Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki cake

Pages: 1 18 replies

T

Is this from the TV show "Ace of Cakes"? I wonder if it was for a Shag opening?

J

They did this tiki cake last year on the show for a birthday party that was more Jimmy Buffet than Tiki. I wish they'd copied better mugs. They reran this episode just a few days ago.

If it wasn't a Shag opening, I'd wonder about a few things. The cake itself, is probably still one of the best tiki styled cakes I've seen, and I hate fondant cakes. It seems to be a lazy way to make any cake look good.

On 2009-07-20 12:46, Tom Slick wrote:
I hate fondant cakes. It seems to be a lazy way to make any cake look good.

I agree 100% Tom.

B

Yuck to fondent - Yum to a cool-looking cake! Hey, my b-day's this Saturday - think they can whip up one of those by then??!! It would match my still-unfinished Tiki bar!

Cool cake, but fondant is just for looks. Then you have a sheetcake with REAL frosting in the back you cut up and serve. :) The problem with fondant is that it doesn't have any FAT! Fat+Sugar=Good to Eat. And, fat & sugar, along with salt & caffeine, make up the 4 basic food groups :D

B

On 2009-07-20 13:45, MadDogMike wrote:
Cool cake, but fondant is just for looks. Then you have a sheetcake with REAL frosting in the back you cut up and serve. :) The problem with fondant is that it doesn't have any FAT! Fat+Sugar=Good to Eat. And, fat & sugar, along with salt & caffeine, make up the 4 basic food groups :D

I'm going to make one of those food groups pyramid posters and distribute them to all the health classes in all the local public schools! There is one group that, unfortunately for me, would be a part of that pyramid - the nicotine group. There should probably be an alcohol group too. Okay, and maybe MJ too.

Monday @ 10:00 pm on TLC is a Charm City Cakes episode with a Tiki cake - apparently the Tiki breathes fire. Don't know if it's a re-run (I never watch it) so sorry if it's already been on and this has already been done before :)

L

On 2009-07-26 23:43, beadtiki wrote:
Monday @ 10:00 pm on TLC is a Charm City Cakes episode with a Tiki cake - apparently the Tiki breathes fire. Don't know if it's a re-run (I never watch it) so sorry if it's already been on and this has already been done before :)

Actually I think the fire breathing cake is being made on the show "Cake Boss" which is not "Ace of Cakes" the Charm City Cake show.

On 2009-07-27 06:14, leleliz wrote:

On 2009-07-26 23:43, beadtiki wrote:

Actually I think the fire breathing cake is being made on the show "Cake Boss" which is not "Ace of Cakes" the Charm City Cake show.

You're correct - I didn't see the name - just the type of program - didn't know there was more than one cake show! LOL

I watched part of the Cake Boss show or whatever it is. Pretty awful. Not nearly as good a show as Charm City Cakes. The tikis looked like carved pineapples. And as for fire breathing? That was a guy standing behind it, spitting flammable liquid thru the mouth of a large "tiki". Yes, spitting... all over the cake. Pretty gross.

[ Edited by: tiki shaker 2009-07-28 15:05 ]

Yeah, I watched that episode last night. My wife thought I would love it, but all I could think of was that the tiki cake itself and all the little tikis flanking it were really bad. At least they were brown and not, like, Party City colours.

HJ

That is one gonzo-hip cake. Anything which furthers Tiki is good!

baby cakes..

H

Tiki plus lots of sugar! I'm all over it!

Fondant? More like Fon-don't!

Am I right?

[ Edited by: Scamboogah 2009-08-09 12:56 ]

I'm just impressed by how elaborate the cake is... and how many issues of copyright infringement it bumps up against!

Lotsa work, for sure.

I just saw this one on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambermckenney/2721096296/in/set-72157616964387374/

Stands 13" tall, not including the base. She said she used modeling chocolate with cornstarch to give it a wood like texture.

Pages: 1 18 replies