Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

A review of Trader Vic's Chicago

Pages: 1 5 replies

Saw this review of the new Chicago Trader Vic's. It seems spot on, and one of the few reviews that really seem to "get it."

http://driftersden.com/?p=19

R

I just posted the following on the Drifter's Den website:

I stopped by the Chicago Trader Vics while in the Windy City last month and found that the food indeed was improving. This is in no small part due to the enthusiastic efforts of the Executive Sous Chef, Hans Robert Aschbacher who also happens to be the son of the Executive Chef that Vic’s hired away from Smith & Wolensky. He is een working with folks at corporate to go back into the Vic’s recipie archives to and resurect old versions of dishes that have morphed over the years. Hans Robert has a genuine enthusiasm for Trader Vic’s and it’s history. I expect even better things on my next visit.

Adam and his bar boys (Beau, Octavio, and Mario) are keeping up their end of things as well. The cocktails were done well and with the proper skills so rarely found in bars these days. Again the bar staff exhibits the same enthusiasm as the kitchen staff when it comes to the Trader Vic’s brand. Also they are still looking to bring live bands (surf, exotica) in on some nights for the lounge.

Good! I hope your're right, because lsat time I dropped by the experience was pretty much the same as the reviewers. Decent (though not great) food, excellent drinks, and god-awful music. Country, 1980's pop and yes, Jimmy Buffett. The place is spot on decoration-wise, though, and we had a wonderful time, but "jarring" is the perfect word to describe the music.

We will be in Chicago the week of Sept 9th...is there a best night to visit Trader Vic's...does any one have any recomendations of anything Tiki to see while in Chicago....8)

In addition to TV's, make the drive outside of town to the Hala Kahiki - well worth the visit!

http://www.hala-kahiki.com/

GK

R

If you head to the 'burbs to hit Hale Kahiki then also stop by Chef Shangri-La.

Pages: 1 5 replies