Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki 65 carvings Update 04/26/2011 New pics & links Pg 6

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

Really nice carve, and great choice in colors! Is that stain or paint?

BT

That PNG carve looks great

T

luvin the RAE FINK!!!!!

C

Fabulous work on the PNG mask, great carve and excellent colors.

T6

4WDtiki, Badd Tiki, and congatiki Thanks for the Comps on the PNG piece.
I first stained the whole piece with water-based walnut stain.. that's the dark. Followed up by dry brushing with acrylic paints (Craft paint). Sealed with dulcoat.

tikigodz: Rat Fink is always a favorite subject. I got to meet and talk with Ed Roth in 1992 and that little time talking to him had a very strong influence on me ever since.

Check here every now and then for other projects http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/

And to everyone who just clicked in to look... Thank You. There is so much "Top Shelf" talent on these forums its hard to know where to start. Every artist on TC has helped inspire me.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 8, 2010 6:14 PM

Major Skilz!! GROG like.

hell yeah !!!! awsome stuff!! cheerz!!

T

Great PNG piece!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 8:19 AM

It's even better in person. Lots of detail that does not show in pics.

B

Way Excellent piece of work Tiki 65, the colors are Perfect and the carving is just Incredible. Do you have any more in the works?

T6

GROG: Me thank you!

Big tiki scott: Thanks! I've been all over your thread. Wow what a great carver. Hope to see you at Hukilau.

TikiMango: After meeting you at Hukilau last year every time I go through your thread I am blown AWAY! Your incredible attention to detail helps drive me to do more myself. Thank you

Swanky: Its all your fault. The Hapa Haole Hideaway is covered in PNG carvings. How could I not be inspired. Thanks

Benzart: Always a pleasure to get Comps from a master carver. I do have plans to do some more PNG pieces and a Maori piece or two. Fortunately / Unfortunately I have other projects that seem to get intertwined with what I am doing. So I can't focus on just carving, but the sculpting and woodworking projects do help when I do go back to carve.

T6

Just a quick one that I did as a present for Mrs Swanky.

One piece of scrap pine, hemp cord, plastic bone and some stray beads/feathers.
Stained and painted with craft paint.

Thanks for looking.
Tiki 65

S

Dam those PNGs look great. Love the colors and craftsmanship.
Nice little head too.

Hi Tiki 65. It was great to meet you at Frankie's last Wednesday. I'm happy to see there is some outstanding talent here in my hometown. I love your work especially the Marquesan. I hope to see you again at Frankie's so I can pick your brain and get some tips. Your art is an inspiration.

B

Amazing that you can create such excellent stuff with odds'n ends and scraps and that bucket full of talent!

T

On 2010-03-24 17:36, tiki 65 wrote:
One piece of scrap pine, hemp cord, plastic bone and some stray beads/feathers.
Stained and painted with craft paint.

scrap pine, plastic bone, stray beads and feathers huh?? Of course! Sheesh. :lol: :lol: Well done! I would proudly hang it on my wall for sure.

Thanks for posting. Now I'm off to search the garage for some scrap wood and stray beads and feathers....

T6

On 2010-04-01 22:34, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
Hi Tiki 65. It was great to meet you at Frankie's last Wednesday. I'm happy to see there is some outstanding talent here in my hometown. I love your work especially the Marquesan. I hope to see you again at Frankie's so I can pick your brain and get some tips. Your art is an inspiration.

Trailerpark Tiki: I wish I was in Vegas but that wasn't ME! The last time I was in Las Vegas I got married and it was 1999. BUT....... I did find out you talked to Mrs "Swanky" that night.
Thanks for checking out my stuff and you can always PM me if needed. My brain is at your disposal.:)

Benzart: Thanks again for the great support for my work and everyone on TC. Its always great to see your posts they keep me thinking and carving.

TheBigT: Thanks for the comp. I Love the stuff that you have done. I've been all over your post & seriously dig those bigger carvings.

My mistake. I met several TCer's and it was loud in there. I see, KnoxVegas must mean you live in Mr. Swanky's hometown. Do you use a chainsaw to 'rough out' your carving, or is it all chiseling?

T6

Trailerpark Tiki: No Problem! I thought it was all funny anyway. You just make me long for Vegas again. I love your hometown. Vegas is full of eye-candy on every level. If you can't find it in Vegas your not looking. :)

I use a combo of tools. I do not have a chainsaw in the standard sense. I use a 4 inch grinder with a chainsaw blade for the bulk. Second round I start to use my chisels. Then carving knifes on the third go around. Finishing with sanding disc/sand paper.

Next big project I will try to get more step by step pics posted.

Look for me over on the Art swap post in the next week or so.

Have a great weekend and another of your favorite drinks at Frankies for me.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

C

Great carves tiki 65!

On 2009-06-15 14:34, tiki 65 wrote:
Aloha Fellow Carvers
After talking to Aloha Station at Hukilau for longer than I probably should have. I decided to post some of my tiki carvings.
I've been lurking for a few years but a few months ago I thought I'd try my hand at carving. Here's some pics of my work.

The biggest one is my first Tiki carving

The pic above is my newest shifter head

Marquesan front view

Marquesan side view

Even tried my hand a pendants

And the link for my flickr site.
This has more before pics of progress and some of my other crazy tiki stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/

Mahalo
Tiki 65

I was amazed by that tiki with the skull carving. And now I'm finally posting about it.

T6

Well we just got back from our second Hukilau and all I can say is WOW!
It was great to talk to everyone, share tips and receive comps which I will be ever grateful.
Getting to chat again with Alohastation, Tiki Hana, and Tikimango were high points of my weekend.
Finally getting to meet Benzart in person and to see the quality of his work just blew me away.
Every ones Compliments on my work did not fall on deaf ears. It all sunk in and will keep my drive alive for years to come.

That being said......don't think I wasn't inspired.......because I was.

Here is my first attempt at bone carving

Special Thanks to Ray and Ben

I didn't get a chance to sell any of my pendants
and still have plenty available

Martian-tiki: Thanks for the comp and bump. The skull has been finished but I still need
to work on the rest of the tikis head piece? Keep checking back
PS Your join date is "International Talk like a Pirate Day" and My B-Day.

Mahalo and Aloha
Tiki 65

great work on your first bone carving. id like to see how great the second is going to be or even number 3.....good work!!!

went to hukilau for the first time and got a chance to meet some great people there....aloha, tikimango, pdrake, tikiG etc.everybody should have their TC handles on their shirts.

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-06-16 12:12 ]

S

Well done on the 1st bone. Looks tight to me.

Just went through the whole thread...
Very nice stuff!! :)

L

Very nice Marquesan with U'u club! And good start for the bone work.

J.

S

Looking @ that Marquesan, Wow that sucker is a Great looking carve. Well done!

B

About time you did some bone stuff, Excellent works too especially for the first. You will find the bone will take All the detail you can give it and more, so sharpen those tools and get some more going.

B

martian-tiki,, Welcome to TC, about time!!! Excellent carvings you've been hiding from us, thanks for Finally posting them and now you should create a thread of your own, it's easy. I would love to see more photos of tikis in the works,, tools and stuff like that. Cool stuff, no actually Way Excellent stuff...

Tiki65, great meeting you at Hukilau. You are well on your way to mastering the Bone!

T6

Thanks to Benzart and TikiMango. Both of your works and words inspire me.

Here's a look at my latest attempts into the world of bone carving.

Closeup of the tails. I tried for a little action in the carve?

These two pieces are for hanging the curtian in the tiki room.
Hard to get pics of all the depth. Will post again when finished.

Thanks Again for looking
Aloha Tiki 65

C

Very nice pieces, I specially like #2

T6

Well it has been just a bit since my last post. Rest a sure I haven't been slacking off.:)
From August of last year till New Years Eve I've worked on Trader Scott's Bar renovation.
Here is the TC thread
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37386&forum=20&36
Flicker pics HERE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phinz/sets/72157624763715802/
FB here / More Pics
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Trader-Scotts-Tiki-Bar-and-Lounge/149549040214?sk=photos

Since Jan of 2011 I have been back on track. Trying to get ready for Hukilau
Rangiroa Tiki / Shifter

Franken Tiki Sr. / Shifter

Frankie Jr. / Pendant

The beginnings of my cannibal trio The Set will be available at Hukilau 2011

Group shot and castings. Available at Hukilau 2011

Here some of the latest bone work

and

Mahalo for looking and I'll keep on carving.

For more Pics Check out my Flickr sight
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/

Aloha From KnoxVegas
Tiki 65

Whoa, way to stay busy! What's that #8 bone hook, half wood? Very cool!

T6

4WD TIKI
Its Padauk hardwood. Purchased it at WoodCraft. Hard as bone to carve but will buff out just like the bone.
Thanks for asking :)

Pages: 1 2 82 replies