Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Are you a Disney park purist?

Pages: 1 21 replies

I was just reading through the Disney park collectibles. And I will admit, I am a huge original Pirates Of The Caribbean fan. I'm talking about back when there was that explosion at the end of the ride instead of Johnny Dipsh...i mean...Depp. And I feel the same about the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disney World's Magic Kingdom. The whole, Under New Management is just tacky to me. And in the tiki room, that's saying something.
That being said, I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same about any of the other rides.
The new sub ride perhaps?

S

In some ways I am. Haven't been to Disneyland in 25 years, but we go to WDW every couple of years. I'm still miffed about them changing POTC due to political correctness.....much less adding Jack Sparrow. Loved the movies, but I didn't think they should have added the characters. Having said that,I think they did a decent job of making him fit. The Tiki Room is.....well, lets not go there. I'm not against change. I think they did a great job with the Haunted Mansion, and I'd like to see them do the Nightmare overlay like at Disneyland. As much as I complain (tongue in cheek) about It's a Small World, what they did there was patently wrong. I'm glad they've restarted the subs. Love the original, but it just isn't relevant (until they do a remake).

[ Edited by: Staredge 2009-06-20 07:37 ]

On 2009-06-20 05:24, The Lounge Tiki wrote:
I was just reading through the Disney park collectibles. And I will admit, I am a huge original Pirates Of The Caribbean fan. I'm talking about back when there was that explosion at the end of the ride instead of Johnny Dipsh...i mean...Depp. And I feel the same about the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disney World's Magic Kingdom. The whole, Under New Management is just tacky to me. And in the tiki room, that's saying something.
That being said, I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same about any of the other rides.
The new sub ride perhaps?

i really loved the old pirates ride and 20,000 leagues under the sea.
i am glad the jungle boat ride and haunted mansion are still pretty much the same as always.

Changes to details of the rides don't bother me most of the time--like the addition of newer, cooler animatronic elephants to the Jungle Cruise ride, or slight changes in the Haunted Mansion. I even have learned to enjoy the "new" Pirates of the Caribbean ride with the movie elements.

The total ride overhaul of the Submarine Voyage, I don't like at all, I think everything about it is just wrong, from the switch to stylized cartoon designs, to the use of 2-D video in an underwater/3-D ride.

I will admit, the Davy Jones clip on the steam was a pretty cool feature in the new POTC. I got to ride the sub once when I was there.

I do agree with the new sub ride. While it is cool, it's like chunky peanutbutter. It's good and all, but it kinda shows they didn't put full effort into making it.

TS

I am a "purist" in the sense that, the CEO's/Resort Managers/Shareholders/Presidents or whoever, do not seem to have any respect for Walt's Ideas or philosophies, anymore. They have had to "add" their footprint somehow, and stepping on the original rides that Walt approved of before he died is downright blasphemy to the parks founders.

Nemo sucks, and gives no feel of "exploration" like the Subs used to. Its like watching cartoons on TV at home.

The new Johnny Depp version of POTC sucks, because now, the original storyline has been blurred by the movie additions. Tell me Barbossa isn't out of place on a ship called the "Wicked Wench"..? Or Davey Jones in the dark corridor making his only appearance? It was almost "half assed", and totally unnecessary.

The new Haunted Mansion bride is downright dumb now, since she looks like a super model, instead of the scary old lady widow she once was.

The Astro Orbitor crammed into the main entry walkway to Tomorrowland was poorly planned, and was much more exciting sitting up top of the peoplemover track.

Star Tours is ok, but that is one ride that could use a serious update. New missions would be cool, like flying to other planets, with each "ship" taking you to a random location, and giving new adventures.

The Refurbished Small World has lost its true meaning to non existent make believe cartoon creations. They do not adhere in any way shape or form to the stylings of Mary Blair, which most of the attraction is set around. Mr. Sklar and Mr. Baxter both lied about this. The new lighting however, is great as it should be with any update. But the addition of Disney characters to the ride is a slap in the face to those involved in the original design and concept.

I think that out of all of the Disney Resorts, much more careful planning and care for preservation should be considered when dealing with the Anaheim location. It was, afterall, the only Park that Walt actually walked and worked in, on a daily basis before his death. Without the Anaheim location, there would be no Disney empire.

I digress, even with my negative points, I still think the place has "magic" left in it. Now its just a little harder to find, but it is there. Ride the Mark Twain, see the show at The Golden Horseshoe Revue, enjoy the Enchanted Tiki Room, Ride the Jungle Cruise, or sit back and take a train ride around the berm...See if you can find the Crawfish, Catfish, to tadpoles and turtles, that reside in the waters of the Rivers of America to the Castle moat. They all still seem to carry the nostalgic memories from Walts era!
I use my Passport weekly, and seem to discover things that have been there seemingly forever, but somehow overlooked through my younger years.

T

Tom - what did you think of last years "reawakening" of the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough...?

K

This is a very interesting topic because I believe they have actually gotten a few things right - for the most part - while completely ruining others.

I spent two summers back in 90 and 91 working in the park and LOVE most things Disneyland. My first summer I expertly navigated the rivers of the Jungle Cruise - steering with my butt - and my second summer I piloted the classic subs.

I did not like the switch from the SFR Treehouse to Tarzan's Treehouse, but at least that tolerable.

The PC-ification of the Pirates was awful. Pirates chase women - end of story. I have not yet seen the Dipp addition - but loved the nods to the ride in the first movie.

I did not like the switch from the Tahitian Terrace - I will forever remember trying to flirt with the girls in the show as I drove the Meekong Maiden and other JC boats past the back-stage area during each show.

What they did to the subs is just plain wrong - and I haven't even seen it yet. How many submarines were in that movie?

I won't even acknowledge the new changes to the Tiki room. Jose and the other birds need to stage a hostile takeover and return this show to its original glory.

But at the same time I do like some changes.

The modifications to Space Mountain ROCK! Or at least they did when I was last there - 8 years ago. I've got video of the inside with the lights on when they had a breakdown while my friends and I were just approaching the top.

The new monorails look great in pictures. More closely resembling the classic original design rather than some sleek lear jet looking thing - although that was still pretty cool looking as well.

The addition of Fantasmic was PERFECT! I saw pictures when they were testing concepts after the park closed - One name they were looking at was going to be "Imaginations". Although I will miss the firework runs on the Mark Twain - do they still run these?

I could go on and on here...

TS

On 2009-06-21 07:45, Tangaroa wrote:
Tom - what did you think of last years "reawakening" of the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough...?

Tang, I thought it was decent and nicely done, as it displays some wonderful effects, when it isn't "broken down". I will admit, that I do miss the 3-D styled puppet characters. In my opinion, any dioramas just look better with physical miniature properties. I've always liked stuff like model railroads and such, because of the miniature "reality" feel to it, and I think Disney loses that feel when they replace live motion with cartoons/animations, taking for example, the Nemo Subs.

I guess that is why I also dismiss Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania as attractions, because at the end of the day, they are just elaborate video games. If I really want to play games, I can stay home and avoid 45-60 minute waits in between games.

I'd like to add this on another note since it still pertains to the topic.
Although I might be considered a Disney purist, I would like to see certain things change and grow. A prime example of my thinking, is making Tomorrowland after its namesake, and keep it relevent with todays times. I think that the whole section of Tomorrowland should use LED light sources, and conserve energy, as well as making them solar and self dependent. Charge by day, turn on at night via a timer. The lights technically only need to run for 6-8 hours during park hours, and LEDs have such a low energy consumption anyways.

Bring back the edutainment that Tomorrowland was known for. Showing what we as humans can do to make a difference, but keeping it in Disney spirit that doesn't seem like preaching or cramming reality down people's throats, so to speak...
Also, reinvent Innovations. As if the park doesn't already have enough arcades and video games. This "attraction" is like walking into a Frys or BestBuy store, and I'm always ready for someone to try and sell me something.

T

On 2009-06-20 05:24, The Lounge Tiki wrote:
And I will admit, I am a huge original Pirates Of The Caribbean fan. I'm talking about back when there was that explosion at the end of the ride instead of Johnny Dipsh...i mean...Depp.

I thought replacing Paul Frees' voice with the Captain Barbarossa dude, where the ship and fort are battling it out, was a complete crime.

MN

I'll be very disappointed when I see Spidey swinging from the Enchanted Castle. And then there is the Hulk running around Tom Sawyer's Island fighting Jack Sparrow. :roll:

TS

On 2009-09-09 17:06, tikipedia wrote:

I thought replacing Paul Frees' voice with the Captain Barbarossa dude, where the ship and fort are battling it out, was a complete crime.

I totally agree. The Blackbeard Captain of the "Wicked Wench" was superbly done, and played well off of the Spainards defending the attack from the fort walls. The whole storyline has been corrupted by adding movie elements, and the ride's story just doesn't seem to flow anymore.

T

Me and my wife both love the original Haunted Mansion ride so much that we plan our trips to Disneyland accordingly to avoid the Nightmare Before Christmas travesty they do there every year. It's awful. It looks like someone gathered up all the Nightmare crap they could find from a Spencer's gift store, loaded it into a truck, then dumped it all over the interior of the Haunted Mansion. So in that respect, yes, we're purists.

Too bad they couldn't do an updated version of my childhood favorite, Adventures Thru Inner Space. I guess we'll have to wait for a movie version of it or a remake of "Innerspace" starring Zach Ephron before a ride is even considered.

TS

On 2009-09-10 14:11, Tobor64 wrote:
It looks like someone gathered up all the Nightmare crap they could find from a Spencer's gift store, loaded it into a truck, then dumped it all over the interior of the Haunted Mansion.

I guess we'll have to wait for a movie version of it or a remake of "Innerspace" starring Zach Ephron before a ride is even considered.

LOL, how about Innerspace with the Jonas Brothers!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 3:06 PM

In my heart I'm a purist too - a child of 60s Disneyland. Before my sister was born in '72 my father, mother and myself visited twice a year - usually for my birthday with friends and again during the Christmas holiday (Dad bought me a dime bank, a simple clear plastic tube hung vertically on my bedroom wall. When this dime bank was full of dimes - the dimes from dad's daily pocket change when he came home from work - it was time to visit Disneyland. The bank held $20.00 of dimes..$20.00 was all my family needed to visit the Happiest Place On Earth.)

Many treasured memories of childhood were created at Disneyland; I'm sure some of us have parallel experiences to share.

My first roller-coaster ride...Matterhorn 1966.Brought on stage at the age of five - Golden Horseshoe Review - Wally Boag made and gave me a balloon animal..1968. Sneaking kisses on the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train during elementary school grad-nite 1977. Sneaking tokes on the Fantasyland Skyway during High School grad-nite 1981. etc etc

For me, Disneyland began a steep nose-dive in '86 when the Adventure Thru Inner Space was removed. That year I realized my beloved Disneyland of youth was changing (and usually changing for the worst in my humble mind.)

I agree too with the removal of the Rocket Jets from its spot above the People Mover loading platform..how could they do THAT? While Astro Orbitor looks great (but wee too cartoony for my taste - I prefer the NASA look)its current location sucks. The Astro Orbitor also changes the whole vibe of Disneyland's Hub. It should be located in the original spot, high above Tomorrowland..a focal point to aim for centered in Tomorrowland.

I can go on and on but others have cited many topics I agree with already.

In middle age I now understand that things change and I accept them if I agree or not.

Disneyland always has a place in my heart, in my memories. I find myself visiting once every five years or so.

To be honest, the most depressing event of my childhood isn't related to Disneyland.
To this day I still can't forgive the city of Long Beach and its decision to destroy the Cyclone Racer..

T

*On 2009-09-10 15:06, TikiG wrote:*For me, Disneyland began a steep nose-dive in '86 when the Adventure Thru Inner Space was removed. That year I realized my beloved Disneyland of youth was changing (and usually changing for the worst in my humble mind.)

Fear not, Tiki G. There's a guy who's re-created the Adventure Thru Inner Space ride in CGI and it's very cool; it's as close as we'll ever get to experiencing it again. He sells DVD's of the first person P.O.V. ride he made, too. I picked one up a few years ago & it's well worth the $20.00:

http://themightymicroscope.com/dvd_puchase.htm

ATIS was my favorite ride. Way back, you needed tickets for individual rides (A, B, C, and D tix). ATIS was sponsored by Monsanto, so didn't require tickets. So we could ride on it as much as we wanted.

But Tobor is quite right. I have the CGI recreation too, and it is worth every cent.

On 2009-09-10 16:29, Tobor64 wrote:

*On 2009-09-10 15:06, TikiG wrote:*For me, Disneyland began a steep nose-dive in '86 when the Adventure Thru Inner Space was removed. That year I realized my beloved Disneyland of youth was changing (and usually changing for the worst in my humble mind.)

Fear not, Tiki G. There's a guy who's re-created the Adventure Thru Inner Space ride in CGI and it's very cool; it's as close as we'll ever get to experiencing it again. He sells DVD's of the first person P.O.V. ride he made, too. I picked one up a few years ago & it's well worth the $20.00:

http://themightymicroscope.com/dvd_puchase.htm

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Sep 11, 2009 6:55 AM

Bitch-en!

Thanks guys for turning me onto the DVD - ordered one this morning :)

T

Well, with retro-Disneyland getting into vogue more & more, it's really only a matter of time before they just go ahead and re-build the entire original theme park over again, where in weekly rotation the park guides and other crew dress in different decades' (50's, 60's, 70s) attire, etc.
Ongoing rule: no changes to ever be made. And Knott's would be in the package.

Someone start a petition!

TS

I just aired out my boiler on micechat over the bullshit Disney pulls on mechandising. Disney threw a Special Event that required seperate admission ticket packages in range from $85/person to $489/person. It was for the Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary, and had included Limited edition merchandise as well as open edition stuff to buy. The event took place on 09/09/09, and the tickets sold out within 10 min of release, causing Disney servers to crash during the order process. Well insult to injury alot of those special tickets made their way to ebay, and all were being sold for hundreds up to thousands more than original selling price. I went the day after that event in hopes to score some leftover merchandise, limited or open...Whatever they had, that I liked...Well find out that Disney Event Services took all of the leftovers to the D23 convention, another special event that had nothing to do with the 40th HM event. I was at the park early that morning, and found out while standing in front of Disneyana store. I was pretty pissed off that again, Disney neglects the little people, who are probably the strongest supporters. In any case, before completly tieing up this thread, since I can be considered a Disney Purist(long gone are the good ol' days), PM me if you want to read the thread, and I'll send a link. I still have love for the Park(for now), but fuck the suits, and their bad decision making strategies!

RR

Bring back the pack mules!

http://www.yesterland.com/earlymules.html

TS

If you enjoyed the antics of Wally Boag and the Golden Horseshoe Revue, then this book would be a must have.

http://www.thegoldenhorseshoereview.com/w_boag/index.html

Probably one of the greatest lesser known actors/comedians who ever graced a stage in Disneyland.

Pages: 1 21 replies