Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki tOny's Artwork for Tiki Oasis 2009 (New PHOTOS pg 2!!!)

Pages: 1 31 replies

T

Aloha, with only 2 weeks until the greatest Tiki event on the west coast, I thought I'd start to post images of what will be in the Beachcomber shack this year. I'll be to the left of the stage if you want to find me!

I'll have about 20 PuPu Mugs, which is my first new mug in almost 3 years. The name Pupu came from a mispell of my "Papua" mug in Jay Strongman's "Tiki Mugs" book. I thought it would be a perfect name for my next mug! PuPu will be $40 for mug alone, or $75 box set with ceramic swizzle, necklace, print and a story on the box.

I will also have a handful of Moss Green Lekookoos and Antique Brown Lekookoos for $40

Volcano Island Bowls will range from $75-$160 depending on detail.

Monkey Heads for $30 or $40 for the big Monkey Heads

Handmade Volcanos for $20-$30 depending on size. These are good for filling with inexpensive Rubbing Alcohol (90% proof) and they burn for an hour. Or you can put them in Scorpian Bowls you already own. I'll have different sizes for different bowls.

Handmade skulls for $30

Some of the last Papua's($30) and Shrunky's ($20)

I will only have a few handpainted mugs. The one pictured below was sold many moons ago, but I will have 1 or 2 of each mug design in a handpainted version for $80-$200 depending on detail.

I will have probably only 2 or 3 driftwood carved Tiki Birds hanging in a perch. The one below is sold, but it will be similar. Beaks are about 12" long $200

Blowfish mugs $40-$80 depending on size... I'll only have 2 or 3.

Coco Joe's and A HIP inspired Resin Tiki but made in ceramic. They have a hole on the back, so you could hang it if you wanted or just set it on your desk! $20

Here are a sampling of my new ceramic Tiki necklaces! These will be at an all time low price. I'm going back in time, like when I use to sell my driftwood tiki necklaces for $5 back at my first Tiki Oasis in 03. All my mold made ceramic necklaces will be only $5!!!! I'll have hand sculpted versions with rhinestone eyes for $20 too!

And I'll have paintings!!! Small framed 8x10's and 4x6's are anywhere from $100-$200 Both acrylic on canvas and BLACK VELVET!!!

The painting below sold, but I'll post the new ones in the next week or so!!!

The Mai Kai painting is available $300 framed 16"x20"

If that's not enough, I'll post updates on the current stuff as it comes out of the kiln or gets finished!!! I don't plan on doing much sleeping the next two weeks, so if you need to talk to someone at 3am, I should be up! When the tide is high and the swell is mellow, you'll find me in the Beachcomber shack!
aLoHa,
-tOny

Live like a Beachcomber! http://www.TikiTony.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/tikitony

Edited because some photos were missing!

[ Edited by: tikitony 2009-08-04 09:57 ]

[ Edited by: tikitony 2009-08-04 17:49 ]

[ Edited by: Tikitony 2009-08-13 09:15 ]

L

I LOVE all your work..damn now there is another TCer whose work I feel like I just "discovered" on here that I have to add to my list of future purchases. I really need a trust fund for you arteests!

I have to say that the boxed set is fab and I love all the mugs...but the driftwood birds are my favorite.

Awesome work..and awesome to see it all together like this!

LT

I'm really looking forward to stimulating the economy!

T

Great looking stuff, Tony. I can personally say that I love the Pupu, Lekookoo & monkey head mugs I picked up from you at the Tonga Hut last Saturday; they have taken their rightful places on my mug shelf.

Good luck at the Oasis. This is the third time in a row we've had a scheduling conflict with the Oasis but nothing's going to keep us from going next year!

fantastic stuff tony! yeah liz, you definitely need some tiki tonys in your collection. the hanging tuki tukis are great. i have one along with paintings, carvings, pendants and custom mugs. i can't wait to get my pupu and mystery art piece. a few months ago i asked tony to make something for me with a budget of $200. i told tony it could be a painting, carving, ceramic or any combination. i have no idea what to expect, except that i'm sure i will dig it. see you and alene soon!

L

On 2009-08-03 21:28, kingstiedye wrote:
fantastic stuff tony! yeah liz, you definitely need some tiki tonys in your collection. the hanging tuki tukis are great. i have one along with paintings, carvings, pendants and custom mugs.

Ya know..I hope your neighbors don't notice when I back up the UHaul to your place when you are down at Oasis there Bullet...I am sure you will be coming back with lots of new art so I will be a pal and help you make some room for it :wink:

Make sure you post what your surprise art piece is when you get back...and ignore those empty shelves in your house. Think of it as cleaning out the old to make room for the new!!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-08-03 22:05 ]

So much great stuff Tony!

You truly live the beachcomber life, and the fun shows in your work.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all in person, and seeing you and your wahine again!

Best of luck as you work your way towards Oasis!

I just finished boxing all my work... we head out this Saturday!

See you in San Diego!

Tony, Your work is always awesome! I'm looking foward to seeing all the
new stuff in person at Oasis.

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 5:53 AM

Stuff like this is exactly why I'm kicking myself for not going to Oasis this year - Beautiful stuff, tOny!!!, as always!!!!

great stuff Tony , it was good to see you at Tonga hut Saturday!

Amy

Tony,your work is always so fun and playful!
looking forward to seein all these happy products in less than 2 weeks!

:P wHo iS tHis Tiki tOny cHaRacteR? Is bEacHcOmbiNg ilLiGaL?? :P

T

Hey Thanks everyone, you are too kind with those words your slinging around. Beachcombing is only illegal if you take the rocks, other than that, its fair game on the beach.. Ha ha ha Jonesey! I'll be sending you an email next week!

Thanks for all the PM's too, I realize what you East Coasters miss out on, when I see all the cool stuff people are bringing to Oasis. And sorry I can't bring as much stuff to the Hukilau, but my bags are only so big!

Made some Volcano Island bowls and PuPu's today! These replies keep me pumped up and motivate me to keep working until I collapse! Luckily for me, tonight Alene and I along with Swampfire Doug are going to enjoy the evening at the Rincon Room with some exotic Indian Food!

aLoHa and A BIG MAHALO to you all for checking this thread!

H

WOW! Your work is looking really sharp Tony! Fun stuff. Can't wait to see these up close in San Diego!

RH

Really fine stuff. Even the design of the packaging is excellent.

Have a great Oasis.

B

Exotic food and drinks with Swamp Fire & TikiTony discussing art and Oasis.

I know Tony has more cool stuff for Tiki Oasis not shown here

T

Thanks HoDadHank and Robb. I couldn't step to your velvet game, so I gotta juggle ceramics and driftwood too!

So here's what I was able to produce this week... plus some stuff not pictured. Thanks for all the emails and PM's, it really keeps me pumped up and working late! I even got to surf Malibu today! although I had to get up at 6am, which is unheard of in the Beachcomber shack.

These are all NOT GLAZED yet, so who knows what tornado of colors with hit them by next Saturday!

Hand Made Marquesan Bowls. Ranging in size from shot glass to cereal bowl size. $10-$30 The smallerish ones were designed to hold a tea light and uplight those precious Tiki Mugs for the next Pupu party you have!

I wish I could swim away with these little puffers. Each one I make gets bigger and bigger! $30-$50

This is the mini print that comes with the Box set of PuPu! It was professionally printed on postcard stock and if all goes well, the light green glows in black light and glows in the dark.

Lastly, this is Dave Cohen aka Squid's brain child.. The original Pig head with an apple in its mouth was given to me and many other talented artists to customize.. (he's got a post on it) So, I added the little monkey peering out and Marquesan tatoo designs!

Great, great stuff you're cranking on TT!
Dig your version of the pig!
One more week!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 5:20 PM

I call first dibs on the pendants and that Marquesan bowl! Tony, please glaze it red or orange gloss on the inside so we can sip Kava from it!

T

I'm so sad I can't make it to Oasis this year and stock up on your wares. Will you have anything on your website after the Oasis?

T

See you all Saturday Morning!!!

These fish are my Wife, Alene's newest creation. Inspired by the mid century fish, she has created quite a school. Just wait till you see them all glazed!!!

To see bigger photos go to my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tikitony/

K
kirby posted on Thu, Aug 13, 2009 9:33 AM

TikiTony is the best part of Tiki Oasis!!!!

Tony definitely has a talent and vision like no other.
Can't wait to see his new stuff at Oasis .

T

TikiTony is the best

B

Your really off da hook Tony!!! :) Mighty Tasty Sir!

What a quiver there,Tony!
you must need a 100 bandaids to keep all those creative juices from seeping out!

T

Thanks fellow artists! More ceramics coming out of the kiln 2morow morning! I even got my Mom to string all those necklaces for me, good ol' Ma! Next summer I'm getting an unpaid intern, and no they don't get their own Glock, they all share one! (Life Aquatic)

Tiki Tony your art would make an amazing kids book! The paintings, drawings and mugs remind me of tikified Dr Suess characters. BIG fan!

with giddy anticipation, i approached tony to find out what my mystery art piece would be.

but what is it????? lower the curtain, please!

of course, it's my very own monkey puppet show! made of found wood, ceramics and burlap. the skulls on the top of the box can be pulled to make his arms move. the skulls at the side of the box can be pulled to raise the curtain. the skull he's wearing on his head is removable as is his puny lil brain. don't forget to leave a tip in his red marq bowl! i'm stoked to own this. i knew if i asked tony to make something up for me, he would come through with something fun and different. it was fantastic having no idea what to look forward to. i never woulda dreamed of a puppet show, but i can't imagine my tiki room without it now. i hope we can make this an annual thing, with me giving you my budget a few months before oasis. mahalo cuz!

amazing stuff tOny! I wish I was able to see them in person at Oasis. Maybe next year.

King - that is one very sweet piece of interactive artwork. the mind of Sr. Tiki tOny is a unique one! AND he's a swell guy to boot!

Hey Tony, did you order your red cap and speedo?

Aloha Bullet, thanks for the photos, I just saw this today! I had a lot of fun coming up with something that would rub shoulders with the finest art collection around! Next up is making a puppet of King Kukulele for his Vend-O-matic CD sale case. You'll be able to turn a lever that starts a music box that makes Kukulele dance and strum the uke. He'll also have a toucan that talks to people as they walk by. Plus a box that sucks the money from a slot, a wild monkey squawks and yelps inside a crate and hands you a CD!

Thanks polynesiac! Red cap... Yes. Speedo... Not yet. Corespondance stock and Steve zisou addidas.... U betcha!

that King Kukulelee CD vend-o-matic is gonna be incredible,Tony!
love yer brain!

Pages: 1 31 replies