Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Restocking the bar, need advice.

Pages: 1 6 replies

UJ

Hey gang,

I'm going to be restocking my bar with the basics and I need some advise. I'm going to have to restock my bar soon and since money has been tight over the past few years, I haven't been able to afford higher quality spirits. This time is different and I would like to restock my bar with some better quality. I live in an area where finding a little known brand will be scarce around here. I would like to get Lemon Hart, but I would like some suggestions on other good brands to try that might be at the store. Actually for all the different liquors. I would like to stay away from known brands (like Jack Daniels, Bacardi, and such), the only brand name I plan on getting is some Wild Turkey, for old times sake.

Another reason why I'm asking because the closest liquor store is 45 miles. So I can't go and browse at my leisure. I wish I could, but I would like to either make a straight shot and come home. Thanks guys! I figured this would be the best place to ask.

A

Does the liquor store you're planning to go to by any chance have a web site with info about their stock? People here could give you all sorts of suggestions, but without knowing what's available you could have a worthless list.

Having said that, here's a web page about stocking a tiki bar that you may find useful (including the responses at the end):

http://drinkboston.com/2007/06/23/how-to-stock-a-tiki-bar/

UJ

Good idea!

Well I looked and there's only one who has inventory online, or even an online presence.
Remember, I live in West Texas, so it's not surprising that I found one. And it's not much on inventory, I know they have alot more brands in stock.
So here is the one that did have a site: Pinkies
Perhaps if there is a brand in Dallas (that's not here) I could get it at the end of the month.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2009-08-07 10:00 ]

S

Are you wanting rum advice, or all booze advice?

I think there are great rums that are also cheap. You can get all sorts of good stuff under $29, and often under $25 a bottle.

Appleton V/X and Extra, Mount Gay Eclipse, St. James Royal Ambre, Myers... I think it's easier to say what to avoid...

Wish you'd made it to Austin for the deal, last weekend. I stopped by Spec's and stocked up on Lemon Hart Demerara 80ยบ for $17.38. Also, St James Royal Ambre, which is on sale for $17.99, thru Dec. Can't get 'em in Dallas.
If you give plenty of lead time, it might be possible to put in an order with someone in Austin or Houston. Have them bring it, when they come up, and leave it with one of us in Dallas area. Then grab it, when you make it to town. Just throwin' out ideas.

What kinds of cocktails are you wanting to make?

Are you wanting to stock specifically for Tiki drinks, or for a broad selection of classic and/or new cocktails.

I can recommend lots of Gins, Tequilas, Rums, even a couple of Vodkas......

Well, I'm stocking my bar with the basics, and I'm looking for some brands I should try. Brands that aren't well known brand names. Like what Rum, Vodka or Bourbon should I look for that you think I would enjoy.

Sorry if it confused anyone. Sometimes it only makes sense to me, LOL.

Limbo Lizard, we wanted to make it out, but just a bad time to be low on funds. We want to make it out next year, and I'll stock up on Lemon Hart if I don't find any here (would be a miracle to find it here, but worth a shot).

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2009-08-09 11:30 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies