Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Challenge for the Les Baxter 101 Strings Experts

Pages: 1 5 replies

Most of the regulars here know that Les Baxter did a few albums with 101 Strings circa 1970.

The best of these, by general consensus, is the amazing "Que Mango," which was reissued on CD courtesy of Scamp Records.

The others, most of us might agree, are more generic easy listening records.

Here is the challenge:

Around this time, 101 Strings released an erotica album. Three tunes from this album showed up as bonus tracks on the CD reissue of "Astro Sounds from the Year 2000."

One of these tunes, "Whiplash," sounds suspiciously like Les Baxter. It almost sounds like a "Que Mango" outtake with overdubbed female orgasm sounds.

As someone who has listened to and analyzed a lot of Les Baxter music for a long time, this track sounds like either a Les Baxter arrangement; or an accurate approximation of Les Baxter by a very skilled arranger.

Does anyone have any information or opinions on this?

Not to sidetrack my own post, but tangentially related to this topic:

Anyone who loves "Que Mango" really needs to seek out the Nelson Riddle/101 Strings album. It conveys that very same air of international 1970s jet-set decadence that "Que Mango" so perfectly delivers.

I really hope that Jack, Jeff, and Randy weigh in on this one.

Aloha Drew,

The Les Baxter/101 Strings albums represent some very interesting material. I have four albums that Les Baxter contributed in someway, either composing, conducting and/or arranging. This doesn't include the compilations.

Below is the abum in question. It is one of the most difficult to find (besides Astro Sounds which is incredibly rare). "Whiplash" is credited to Jefe/Huckridge, other tracks are credited to Monty Kelly (who also recorded the Tropicana LP with the 101 Strings) and three tracks are credited to Les Baxter. These songs are "On a Warm Night","Besame Mas (Kiss Me More)", and "Felicia My Love." They are all pretty similiar in sound quality and style. The orgasmic sounds of Bebe Barron were overdubbed on a few tracks and is hilarious.

Besides "Que Mango" another Baxter/101 Strings album is the often overlooked Million Seller Hits. This album contains tracks that rival even "Que Mango" IMHO. Though more contemorary in sound it does have that touch of exotic brilliance we have come to expect from Les Baxter.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. There are also some 101 Strings albums from this period credited to Les Thatcher. Is a real guy or was this Les Baxter using a different name for contractual reasons?

On 2009-07-27 05:00, OnyaBirri wrote:
Thanks Jeff. There are also some 101 Strings albums from this period credited to Les Thatcher. Is a real guy or was this Les Baxter using a different name for contractual reasons?

Possibly.

He did change his name a few times for films like "Casanova" for the film All the Young Lovers or "BAX" for Blood Sabbath.

What albums are credited to Les Thatcher?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Not sure I still have that Les Thatcher. It was on Alshire and had a black cover with yellow typeface. I think it was quad and was one of those "Today's Hits" kind of records, late 60s or early 70s.

Thanks for the info on "Whiplash." I wonder if Les could have done the arrangement, regardless of who the credited composer is. It definitely has his trademarks, but I'm sure another arranger could have been applying the same stylistic touches.

Jeff, I was mistaken about Les Thatcher. It is not 101 Strings although it is on Alshire and in Quad. The album is called "Multiple Guitars of Les Thatcher" and apparently there is a guitarist with that name. He worked in Britain and among other things played on John Keating's "Space Experience." Sorry for the misleading info.

Pages: 1 5 replies