Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

midwest tiki themed art show....CANCELLED !!!!

Pages: 1 16 replies

hi all-

.....Our friends the nerve gallery in oak park, illinois are planning a tiki themed art show on sept 5th, featuring tiki/tropical themed art..there will be live music T.B.A and a rum distributor introducing a new line of product. Nerve Gallery has had wine tasting/shows in the past and this is similiar but without the wine...this time it's rum, hence the tiki theme.....that said, this is a ticketed event which means you need to purchase tickets for it (more on that in a later ). The show will be hosted by 2 galleries.....nerve gallery will have the art and the band.....the dancing crow gallery will have the booze and bar set up.......

but what we need now is more artists interested in displaying/selling their work...crafts are welcome (i.e. tiki necklaces, trinkets, whatever, as long as it stays within the theme).

i know it's short notice but this was just handed to me yesterday......you can contact me by sending me a p.m. or contact dean at nerve gallery in oak park if you are interested at:

http://www.thenervegallery.com

.....i'll make sure i forward your info to dean if you contact me.

please pass this along to any one you think would be interested in showing their work.......

..for those of you artists going to tiki oasis, this would be a good chance to give us folks in the midwest that are not going a chance to buy some of your art that may not have sold at oasis.....why pack it away for the next event?? send it to nerve gallery.....

thanks!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-17 18:57 ]

bump

RH

Tipsy - did you post this in the Artists' section and I missed it?

If not, try that and you should get swamped.

I'll see what I can do...

thanks- i posted it here cause i thought it would get the most visibility for all......i foolishly assume that tiki folk are well rounded enough to check all new post listings as opposed to going directly to their niche threads....LOL

the response has been pretty good so far....i've sent a number of artists info to nerve gallery....I know a few artists have been contacting them directly at the gallery as well....

by the way...i'm not a big fan of flower paintings in general, but your hibiscus painting is out of this world cool...the detail is incredible it looks so real. the other flower painting on your site is right up there too....you have a natural knack for rendering the organic....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-07 05:16 ]

you need to purchase tickets?
whuh?

love,
a well-rounded artist guy who reads other posts...

On 2009-08-07 10:05, little lost tiki wrote:
you need to purchase tickets?
whuh?

love,
a well-rounded artist guy who reads other posts...

hey- i'm just the messenger,...here in the midwest, they sometimes have hoity toity events that require tickets....keeps the looky loos and riff raff to a minimum....separates those that are there to see and purchase art from the bums who only show up to see and be seen and free load on booze and food......and not purchase a thing because they're cheapskates.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-07 11:47 ]

RH

Tipsy - would you or Dean post or PM interested artists some general info about the show:

Number/size of pieces.

Price range gallery prefers.

Do galleries cover return shipping.

Is there a contract.

Percentage of gallery's take.

Is art insured.

Due date for art at gallery.

Schedule of show (not on Nerve website).

Return of art cycle.

Method/schedule of payment.

Anything else useful.

...You know, just a couple of things like that.

I might be in Chicago/Oak Park around that time... cool eh? (Bob & Doug Mackenzie accent)

Thanks.

RH

Oh yeah, thanks very much for the compliment.

I'm lucky I saw this, I rarely have time to get over here.

here's some info dean sent me today in an email...i will ask him about the specifics you requested.....

thanks for your interest.
here is the dope...
we at the nerve gallery have tossed around the idea of a tiki (culture) based event for some time.
although casual observers of the culture we wish to put on a cool as hell event
that all the artists and performers can be proud to hang their names on...
we have the opportunity to work with a brazilian based liqueur manufacturer
who wants to get his product a foothold here (it is a flavored rum, i.e. passion fruit, lime etc.) we would feature tropical cocktails made with his product.
this would be a private event that would require a pre-purchased ticket and be co-hosted by our neighboring gallery "the dancing crow" they would get the bar set up and have ambient tropical music. we would have the band set up in "the nerve gallery" and have the lions share of the artwork.
we are shooting from the hip on this and want to get the event scheduled for saturday september 5th
(very freakin' short notice i know).
we are soliciting help for...

1. artists and craftspeople, we jury the work
    we charge a twenty dollar hang fee but only take a 20% commission on work sold.
    we will guarantee at least eight linear feet (hung salon style) maybe more depending
    on the number of artists responding.
    there is a neighborhood event scheduled for later in the month so your work would get good exposure through that as well. (the work will hang until the end of the month when we install our halloween show.)

2. a genre performer or band who can work for very little money but could sell their product
    (we are currently negotiating with "the cocktail preachers" and "the penthouse playboys".....)

3. we would love to have some genre specific collectables as well.
    it would be great to hook up with a mug artist or collector to sell some wares...

please get back to me asap if you can be on board.
any suggestions are appreciated as well.

thank you,
dean hacker,
the nerve gallery

....here's the questions you posed and replies......

number and size of pieces -

we usually guarantee six to eight linear feet hung salon style (so we can double and triple stack) it really depends on the artists work.

if we like the work we make room, but we have also had to jury out a piece or two if we get a lot of work.
i'm thinking some of the members do not "get the concept" for this show so i am depending on guest artists this time around and my gut feeling is the more the merrier.

price range gallery prefers -

times is tough, lately we have sold work under the hundred dollar mark, prints go well, jewelry, small paintings, ceramics,etc (i would love to sell some of the munktiki mugs but do not know if they will deal or not) we have had artwork hang for two grand or up
before the economy crapped we sold at a median price of one-fifty to three hundred fifty bucks regularly.

does the gallery cover return shipping of artwork -

we encourage local work but have shipped back art from as far away as australia, when we opened half of our art was shipped back and forth but it really depends on the artist and the size and weight of the work. i got burned pretty bad once so am careful in regards to that.

is there a contract -

yes i will attach it as a simple text file and as just text,
hopefully it comes over in a format you can use.

is the art insured -

in certain situations up to the wholesale price. i have content insurance but depending on the situation would have to pay out of pocket. we have had one instance of minor (frame) damage in three years of operation.

when do you need the art by -

we would like it in house by tuesday september 1st.

schedule of the show (it's not posted on your site !!)

sorry, i am a ludite when dealing with computers and ed is supposed to be updating but has neglected it lately .
the show will run through september- we can keep up the work the weekend of october 3rd and 4th but would suggest picking it up if possible that weekend. we open our halloween show on october 9th and 10th

return of art cycle (how long after the show will it be returned) -

asap we have limited storage space.
again this is a case by case situation. being that we are only charging a twenty buck hang fee
i do not want to shoot myself in the foot by spending more to ship art back...

method/schedule of payment for sold works -

sales payable within 30 days of shows close, but usually sooner.

and any other things you feel would be necessary to add to this...

i think it is all covered.

thank you again,

dean

..I just want to add that if anyone wants a copy of the contract, email me or p.m. me your email address and i will send you one out via email.

-tipsy

RH

It's kind of a pain how many questions come up for this kind of show.

I'm sure the Hanging Fee is $20 per piece submitted, and that the total artist space is 8 linear feet, not 8' per artist. The contract should explain the rest.

Thanks for dealing with all this, Tipsy.

I sold the red hibiscus painting you singled out, so I'm trying to finish another quickly (with oil paints - arrgghhh!!). And I normally DO NOT like flower paintings either!

On 2009-08-08 19:16, Robb Hamel wrote:
It's kind of a pain how many questions come up for this kind of show.

I'm sure the Hanging Fee is $20 per piece submitted, and that the total artist space is 8 linear feet, not 8' per artist. The contract should explain the rest.

Thanks for dealing with all this, Tipsy.

I sold the red hibiscus painting you singled out, so I'm trying to finish another quickly (with oil paints - arrgghhh!!). And I normally DO NOT like flower paintings either!

i'm not sure, so don't quote me but i think the hanging fee is a one shot fee regardless of # of pieces you have in the show but i will double check...

..okay the official word on the hanging fee is this......it's a one time $20 fee regardless of how many pieces you have in the show ....NOT $20 per piece.

RH

I like the sound of that!

sorry to break the news.....but i just recieved this in an email.....

we need to cancel the tiki event.
i blame myself for conceptual over exuberance
and the inability to realize that these things really
need more time to develop if they are to be successful.
i regret any inconvenience and humbly apologize
to those that are mid stride but unfortunately
we have not heard back from any guest artists
and it is hard to put on an art opening without art.
i also apologize for my inability to engage some of our own artists
at the gallery who have not supported or understood the idea.
the folks that stepped up were the "Rio D" folks with the liquor.
Steve and his band "The Cocktail Preachers" Bruce the ukulele guy
and David Krys who worked hard to try and make this happen.
these are the folks that this will hurt the most and again i am sorry.
it is my hope that we can still pull together a tiki theme show in the future.
thank you for trying to understand.
regrets,
dean

T

That's disappointing to hear, Tips. Hope the show relaunches in the near future...I may then have two pieces to submit!

i admit that i thought it was abit ambitious to try to pull off on such short notice....maybe someday soon down the road we can try again...

Pages: 1 16 replies