Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Harassed Mermaids

Pages: 1 27 replies

I think I would be guilty too if I had his job.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-mermaid-sexually-harrassed-bn062609,0,1238287.story

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2009-06-26 08:05 ]

TS

lmao! :lol: thanks for the laugh....Some of the comments are just as funny as the story itself!

i kissed a weeki wachee mermaid once.
i was five and she was doing a photoshoot at the hotel

Meanwhile over in Anaheim, CA..

For a couple of years in the 60's, Disneyland use to have mermaids in the submarine lagoon. Female castmembers who would sit in the lagoon in mermaid costumes. I read somewhere that guys would jump into the water to get to the mermaids. Must have been some siren song thing.

Disneyland Submarine Voyage Stories

Damn.....no photos?!

I am not sure that quite qualifies as an 'article' by newspaper standards..... Dude got fired for chasing some tail rim shot

And I'm with you Alohastation.... if that was my job you know I would be in trouble in very short order. If not with the mermaid then certainly with the wife!

News Flash! This just in...

Noooooooo!!

Interview with a 1966 Disneyland Submarine Lagoon mermaid with photos.

[ Edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2018-09-09 01:18 ]

Great article....thanks King!!!!

M

REALLY enjoyed the Edie-view. I'd completely forgotten about the lagoon mermaids, having seen them only once and never hearing a mention about them til now. Bring back the mermaids and the '60s!

Cool interview. Why doesn't Disney bring the mermaids back to the Lagoon?

OSHA...

... and probably the union too.

On 2012-08-01 10:42, Deke Kahala wrote:

I am a former Disneyland castmember who worked in the Entertainment Division. The production manager I worked for, who was there working when the mermaids were there, occasionally made comments that the mermaid "atmosphere entertainment" program eventually stopped when the company came to realize that the chlorine and the sun exposure just became too problematic for long-term human performers. The submarine lagoon is more highly filtered for clarity and cleanliness, and also much more highly chlorinated, than your typical human swimming pool. Or so the older people around me always said. There's a good interview by Disney historian Jim Korkis with Edie here:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/9577/The_Disneyland_Mermaids

I did a quick online search but could not easily determine in what year the mermaid program was stopped. But from the photos I found online, I see that many of those gals were very attractive and had very nice smiles.

On 2012-08-01 11:40, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2012-08-01 10:42, Deke Kahala wrote:

I am a former Disneyland castmember who worked in the Entertainment Division. The production manager I worked for, who was there working when the mermaids were there, occasionally made comments that the mermaid "atmosphere entertainment" program eventually stopped when the company came to realize that the chlorine and the sun exposure just became too problematic for long-term human performers. The submarine lagoon is more highly filtered for clarity and cleanliness, and also much more highly chlorinated, than your typical human swimming pool. Or so the older people around me always said. There's a good interview by Disney historian Jim Korkis with Edie here:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/9577/The_Disneyland_Mermaids

I did a quick online search but could not easily determine in what year the mermaid program was stopped. But from the photos I found online, I see that many of those gals were very attractive and had very nice smiles.

That makes sense about the high chlorine and sun exposure. Still a shame that it didn't work, I bet it would be still cool.

Technically, sexual harassment can only occur in the employment context, unless maybe the mermaid was harassed when in a mermaid school.

However, I doubt mermans were contemplated when those rules were created.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2012-08-05 21:42 ]

On 2012-08-01 11:40, AceExplorer wrote:

...I did a quick online search but could not easily determine in what year the mermaid program was stopped. But from the photos I found online, I see that many of those gals were very attractive and had very nice smiles.

According to the Daveland web page, The mermaids were in the lagoon "From summer 1965 through summer 1967, the mermaids could be seen for four hours a day on the rocks in the middle of the lagoon. A few overly amorous males apparently swam out to the rocks to the meet the mermaids". Lots of photos on the web page of both the animatronic and live mermaids.

Mermaids at the Republican National Convention

However, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration insists that mermaids aren't real.

Mermaids in training at Disneyland

YouTube: Mermaids at Submarine Lagoon

HT

This thread is brilliantly bizarre.

The link to the Sun-Sentinel article that began this thread no longer works. I think this is probably the same article:
Think Your Boss Is Bad? Try Working As A Mermaid

Cast member group photo at Disneyland.

How did the mermaids get from Submarine Lagoon to here?

Found this at a flea market, Disney Mermaid postcard

Nice postcard! The photo was taken when the park's vegetation was still small. The last time I was there, the area in the background is now quite wooded and shaded by very mature trees.

TM

On 2016-03-30 06:16, AceExplorer wrote:
Nice postcard! The photo was taken when the park's vegetation was still small. The last time I was there, the area in the background is now quite wooded and shaded by very mature trees.

Interesting. I always think about the golden age of Disneyland, like when I was really young, and wish I could go time travel back there...but the truth is, the vegetation was a lot shorter back then. The place looks better now, in all honesty.

On 2016-03-30 09:12, lucas vigor wrote:
Interesting. I always think about the golden age of Disneyland, like when I was really young, and wish I could go time travel back there...but the truth is, the vegetation was a lot shorter back then. The place looks better now, in all honesty.

Yeah, I know what you mean. And I also think about long-lost family photos of me as a kid, in and around stuff that's now been torn down. Like the big pirate ship in Fantasyland -- I'm certain there was rum aboard even then!!!

(I wrote "rum," so this is officially a tiki post. :)

A Brief History Of That Time Disneyland Employed Live Mermaids

HuffingtonPost: Disneyland Mermaids

Pages: 1 27 replies