Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Aztec Art

Pages: 1 8 replies

TC

I recently went to the massive Aztecs exhibit at the Royal Academy of Arts here in London (see http://www.aztecs.org.uk for more info). Anyway, for some reason, I have a feeling that many of you hardcore tiki mug collectors might like the following images.

Tiki Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-04-09 14:40 ]

C

I wonder when that pair of skull mugs will go up on eBay?

Thanks, Tiki Chris!

M
Mambo posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 7:42 PM

Those are great Tiki Chris!

I do have a small collection of Aztec / Mayan pieces.

Yea Mon.

On 2003-04-09 14:55, Cultjam wrote:
I wonder when that pair of skull mugs will go up on eBay?

Thanks, Tiki Chris!

i'd seriously consider buying a pair of replicas!

i'm glad folks like the pics. i don't know if this exhibit will make its way beyond london but if so (& it comes to your neck of the woods) check it out! a friend from mexico city was telling me you can't even see such a large & thorough collection of aztec art in mexico.

tiki chris

Gorgeous images, Tiki Chris! Thanks!

Were they all considered officially Aztec? The third (doghead spout jar) looked almost Mayan, or even a little pre-Inca Peruvian. (The turquoise and coral death mask looks so much like the jade Mayan ones, which doesn't surprise me. Beautiful!)

I'm grabbing the images and adding them to my ever-increasing Power-point on the pre-Columbian Indians for my students. Let me know if I can't use them, ok?

On 2003-04-10 14:04, Formikahini wrote:

Were they all considered officially Aztec? The third (doghead spout jar) looked almost Mayan . . .

Let me know if I can't use them, ok?

According to the info at the exhibit these were are Aztec. However, the Aztecs revered their supposed ancestors (Mayas, Olmecs, etc.) & went to great lengths to find, display & emulate their art. So, you may be on to something.

The exhibit even had a full room of pre-Aztec art that the Aztecs used. However, the images I posted are not from that room. The "doghead spout jar" (it's actually a deer) was in a room full of Aztec representations of the natural world.

Of course you can use the images. They are postcards that I purchased at the Royal Academy. Would you like more? If (BIG IF) I have time, I would be glad to post more. Let me know if you have a deadline.

As an educator, you may find it useful to check out the academy's website (see previous post). They may have free stuff for teachers or could lead you in the right direction.

Take Care,
Tiki Chris

Cool - thanks! Yeah, I went and checked out the webisie and saw all the mentions of deer and went back and looked at my wrongly named "dog-head". Figured, "nah, not worth editing the post." He just looked kinda Colima to me.

But yes, I would like more photos! Don't really know if TC folks want 'em, so you could just send them to my e-mail. No deadline - it's an ever-expanding project. I just need to know if the items are Aztec or pre-. (I don't want to teach the kids wrong!)

How cool to have pre-Columbian sources in London via Tiki Central! I LOVE this place!!

On 2003-04-11 10:09, Formikahini wrote:

1. "dog-head" . . .

2. send them to my e-mail . . .

3. How cool to have pre-Columbian sources in London via Tiki Central! I LOVE this place!!

1. no worries. it looks like a baby smokey the bear to me.

2. i emailed the address in your profile.

3. me too. excellent resource for so much tiki & beyond tiki!

smiles,
tiki chris

Waaaay vintage mugs, bet those saw some cocoa usage, mebbie even sum coca drinks if they got the S.American traders in. Like the Indian stuff. Anybody else have the Olmeca Tequila tiki mug? I have one but don't know anything about it. Looks like the giant Olmec stone head in Mexico.
keepin' it Tiki
Sneaky

Pages: 1 8 replies