Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Retro Elevator Mock-up Project

Pages: 1 19 replies

At the urging of TC's own Little Lost Tiki, I'm posting this because he thought some of the 'ohana might like to see it.

My daughter Caris is a first year interior design student. For her final project in her summer class, she has had to come up with a theme, then design and create a mock-up interior for an elevator. Because she's surrounded by tiki culture all day long in the shop (House of Tiki), what else would she design but a tiki/mid-century modern themed elevator?

I'm pretty proud of her efforts for a few reasons:

1. She promoted the use of sustainable resources (bamboo wall & floor coverings)
  2. She's promoting and perpetuating the Tiki Culture/Lifestyle to a new generation.
    and 3. Well, she's my daughter, so pride by default.

According to Liloti, it's a pretty "swanky" elevator. We take that as the highest compliment! Mahalos Kinny...you're awesome.

M

Great work, I wish I could ride in an elevator like that with some robert drasnin music playing quietly in the background.
Love the mini shag prints on the wall.

We need this at the Hanalei Hilton for Oasis!
i'll say it again....what a Swanky elevator!

T

All elevators should look like that...

I'm giving her an A+

Up & down in tiki style, groovy! :)

Pretty cool! I especially like how she made faux bamboo from craft sticks. Nice mask art, too - very authentic retro vibe.

Awww..you guys are terrific. Mahalo nui for the kind comments. Caris and I appreciate them!

This is awesome! Makes me want a tiki elevator to ride down in to get the tiki bar.

A

The problem with an elevator like that is that you wouldn't want to leave, and eventually security would have to be called. Great job!

N

I should forward it to my dad, who constructs elevator shafts :)
The bright colours are a refreshing change from the claustrophobic stainless steal interiors that elevators usually have. Good job!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 5:58 PM

Thats awesome! Nice work. Make sure you let us know how she gets marked :D

OTIS would be proud!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 6:13 AM

This should have SHAG carpeting!

This makes me want to take all the clothes out of my walk-in closet and convert it into a "standing room only" tiki elevator so I can listen to my exotica music as my imagination escapes into the womb-like tiki palaces of my mind.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 7:53 AM

1st stop...THIRTEENTH FLOOR!

Ben; She considered calling it "TikiOtis", but thought it might go over the class's heads (no pun intended). She was right; it did.

Cammo; It DID have red Shag carpeting (the actual..great minds think alike), but she decided to keep it bamboo because it would easier to clean up party fouls, aka spilt rum (who does that?).

Mahalos everyone for your cool comments and again Kinny for your kind kokua. She texted me from class today and said she got 150 points of a possible 150, so I guess her prof liked it too. I'm pretty sure this won't be the end of her tiki theme designs, so she'll be in good company.

Pua

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 2:07 PM

WAY TO GO CARIS!!

BT

Swanky indeed. Finally, Dick Dale will be known as elevator music :)

Great job!

W

That's a great little elevator, now it just needs a tiki bar to take you to, though I guess bar building probably won't be a class project any time soon.

Pages: 1 19 replies