Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Another 1964 Florida Tiki Carver - Bert Coleman

Pages: 1 3 replies

M

Found another carver article in the St. Petersburg Times, Nov. 3 1964:

Sign Painter in Chiefland - He Has a Yen for Sculpturing

Fascinated by work of Japanese and Hawaiian sculptors he observed during overseas service duty, Bert Coleman of Chiefland is finding success in sculpturing he started four years ago. After dabbling in art practically all his life, Coleman began working seriously with oils while in High School. Abstract painting had the greatest appeal but the flat surface seemed to handicap him in expressing art, so at the age of 28 he turned to wood carving.

Relying upon his memory of the Polynesian art he admired, Coleman's work shows its influence. Cypress, cherry and cedar are his choice of wood which experience has taught him to have thoroughly cured. Some day Coleman said he hopes to be able to turn from the sign painting business which he now pursues for a living and make sculpturing a full time job. "Doing Polynesian type sculpturing for interiors is what I's really like," said Coleman. In the meantime, his wife helps out with an office job and their small trailer park helps supply income for their family of four.

Interesting. It sounds like he didn't do restaurant decor, but interior decorating items...wonder if there are any signed pieces from him out there.

Wow, he was a sign painter too! I'd love to see his hand painted signs for exotic places like Pago Pago. Hope we can dig up some of his work now! My Great Grandfather was a sign painter in the 40's in New Jersey I wish I could see all the work he did. Good find, was this from the library archives?

M

Aloha Tony!

This came from the google news timeline. And I agree, a sign painter who also carves tikis could equal some really amazing signs!

Pages: 1 3 replies