Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Chinese Ribs

Pages: 1 2 replies

I had seen precooked Chinese Ribs at Costco, but nothing that you like seems to stay at Costco. I wanted to make some ribs that tasted like the red Chinese BBQ pork. I took some pork ribs and had the butcher saw the in half to make short, appetizer ribs. I rubbed them with Chinese Five Spice and some red gel food coloring (optional - be sure to wear rubber gloves) and let them set in the fridge for a couple days. Then I smoked them in a smoker. During the last 30 minutes, I reduced the heat and brushed them with Char Siu (Chinese BBQ) Sauce to glaze them. Turned out really good.

I like smoking ribs (smoked pork is the food of the gods) but I'm sure this would work well with whatever method of rib cooking you prefer. Other than smoking, seems to me the most successful method is to partially cook them in the oven or broiler then finish them on the grill. The Char Siu sauce has a high sugar content, so don't put it on too soon or it will burn

I've enjoyed success with Chinese Ribs by using one of the following:
NOH's "Chinese Barbecue Char Siu" seasoning mix
or
Por Kwan "Roast Red Powder Seasoning Mix" (Char Sieu Powder)

You can use these powders alone or in addition to your favorite Chinese barbeque seasonings.

I also try to get good quality baby back ribs, peel the back membrane off and cook them "Low & Slow" on a rack over a pan of water and then finish them off under the broiler or on the grill. I do the same for pork tenderloin "Pork Strips".

TWO

smoked pork is the food of the gods

Aint that the truth? You guys are makin' me hungry. Now I'm on a quest to dig out my ribs cookbook.

Pages: 1 2 replies