Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

When you buy in bulk, it's cheaper!

Pages: 1 7 replies

4x Mauna Loa rum barrels in one shot... from estate sale

17x Orchid's of Hawaii BL25B Swag Lamp... from restaurant/lounge closing

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2009-06-14 20:03 ]

T

Sure don't leave any tiki in your wake. Michigan's citizens are hurtin for tiki! Good Find Chap

what great lamps !!!! good score

nice....now you can open your own bar!!.....yer gonna make a fortune on ebay with all this.....the recession is officially over for you my friend....nice work!

I can't even imagine how you must of felt walking away with all those treasures. Please, please let us know if you plan on selling anytime soon.

Great score and thanks for posting the pictures, a little more detail on the sale and story would be great!

PTD

M

Between you and Uncle Trav the rest of us don't have a chance in Mi.EXCELLENT finds! Can I go hunting with you.

On 2009-06-15 05:51, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Please, please let us know if you plan on selling anytime soon.

a little more detail on the sale and story would be great!

I actually found these last year and I've sold a few already... and I'm most certainly entertaining offers. part of me would like to trade for other OoH lamps, but I do need to raise some cash here soon...

The rum barrels were found at an estate sale ON MY STREET about 7 or 8 houses down. My wife found them.

The lamps are a longer and much more fun story. There was an elaborate Chinese restaurant that opened in 1979 or 80 on my side of town. Chinese lanterns everywhere, dioramas of the great wall, over-the-top decor. They had several rooms, one with a stage, a few for private events, and a HUGE lounge with a horseshoe shaped bar and enough booths that they needed 17 lamps. I used to go there every few months in hopes of talking the owners into selling the lamps to me... the lounge was always closed off with the lights out. I took a few pics back then and posted them here:

Anyway, the place closed back in 2006 I think. I called the realtor to see if I could do some bargaining, but he never got back with me after the first conversation. Then in early 2008, I was driving into work for a Saturday appointment and I noticed 4 pickups out front. BINGO! I pulled into the lot, went up to the open door, knocked, yelled, no answer... I eventually went inside looking for someone, finally found the work crew that was about to demo the interior and turn it into a medical office plaza... I asked about the lamps and the foreman said "sure!" we worked out a price, told him I'd be back after my appointment, and thanked heaven that I had cash on me that day (I usually never do). I came back 2 hours later and started unhooking the lamps & wiring. x17. Meanwhile my wife and her brother were on their way with 2 cars. My wife also asked the guy for a Chinese lantern. it's now hanging in the bedroom. I should have grabbed all 20+ lanterns.

I should mention at this point that as I went in the place the 2nd time, I was looking for the work crew again (they were in basement) I looked all over the place and in the office, I found 4 or 5 milk crates of jade green tiles. The good ones with sharp, deep detail. The guy said they were the one thing that the family wanted saved and they were not for sale... though I got the feeling I could have pressed him for a crate or 2...
But I think I know why... I see there is now a new location of the same place. Small and in a strip mall. I need to check the place out.

fin.

-Z

HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!! Nice score. Wish I could find stuff as good as that on my street. That's some great MI. history.

Pages: 1 7 replies