Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cocktail chain "postcard"

Pages: 1 23 replies

B

Here on our local freecycle list, people often offer something called a "mystery box." What's in it? Who knows! Come pick it up and find out.

That got us thinking...what about a cocktail "mystery box"? Here's what we imagined:

• Post your address here. We'll send the first one.
  • We'll send you a postcard from our hometown/area, containing a recipe for 1 ORIGINAL drink that we enjoy.
  • You receive the postcard and make the drink.
  • Ideally, you post a photo on TC of the postcard you received and the drink you made. Commentary/feedback is a bonus.
  • You find a postcard, include a drink recipe of yours (or improve on the one you just received), and send it to the address after yours on the list.
    Additional karmic bonus points if you include a song to play while enjoying the cocktail.

We're locked & loaded with the first recipe to share, so if anyone's interested, sign up for a mystery cocktail in the mail. At the least, you might discover our next favorite drink, courtesy of a fellow refined TC'er!

P

Sounds like great fun!
Will I get rich if I drink it immediately?
Or if I don't drink it, will something on my body wither, die, and fall off?
Potential misfortune be damned,
Count me in!

B
Brice posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 12:03 AM

we just sent our recipe and a post card from Hawaii...we hope you enjoy the drink and can find another to post this to. If not screw it send your drink back to us and we can share a drink...lol..if another person posts please send your address as we did via a personal message and let the chain continue!

P

Got my postcard! Mahaloz!
Cool lava flow pic!
I'll mix up a"Big Island Ice Tea" after my liver recovers a bit from the "Tikikon" in Portland this last weekend..
Maybe people are reticent to do this because they don't want to give out their adress to people they don't know?

B
Brice posted on Fri, Aug 14, 2009 3:12 PM

On a stack of Grog Logs I am not gonna do anything with any address other than send drink recipes! I mean if I asked for a SS# and what ever rums you have in the house I can see a different side, but oh well guess it is a bust! Bummer! Would have enjoyed getting a drink from a fellow Tikiphile and share our love of booze!

[ Edited by: Brice 2009-08-15 02:12 ]

I'll PM Palapala our address, so she'll be ready, once she make the drink, and posts the results. Should we post the recipe, along with the picture of the card, drink and comments?

P

Here's the results of the recipe for "Big Island Ice Tea" from Brice in Kailua-Kona.
Good God Kane! one of these and you are "Pau Hana" for the rest of the day.
We garnished with a fresh Lychee on the side, and used SunKist sweet and sour.
Also included the postcard and all the booze ingredients.

One comment - We would probably omit the simple syrup - its a bit too sweet for our tastes, but very tasty otherwise.
Proceed with caution!
In the words of a good friend - "a real leg spreader" :)
We'll get the next postcard out soon.

Big Island Ice Tea

Sunday, August 16, 2009
1:47 PM

1 oz Pusser's Rum
1 oz T. Vic Dark
1 oz Lemon Hart
1 oz Liquor 43
1 oz apricot brandy
1 oz falernum
2 1/2 oz sweet & sour
1 oz OJ
1 1/2 oz simple syrup
Juice of 2 limes

Shake and pour over Ice - serves 2

Make me something Tripical. You know,a mai-tai,with 3 shots of rum!
My tiki mugs now on sale! see them at http:\palapalasmug.etsy.com

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-08-16 14:47 ]

B

You two couldn't have made our day any better, and that says a lot since it was the premiere of Mad Men! The photos are great! we are so glad you liked the drink and we will lighten on the simple syrup! We used Monin syrup, but that might have been the difference, bottom line you are a wonderful couple and glad we could pollute your livers! Have fun sending your recipe to the next in line!

P

Thanks again, Brice!
We sent out our postcard to Limbo Lizard 3 days ago...he's most likely in posession of it now...our Recipe:
DIRTNAPPLE!
suggested listening:
Pineapple Princess, by Annette Funicello.

On 2009-08-16 14:39, palapala wrote:
"Here's the results of the recipe for "Big Island Ice Tea" from Brice in Kailua-Kona...
In the words of a good friend - "a real leg spreader"
:)

Me: "Honey, I have a new drink for you to try!"

Palapala, just got your card, today (cool!). We'll try the 'Dirtnapple', this weekend, when we go to the houseboat (that's where my "serious" bar lives). That'll give me a chance to acquire the song, so we can imbibe in the prescribed ambiance. Will post results, soon after.
Meanwhile, 'Next Person'... PM me your address, so I can send you a postcard and recipe for my original drink...

Palapala's postcard and the excellent "Dirtnapple" drinks :down:

My "pineapple princess", sipping her Dirtnapple, on our boat, the 'Leaky Tiki' :down:

DIRTNAPPLE, by Palapala

1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup
2 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. coconut rum
1 oz. amber rum
Shake with ice, strain into ice filled glass, and sip, while listening to Annette Funicello sing, 'Pineapple Princess'.

I used Cruzan Coconut and Cruzan Estate Dark rums, and Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree. Very fruity and tasty; we both loved them. The first drink was gone too soon. But since I'm a fan of darker rums, when I made our second round, I had to try mine with Coruba dark Jamaican. Not so good, in this case; Palapala's original recipe was better.

We'll try the 'Big Island Ice Tea', as soon as I buy some Licor 43. OK, just need to get a postcard to send my recipe... if someone new wants it, say so. Otherwise, it goes to Brice!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Aug 26, 2009 5:25 PM

This looks like fun, can I get in?

Limbo L. sent you a PM.

Murph, sent a card to you about 2 weeks ago. No rush, but if it didn't arrive, let me know, and I'll send another.

B

Bummer it didn't work out.

M
Murph posted on Sun, Feb 21, 2010 5:56 PM

MY APOLOGIES!

I found my "Mystery Cocktail" postcard from LimboLizard!
We mixed them up this weekend.
The "Fateful Trip" was the perfect drink for The Waikiki Womb
as reruns of Gilligan's Island are always playing in the Womb.

THE FATEFUL TRIP

3/4 oz. Lime Juice
3/4 oz. Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. Bar Syrup
1/4 oz. Orgeat Syrup (we used TCer SparkleMark's homemade Orgeat)
1/2 oz. Apricot Brandy
1 oz. Gold Puerto Rican Rum
1 oz. Dark Jamaican Rum

Shake, pour in ice filled glass.
Drink while listening to the Gilligan's Island Theme.

This is one good tasting drink Lil' Buddy!
We all had a couple of these and had a wonderful "3 hour tour" and never left the bar.
By popular vote it is now a permanent fixture on the Waikiki Womb Drink List.

Limbo's Postcard

The Fateful Trip on our uncharted Island

The next thirsty soul send me a PM.

WooT! The caretakers of Hinky Drinks at Lund Manor Estate Farms are up for the task!

M
Murph posted on Sun, Feb 21, 2010 6:22 PM

On 2010-02-21 18:10, Haole'akamai wrote:
WooT! The caretakers of Hinky Drinks at Lund Manor Estate Farms are up for the task!

Excellent! We will be sending you a "Mystery Cocktail" postcard this week!

Yay, your thread is alive, again, Brice!

So glad you enjoyed the 'Fateful Trip', Murph, and honored that it "made the list" at the Waikiki Womb. It was debuted to fellow TCers the Tropical_Icebergs and Rumbuddy (and husband), last summer, during a cruise on our houseboat, the 'Leaky Tiki'.
Of course, if I'd known you'd wait till February to try it, I might have sent you a nice, belly-warming winter drink. :D

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-02-23 06:25 ]

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 26, 2010 1:22 PM

Our version of the Dark & Stormy is on its way north to Haole'akamai.

We threw on our PJs (our Oscar Night tradition), made Murph's Dark n' Stormys (new Oscar Night tradition?) and watch The Academy Awards. They were deeelish (the drinks, I mean! The show - meh, tho I'm glad The Hurt Locker took home best film)

Now, who's ready to be the next recipient?

So who's ready to be the next link in the "Cocktail Postcard chain?!

Hey, you forgot to include the details of Murph's recipe, so the rest of us can play!

Whhooops, my bad! Here ya go:

bump
To recap, we've had the following original recipes sent:
Big Island Ice Tea
The Dirtnapple
The Fateful Trip
Murph's Dark & Stormy

Who wants a postcard with an original drink recipe from Haole'akamai? PM your mailing address, and let's keep the chain going.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-03-25 14:20 ]

Pages: 1 23 replies