides, it absolves me of all blame if THEY add their own flavoring :lol:

I do like that 'îlio hehena, has a nice ring to it.

A

EDIT - arriano, I am working on a Mai Tai sundae for the Hodaddy Lagoon Chop this month in San Diego. I'm not much of a drinker and I've never had a Mai Tai so I'm kinda shooting in the dark :lol: As I understand, the main flavors are orange, almond, lime, and rum. I'm thinking orange sherbet, orgeat, lime syrup, rum syrup with mint leaves & maraschino cherries for a garnish. Just put out bottles of the syrups, people can decide their own proportions What do you think?

That's an interesting idea. I had more pictured using ingredients that tasted similar to a mai tai in the final product, rather than your idea of using syrups as additional toppings. I'd be interested in how it comes out. Once the weather warms up a bit, I'll break out the ice cream maker and see what I come up with.

[ Edited by: arriano 2009-06-11 11:06 ]

One of my favourite ice cream flavours made by a freind is Melon and Balsamic vineger, it may sound strange but tastes delicious.

How about a Painkiller Sundae? Pineapple sherbet, coconut syrup, marmalade/rum sauce and nutmeg? :D

Sounding good!

TK

somebody get MDM into a well stocked kitchen.

Pages: 1 12 replies