Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What to do with an old aloha shirt.

Pages: 1 8 replies

J

My favorite hawaiian shirt is an old, orange Reyn Spooner, with a subtle reverse pattern, not unlike the green background here at Tikicentral.

I've worn it so often that when you hold it up to the light you can see where the fabric is getting thin.

And so I'm afraid to wear it anymore, but I'm not sure what to do with it, or how to respectfully retire this old, trusted friend.

Your suggestions are gratefully look for.

thanks

j

L

I used one of my fav barkcloth shirts as the background of one of my fav tiki images like a matting.

I covered the cardboard with the shirt wrapping it like a package, took double sided tape and stuck the image in the middle then slid it all into glass. I used a longer than normal nail to hand it on so the excess fabric could tuck behind the frame and not be exposed.

I plan on making some of my shirts into pillows, a purse and a baby quilt...but the pic frame was the easiest to accomplish and also kept the shirt in one piece.

Worked great and the shirt won't be ruined in anyway. I will try to get a pic of it to show you.

Ala retiring an American flag, you might hold a solemn ceremony. With some exotica music, Mai Tai's to toast and tiki torches to to send the shirt up in smoke to the heavens. But then, I like Liz's idea too.

Aloha shirts make GREAT throw pillows! If you have outgrown some of your favorite Aloha shirts but just can't give them away, stuff them with a pillow insert. I found Large sized Aloha shirts use a 28" square pillow insert. Simply button up the shirt, stuff the pillow inside, and fasten the bottom closed with some Velcro strips. Easy to remove, easy to wash, easy to reattach. I got my pillow inserts from Ebay, and use them in my tiki hut as back rests. Since the Velcro is attached with adhesive, you can remove them without ruining the shirt, should you want to wear the shirt again.

Aloha!
Myke

I would frame the shirt under glass, using a solid coordinating color as the background. You could use a bamboo-type frame also.

At the very least take the label out and...I don't know but I've been saving some of the labels from vintage shirts that I've worn out. Some of the labels themselves are works of art compared to modern clothing. Actually, a bar top with labels under glass would be cool. That must be what i was thinking of!

N
nuKKe posted on Tue, Sep 1, 2009 2:11 PM

On 2009-08-18 13:59, TikiGoddess wrote:
I would frame the shirt under glass, using a solid coordinating color as the background. You could use a bamboo-type frame also.

I like TikiGodess' idea and been planning to do so with an old punk t-shirt I've got.
If you really cannot avoid cutting the fabric, IKEA now sells blank frames to which you can fasten pieces of fabric. I'm sure that craft stores sell similar things too and it can actually be a nice design element, like a bunch of framed fabric aligned. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70126044

If you still want to wear it, you can take it to a seamstress/tailor and have her "flat line" it with a complimentary fabric.

Basically what they'll do is take the shirt apart at the seams, cut lining from the pattern and then sew it back together again.

This is what designers do with incredibly sheer/delicate fabrics.

you can make a zany Lucha Libre wrestling mask!
El Loco Koa!

Pages: 1 8 replies