Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Were the sailors of the Great White Fleet of 1908 pre Tiki?

Pages: 1 9 replies

Found these photos on the US Navy historical site that you will all find interesting. Looks like these guys knew how to party.

Southern California

Santa Barbara

Equator Crossing party with "King Neptune" and crew

Honolulu 1908

Moro chiefs being towed to greet fleet

Here are the coolest buildings the US Navy ever built. Amoy,China 1908. I wonder how they looked inside?

T

Great find!

HJ

Amazing photos. Thank you for sharing.

W

Lots of great pictures, thanks for posting them. Personally though I'd have hated to be on that cruise.

FWIW, the naval officer in the rickshaw is the grandfather of Senator John McCain.

S

Looks like these guys knew how to party

yeah..us sailors always do....lol..

now this is a REAL wog day...lol...not like the barely anything,PC crap that passes for crossing the line now-a-days....

Personally though I'd have hated to be on that cruise.

the length of it not withstanding....all that time in the tropics in poorly ventilated vessels of the period...would have really been hell on the stokers,water tenders and snipes down in engineering.at least most of us BM's would have spent much of the day topside...not to mention that you only got a seawater shower once a week...

Thanks , the real credit goes to the USN historical site where these came from. I foumd the real pre Tiki sailors though. This Great Fleet sailed long before they did.

Maori legend tells us that the first mass arrival of Polynesian settlers was around 1350. This is called the great fleet.

The Great Fleet forms part of the Maori canoe tradition, handed down orally from generation to generation. According to this tradition, the canoes of the Great Fleet arrived from the mythical homeland of Hawaiiki, generally considered as being somewhere in Eastern Polynesia.

The canoes of the Great Fleet were the Aotea, Arawa, Tainui, Kurahaupo, Takitimu, Horouata, Tokomaru and Mataatua.

Double post

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-10-19 13:20 ]

W

On 2009-10-11 22:05, savoy6 wrote:

Looks like these guys knew how to party

yeah..us sailors always do....lol..

now this is a REAL wog day...lol...not like the barely anything,PC crap that passes for crossing the line now-a-days....

Personally though I'd have hated to be on that cruise.

the length of it not withstanding....all that time in the tropics in poorly ventilated vessels of the period...would have really been hell on the stokers,water tenders and snipes down in engineering.at least most of us BM's would have spent much of the day topside...not to mention that you only got a seawater shower once a week...

That and the length was what I had in mind. So you're a BM, I was a DM before the merger and am currently an MC. Fun job all around.

I recommend reading The Last Gentleman of War: Raider Exploits of the Cruiser Emden as there was quite a bit about the living conditions onboard for their last cruise in the summer/fall of 1914 in the south Pacific and Indian Ocean. The book chronicles a very interesting cruise and trek back to Germany.

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2009-10-17 06:08 ]

O

The Seabee museum in Port Hueneme, California has a great collection of photos and artifacts. The nearby Pt. Mugu missle park has the actual F 14 Tomcat that I worked on as a Aviation Machinist Mate long ago.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26665&forum=1&vpost=349710&hilite=missle%20park

Pages: 1 9 replies