Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Moving to LA

Pages: 1 5 replies

After asking for recommendations for our vacation in CA this month we ironically just made the decision to move there! I got an offer I couldn't refuse and I'll be driving out to LA (Chatsworth/Simi Valley area) to start work in the first week of September!

The family will follow when the house sells (who knows how long that will take gulp) so it's going to be painful for a while, but in the long run we think it's a great move. Coming from Atlanta I'm looking forward to being close to the beaches in the Tiki capital of the world :)

I'll have plenty of spare time in evenings and weekends, so I'll look forward to meeting a bunch of you at the socal events this fall!

T

Welcome to Cali-Fornee

You can check out anytime, but you can never leave. :)

G
gonzo posted on Tue, Aug 11, 2009 9:48 AM

I used to live in Montgomerey and now I live in Ventura. Here are some things Ive noticed.

The people arent very friendly here in Ventura county. Striking up a conversation with a stranger isnt very common. Eye contact is equally rare.

Folks are in an incredible hurry here for no apparent reason. Its probably because they work long hours then commute a good distance on top of it. My coworkers consider the drive home as some sort of a drag race. I chatted with the postman in the post office yesterday very briefly probably less than 2 minutes. The fellow in the front of the line behind me was having a fit when I left.

The weather is great. Simi is a bit hotter than the coast and the smog there is the worst in the county by the weather report. The prevailing winds blows all of Ventura and Oxnards bad air right up towards Simi Valley.

You probably already know about house prices.

If you want to live near the beach consider Ventura its about 35-40 minutes away from there. I know folks who work in Chatsworth.

Ventura is a quaint little town. I really like midtown. Ive been here for 21 years now.

I could say more if you want.

thanks gonzo, that's very helpful. in fact we were only talking about Oxnard area this morning when someone else said the same thing. They commute to chatsworth and consider it a good compromise. Being close to the beach is a big plus for us (with 3 kids) so we will look into Ventura a lot more.

G
gonzo posted on Tue, Aug 11, 2009 1:23 PM

Midtown Ventura is a very walkable city. Oxnard or anywhere else in the county most definantly isnt. If you have kids, living somewhere where they can walk or ride a bike to do whatever it is they want to is a big plus for me.

Try the 93001 zipcode.

Bienividos a California!

That's weird: I didn't know all that crap north of Orange County was still in California.

It's a good thing you're coming out here with a paying job because we need people like you to pay taxes so people like me can sit around and wait for our unemployment checks, scammed disability benefits, and undeserved free food and medical care! As long as you're willing to work: I won't have to!

Just don't start calling it "Cali..."

You came at the right time. It's a paradise here ever since we passed prop 215!
Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 5 replies