Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki 65 carvings Update 04/26/2011 New pics & links Pg 6

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

T6

Aloha Fellow Carvers
After talking to Aloha Station at Hukilau for longer than I probably should have. I decided to post some of my tiki carvings.
I've been lurking for a few years but a few months ago I thought I'd try my hand at carving. Here's some pics of my work.

The biggest one is my first Tiki carving

The pic above is my newest shifter head

Marquesan front view

Marquesan side view

Even tried my hand a pendants

And the link for my flickr site.
This has more before pics of progress and some of my other crazy tiki stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/

Mahalo
Tiki 65

My bodys in the south but my mind is in the South Pacific............ALOHA

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2009-06-15 14:50 ]

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2010-03-01 18:42 ]

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2010-03-07 18:00 ]

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2010-03-24 17:37 ]

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2010-06-16 11:34 ]

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2010-07-06 18:41 ]

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2011-04-26 10:44 ]

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2011-04-26 10:45 ]

S

WoW! Welcome. You are on fire that 1st Tiki is a killer.
We are going to expect good things from you.

They're all terrible. Please don't show us any more.

Just kidding. Those are amazing! How long have you been carving? You say a "few" months. Does that mean like a few thousand months? Very nice.

T6

Seeksurf: Thanks. I still need to finish his head. Just tring to decide if to keep with the jungle theme or something different.

Finkdaddy: Thank you also. No I just met Swanky in Jan 09 and I had only carved my first Tiki a week earlier. But I did sculpt three Tiki shifter knobs for Jimmy Flintstone in 2006/2007. But carving is a bigger challange for me. When I sculpt I can always add more not so with wood. One mistake and you've got fire wood.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 15, 2009 3:59 PM

Nice carves, nice designs. Winner right out of the gate.

GROG like.

Awesome stuff!!!Really dig the marq with his club.Look forward to see'n
some more pic's.

H

Mice carvings I like them also.

Nice! Thanks for sharing and joining. Your stuff can only improve from this point forward.

Fantastic work! I really like the detail you have put into your carvings.
The marq is my favorite. Keep carving and showing them off here. :)

Welcome to the ohana. It was great talking with you at Hukilau (my voice worn out by Saturday). The whole weekend was overwhelming but one of the highlights was meeting with you and seeing your stuff. How is it I didn't get one of yours?? Your stuff is fantastic and will only continue to get better the more you do AND SHOW! If there are more guys out there like you I may take up carving birds or bears. I spent Sunday on the coach going over everything and saw your card. PM's/emails to come.

Again - welcome and keep posting!!

B

WOW !!! Great stuff. Love the detail work. 9 more tiki pins and we have a new game. Love your stuff. BUFFBAD

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 15, 2009 7:37 PM

Awesome work man, I cant beleive these are your first carves. The Marquesan with the club is great, a standout fo sure!

L

Awesome work for first carving! Full details, flowers, skulls,... Same time very classic and personnal style!

keep posting!

J.

Sorry to jump in so late. Great Marq. Lotsa great carving
around here lately.

Wow, it's easy to jump on this bandwagon! Excellent work!!

K

Not much to say that hasn't already been said here.

I love your work so far - especially the big guy on the right! I want one!

Sweet! Outstanding detail and a nice flow. Would love to see some of your sculptures to see where you draw your talent from. Keep up the great work.

T6

Thank you to all of my fellow TCers. Your response has been over whelming. It's great to read all this great feedback. You're all to kind.

Sorry for the slow reply but working two jobs now to pay for the Hukilau trip. I'll try to keep up with my posting as I carve some more.

A big Thanks again to you all and Aloha Station for his needed nudge.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

T

Hello there,

You really have an eye for it. This is what I wanted to say. Compared to my first attempts these are perfect from the start. I have scrolled through your flickr photostream. Are you a professional sculptor?

B

Tiki65, Welcome to TC, Glad to have you here finally. Not sure how long you have been carving, but Definitely long enough to be comfortable enough in your skills to create some Awesome Detail. Excellent designs and traditionals as well. Love that you aren't afraid to add your own twists to the ancient pieces. I would love to see the tools youn use as well as your work space?
Cheers

T6

Tok-tok: Thanks for the bump and compliments. As a answer to your question I would say No and Yes. No it's not my profession but a passion. I wish I could move to the tropics and work on my carving skills. But the answer is also yes because I've sold a few pieces and produced some for production.

Here's a few pieces not on flickr

The Twisted Bat is a personal project (much red tape to make it legit)
The bottom two tikis were a promo for Goodguys car shows but they lost interest and never went any further.

Tikilizard: Here is a pic of some recent sculpts. I'll have to dig for some of the older stuff

Thanks again to everyone including the ones just looking

Mahalo
Tiki 65

My bodys in the south but my mind is in the South Pacific............ALOHA

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2009-06-21 19:55 ]

T6

Benzart: Thank you.
I saw you Saturday morning at Hukilau but didn't want to bother you. Plus you had a sharp object in your hand :)
And again at the Mai Kai that night but wasn't the place to talk shop.

The piece you did that Bob Ho (Tiki Hana) had around his neck was spectacular. The pics on the forum didn't do it justice.

I use a lot of different tools. Like most all beginners I bought some cheap stuff to make sure I could even do this.
Now I'm starting to buy better quality tools. I'd say every piece gets touched by my dremel tool. But my hook knife comes in a close second. Especially with the smaller stuff. I'm wanting to tackle some big pieces next. So some better chisels are going to make there way to the garage. I'll try to get a pic of tools and space together.

Thanks again

Mahalo
Tiki 65

B

Man, I can't wait to se what you do with more better tools, I'm droolin' already!
Really nice stuff.

P
phinz posted on Mon, Jun 22, 2009 2:16 PM

Hey! I recognize that guy 2nd from the right...

S
squid posted on Mon, Jun 22, 2009 4:22 PM

Twisted Bat for me please!

T6

Did a quicky carve just for giggles. Haven't had a lot of time to carve. This was the first time in the shop since Hukilau.

I did the letters a few months ago.

Inspired by Ed Roths Surfite.

As fast as it was carved it was stained and painted. Box has original art.

Here's it all together.

As Always Thanks for looking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/

Aloha
Tiki 65

C

Hi tiki65, i just discovered your thread, very cool first tikis indeed! i went trhu your flickr too, is the palm tree wood?

T6

Hey Clarita, The palm tree on the chalk board, the Aloha Pineapple and the Trader Scotts' sign were carved from MDF. It's like particle board but finer particles. Stays together better and less likely to chip. Very forgiving for a beginner such as myself.

Thanks for looking
Tiki 65

I don't want to hear any of this "beginner" B.S. anymore. Got it?! :evil:
Amazing work!

T6

Finkdaddy: Thanks again for the compliment.

If not a beginner then a "Less Seasoned Carver" :). But by "NO" means a master of the art.

Everyone has a start .....................but does anyone ever stop learning?

That's why I've lurked for so long collecting images and ideas. Reference is "KING"

Every artist on TC is a great source of inspiration in some way or another. No matter how small or great the contribution.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

The Club sign rocks! Nice job.

B

Believe me, your work is an inspiration to us too!.
Go to http://www.warrencutlery.com for the best carving handles and hook blades

Nice stylings... love your work

S

Cool cool!

T6

Really guys I haven't been just goofin off.

I've been working on Swanky's Bar

Not so much a carve but a resculpt.

For more pics of the rework and finish

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/sets/72157622083749009/

Enjoy
Tiki 65

Before AND after, this carving has nice tits!!

T

Really great work. The new paint job is tits-on.

T

Hey tiki65, I've seen some of your work before on the tiki group at flickr. Awesome stuff! Your marq is really great. Love the hula girl makeover too. That's pretty incredible. Keep posting!

T6

Hey guys Thanks for all the comps.

I'll be back to some tiki carving this labor day weekend.

No better way to relax than with power tools, sharp chisels and covered in wood chips.

Aloha
Tiki 65

S

NEver saw this thread before.

You really gave "Becky" nice eyes. Yeah, eyes...

S

Much better fine work.

B

Wow, Your latest stuff is Amazing and so Realistic looking. Swanky is one Lucky guy.Thanks, can't wait to see more!

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-11-07 14:47 ]

T6

Benzart
As always thanks for the comps. Haven't carved much wood lately. But I did a piece for Swanky's Bar at Halloween. My way of saying thanks for the invite.

I took your suggestion and picked up a knife set from warren cutlery
Just haven't got to use them much.

Thanks again for the props and BUMP

For more pics go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/

Mahalo
Tiki 65

[ Edited by: tiki 65 2009-11-11 12:15 ]

T6

Been some time since my last post. Finally got to do some carving.
My first try at a PNG piece. Not totally traditional but hey you never know till you try.

Benzart: I finally got to use my new http://www.warrencutlery.com/ Great set of knives..... Thanks!

This was December/January's project. My two new mug shelfs. I was inspired by Bamboo Ben

And Not so tiki projects in February

Mahalo
Tiki 65

and this little dude

That Rat Fink is awesome!

T6

AlohaStation: Thanks. I had the idea for years and just got a hair to start working on it. I will keep you posted on the development. I know as a graphic artist you have a lot of ideas and would love to see it go from 2D to 3D. I may do a very limited run in resin after its done?

L

Always start a new page with nice pics...

On 2010-03-01 18:41, tiki 65 wrote:

Looking good for the PNG carving, and good job for the Rat Fink!

Cheers!

J.

T6

Got a chance to finish the PNG piece.

Thanks for looking and everyone support.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

Pages: 1 2 82 replies