Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Does anyone know where I can buy these Moai Tiki Lights??

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

Does anyone know if these tiki lights are sold anymore?
I've had these a long time and can't seem to find them anywhere!
I'm looking for a couple of sets.

Hopefully someone can help-thanks!

Gina

Hey!! I have 2 of these and would be happy to send you 1 string for free if you want. PM me with your address:)

Wow that's so cool - I love it when people spread good tiki karma. debbiedotikito rocks!

Trad'r Bill

BEYOND cool...I can't say MAHALO enough! Good Karma will be with you always! Thanks SOOOO much (ps: i send you a message!)

Hey! I will mail the string of lights on Monday. By the way what a fun website. I will PM you. :)

W

Last time I was at La Luz de Jesus Gallery in LA, they had them. But the newer version not the cool vintage like you have.

N

They use to be at Archie McPhees I got my there in the late 90s but it looks like they don't carry them anymore, too bad they look great when they are lit up exactly like a giant Gummy Moai.

I have been looking for these for a while as well.I don't think these are made any more.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'll keep searching and let you know if I can find any...

If anyone has a set to spare ,I will look into a mfg. in China where I am sure they were
produced and see if I can't get these imported again or reproduced again and become a
distributor.The PMP Paul Marshall lights I admire also, and I can't find a distrib. for
these either .

I mailed the light off today! Should be there in a few days. Let me know when they get there:)

I too, have been looking for these lights. If anyone comes across where to order more, I would love to have the info shared with me!

L

Not quite what I think people are looking for Liz, however your efforts are certainly
appreciated.

L

On 2009-07-07 18:24, 1961surf wrote:
Not quite what I think people are looking for Liz, however your efforts are certainly
appreciated.

Well they aren't vintage but it DOES look like a lot of people are looking at them.and bidding on them.and the 2 people who just pm'd me about them were glad I posted the link so I guess my efforts WERE appreciated.

:)

M

(I would never yell at you, leleliz!)

You can buy the same lights online from Sur La Table for $19.95. I have two--love them!

-murphdog

Hey Deb! I got 'em safely!! they are slightly smaller than the ones I have but I love them the same and they will work beautifully! Thanks SOOOO much. Goodies will be coming your way next week!

Have a great weekend,
Gina

hey gang~ found some cool tiki lights ON SALE at http://www.surlatable.com/product/housewares/decorative+accessories/tiki+string+lights.do#

These are the best I've seen in a long time. Not Moai, but close?
NOW $9.99

Cowabunga!

[ Edited by: Tiki Charlie 2009-08-04 10:36 ]

L

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Blow-Mold-Tiki-Mug-RV-Pool-Patio-Party-Lights_W0QQitemZ230366535369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a2ea5ec9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

These lights are awesome (and since they have been viewed 66 times I don't think anyone who is interested in buying them hasnt already seen them which is why i am posting it here!)

On 2009-08-14 23:05, leleliz wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Blow-Mold-Tiki-Mug-RV-Pool-Patio-Party-Lights_W0QQitemZ230366535369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a2ea5ec9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

These lights are awesome (and since they have been viewed 66 times I don't think anyone who is interested in buying them hasnt already seen them which is why i am posting it here!)

Those are by far the nicest tiki patio lights I have ever seen! They are even in the style of Paul Marshall Products!.....Those are definately PiMP! :D

Yes but when they are lite they don't look as good as the color PMP Paul Marshall lights
like these. I know who has a few of these left in stock if someone wants to PM
me.I am on my way to Tiki Oasis so I will to get back with you on Monday.

Cheers-Trader Bill

L

Nah the colored ones look cheap....I agree with Tom...the beige ones are PiMP!

I believe Trader Dutch offered these on her site. Ask for Truus at the following adress.

[email protected]

I went on E bay theres a bunch of listings there or should say some are a bit pricey but you can get them there I just bought 3 sets used but great shape . now im treatin um like GOLD outa of the Sun and they stay for years .

you gotta watch out for those vintage ones...the plactic gets so rigid over the years with age that they crack easily and get ruined fast....

I have had and used both sets in the past.Yes the brown ones look more like the original
mugs and they are very cool,however at night- outside the color PMP's just seem to pop.
Different strokes for different folks I guess -right!

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-08-17 17:47 ]

Just picked these up on ebay, these are the tall vintage real deal easter island moai .

Here are some vintage PMP listed right now on ebay, not my auction .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370243681843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

yea theres a bunch on there right now .

On 2009-07-03 11:09, coconutkiss wrote:
Does anyone know if these tiki lights are sold anymore?
I've had these a long time and can't seem to find them anywhere!
I'm looking for a couple of sets.

Hopefully someone can help-thanks!

Gina

These were made by the company that makes Tiki (tm) Torches. They were called Lamplight Farms but were sold out to another company. The new owners discontinued the string lights. I know a few years back they called me to let me know there were only a few cases left of these and I bought a couple. I no longer have them as they've all sold. I did see some last year at Wacko in Los Angeles, I was surprised to see them.

I think Stuff O Rama you may be forced to wait and find a set of used vintage
moai like the ones I posted in this thread.I know where to find the color PMP
but not the Easter island heads .

On 2009-08-17 14:11, 1961surf wrote:
Just picked these up on ebay, these are the tall vintage real deal easter island moai .

those are the repops, not vintage i believe.....the vintage ones look like and are the same size as the black moai tiki mug you usually see from the fireside in wisconsin....these in the picture above look less defined, shorter and more blobby lookin....i posted a set of the vintage ones i found in tiki finds thread a few weeks back....

the picture that is posted at the beginning of this thread is of the classic real vintage moai lights..

also, you can always tell by the colors...red, green, white and yellow were the old tiki string lights...turquoise blue was never used in these till the re pops came out in the late nineties...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-18 11:06 ]

David- these I believe are green, yellow and white, not blue lights.I saw the new
old stock set in the original package you found, however they are very difficult to
see detail when they are in the package.I have not received them yet so I can't
comment until I have received them.The re-pops are shorter then the pics I have
posted I believe .David-if you have any other pics I am sure they would be very
helpful for all to see.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ? Looks like the first vintage set has a pointer nose and the opening
on the bottom where the neck would be- looks possibly different, plus look at the size
of the bulbs used in the first set where the covers are missing.They look like the size
of the outdoor Christmas lights.Also I believe the old sets have a total of ten on one
string vs the newer having only seven .The second set depicted are two strings .

I sure wish I could get my hands on some of those moai lights those are nice!

Ace hardware and Orchard Supply (OSH)hardware stores often sold the old and then the new style of these. Start checking out the lighting and garden areas to see if you can find some stock kicking around.
Better yet, can someone post a picture of the new style and last version of the vintage style boxes. That way, you can print it out and say to someome at the 25 local Ace hardwares "do you still have any of these left?"

Good luck.

PS-I last saw the colored PMP lights at Oceanic Arts a couple years ago.

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2009-08-18 23:02 ]

I referred mymotiki (Laura) to Oceanic Arts yesterday and Bob stated they sold
the last set Friday .They can not get them any more because I use to buy from
same distributor in Canada and they stop distrib. of the PMP color version over
a year ago.Dilema...dilema ....dilema !

i'm stickin with my original assesment...you will see that those you won are turquoise moai made by tiki torch brand, probably....also, one can't assume that those big x-mas bulbs came with those lamps in the first place...my suspicion is that those were intentionally put in the places where the socket was missing a moai, just to jazz up the look with a colored bulb every other socket........the socket size on these and the wattage never changed over the years regardless of what style the string lites were....the bulbs are interchangeable.....the ones i have are the taller ones by the way...no need for picture cause these are the same ones and colors...anyway, i'm not tryin to argue over string lights so i apologize if it sounds like i'm bustin balls over this.....

" In a perfect world...Elvis would still be alive ....and all the elvis impersonators would be dead!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-19 16:45 ]

Ok folks, just to clear it all up, the original pic I posted are larger than the ones in the pic shown on the chain link fence. the colors are different as well. I now have both sets and they strung together on one string of lights (yes they are the large old school xmas bulbs)alternating from a large moai, open bulb, small moai, open bulb. If you are lucky to find either one of these sets, you can be as happy as a clam. It would be best to keep them out of direct sunlight, especially the large ones since the heat thins and hardens the plastic to the point of breaking. It does give it more of a vintage look though. the smaller ones are made of a slightly thicker and more flexible plastic. Enjoy what you've got where ever you an find em!

Mahalos Coconutkiss. I would some how like to make a mold of the older larger Moai
and have these mfgd. thru some Chinese sourcing company and have these reproduced ,
boxed and packaged like the original vintage or maybe close to it.I will have to
find the original box as well .

That would be cool. If you can repair one of the old ones I have with a cracked/broken nose, you are more than welcome to it!

take the broken one, fill it with plaster or resin to make it solid than repair the damage.....next, make a silicon mold of it than rotocast it, so that it's hollow like the original moai..clean up the casting and paint it ....you are going to need samples to send to china (painted and finished)..these samples will not be returned to you so have extras on hand......also make sure that the copyright on this this moai design is free and clear as well as the box art....the last thing you want to do is reproduce these exactly like the old ones, down to the original art, without permission from the original company that made them (good luck with that).....best to come up with a new designs or somehow tweek this one so it's different....anyway, if you need help as far as what you will need to send to china and how the process works (at least how it worked for me when i had stuff produced there) drop me a line. belive it or not, alot of stuff is still produced here in the states....you may find a company here that can create blow-molded tikis for string lights for you....then you only need find a supplier for the string/socket set up that you can buy in bulk . next, create box art and find a printer/box company that can print and cut your boxes....save money by assembling/packaging the lights yourself in your home....you don't need to have cellophane in the packaging..just check out the ways in which string lights have been packaged in the past....pick out a cheap easy solution that won't cost a bundle to make and you are on your way!

i wrote all this assuming you were going to produce a bunch of these, how ever, if you are just making one set or two for yourself than that's a different story....you may be better off making your own moai castings cause no company is going to do a small run of tikis (8-16 or so)..cast them in clear resin and tint it to make them solid in color but translucent enough for light to pass through like the original ones....

I have also made my own string lights in the past by using plastic tiki cup tumblers...just make cut outs (see how it's done on an existing string light) in the tops to fit the wire and socket in and cut the bottoms off (so they don't fill up with water when it rains, silly).....when the holidays roll around, stock up on out door light strings you can use for your own projects...

" In a perfect world...Elvis would still be alive ....and all the elvis impersonators would be dead!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-20 05:15 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-20 05:16 ]

Sounds like a alot of work and expense David.Do you think it would be worth it ?

M

I don't know if this is even a reasonable idea but when I was in high school they had a plastics shop class. In that class we used a machine that did the blow mold stuff. Is it possible to find a high school shop class that might have something like that now? Or how about one of those industrial degree programs at one of the colleges? Some where someone has to learn how to work with plastics and resins, they have to be taught, find an instructor. Or...I could just be dreaming...

M

For example: http://continuinged.uml.edu/plastics/?gclid=CJHe1dvms5wCFSn6agodUEelmA University of Mass. Lowell campus

I just picked up a box of the colored PMP lights at Oceanic Arts last week.

You must have picked up the last one , because they have no more.

No, there were more on the shelf after I took my box. Maybe everyone ran over there and scoped them up before you. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 59 replies