Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Anyone know about Volcano Bowl/Mug Construction?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I have a mystery which YOU might be able to solve.

Having recently visited a restaurant the both serves drinks in volcano bowls AND offers them for sale, I procured a volcano bowl of my own (first photo below). However upon arriving home, I found that the fluid of the cocktail has seeped into the volcano itself and is not easily removed (after a week+ of shaking it, tilting it & letting it slowly seep out, there is still a fair amount of liquid within the volcano bowl's inner chasm(s).

As much as I love the idea of a magically endless cocktail, the concoction is turning fairly rancid & attracting bugs.

Does anyone know about how bowls like this are constructed so that I might expedite the removal of this fluid?
Dare I drill into the volcano through the bottom of the mug (using the hole that's already in the base of the mug (photo #2 below)?

Any & all help is appreciated!

If you bought this at a local restaurant, I'd return and exchange it as defective.

The cone is probably glaze fused to the bowl and there's an area that did not seal. Even if you could drill into the bottom without breaking it, it would then leak your favorite cocktail out on the table when filled.

Thank you MadDogMike.

Sadly, I'm too far away from the restaurant to make it worth returning (I know that these volcano bowls are not exactly "rare").

Your caution about potentially breaking the mug while drilling has me second-guessing that approach.

Originally, I was going to get it to drain, then seal the base of the volcano with some food-safe silicone (letting it return to cocktail use).

Now, however, I'm thinking that I'll let it continue to slowly seep out & just use the bowl for dry goods or decoration once my original cocktail has fully evacuated the volcano chamber.

Thanks again!

I considered silicone too, anything marked "Aquarium safe" is supposedly food safe- I used some inside a mug and haven't died yet :)

But I think you're right, it's probably better off being relegated to dry storage display.

Pages: 1 3 replies